cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix Z270i - Issues, Red CPU LED..

Malkan
Level 7
Hey,

So i built a new PC a few days ago and today when turning it off and moving it to a new desk, issues occured. (Rarely turn my pc´s off). After having it moved to the new desk, i plugin all the cables and start the pc - Wont POST and CPU_LED is lightning solid red. Pressed reboot button, took 5-10 sec then it rebooted and started flawlessly into windows.

I can reproduce the issue 8/10 times (tested) by turning PC off, pull power-cord out and wait 3-5 min each time, then it most likely wont post and getting stuck with red cpu led. It did happen once when i tested just rebooting system a few times aswell. I have reseated CPU + Cooler, no joy. Cant spot any bent pins, looks fine to me. I have no OC, only XMP turned on (3000mhz Corsair) rest is stock + fast boot turned off. The PC works flawlessly in Windows, been running stress-tests (Realbench) for 2 hrs. Will run overnight aswell.. Works fine in games, been playing Wildlands all week without hiccups.

I tried to reproduce the error with XMP turned off = Bios completely stock. Only tried 3 times, it booted every time fine, i will try more times to reproduce the issue with XMP off. So far with what i have tested, it seems to be a issue with xmp/bios, any suggestions? Been using google most of the day and it seems to be the exact same issue that people HAD with Asus z87-a, been reading quite a few topics about that which match my issues very well.

Specs:
Asus Strix z270i-gaming @ latest bios 0607 - Same issue on both available bios.
Intel i7 7700k (Delidded with Rockit88 delid tool) - works fine, had to be done because of 85+ temps @ stock in games, 90+ Aida64.. Now around 65c.
16GB Corsair 3000mhz ddr4 - CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Asus GTX 1080Ti
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M2 + 2x 250GB 850EVO.
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Corsair H100i v2 cooler
Corsair Obsidian 250D

Hopefully someone have a answer 🙂 Thanks!
96 REPLIES 96

kingkajsdhaskas
Level 7
Pretty much the same thing here (no delid) , but same MOBO/CPU/MEM(Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC24000/3000MHz) NVME is also a samsung but 500gb, PSU is evga g3 750w and GPU is also Asus but 1060.

Alot of random bugs in bios (saving OC profile for example) was fixed with the latest bios (0607) but cold starting with or without ERP active remains broken!!

When i cold start; red led lights up and stays up. If i press reset it seems to trigger something and the computer eventually restarts and sometimes it will post as if nothing was wrong. Other times it needs to post bios in safemode after restarting 3 times..

kingkajsdhaskasda wrote:
Pretty much the same thing here (no delid) , but same MOBO/CPU/MEM(Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC24000/3000MHz) NVME is also a samsung but 500gb, PSU is evga g3 750w and GPU is also Asus but 1060.

Alot of random bugs in bios (saving OC profile for example) was fixed with the latest bios (0607) but cold starting with or without ERP active remains broken!!

When i cold start; red led lights up and stays up. If i press reset it seems to trigger something and the computer eventually restarts and sometimes it will post as if nothing was wrong. Other times it needs to post bios in safemode after restarting 3 times..

Yeah thats my exact issue!!! Bios safemode a few times aswell. I ordered a new cpu and memory today before i saw your reply, that was a *waste.. Happy that you posted, thank you! Sucks that we have issues though.

One thing i did after my post last night was to run Aida64 stress test. I ran cpu/fpu/cache for 8hrs without error but when i add System memory aswell i got hardware failure after 10 min, 2nd run it took 2 hrs for error.

Any chance you could try this aswell? With XMP only in Bios.
It seems to be an issue with our bios/xmp/memory*

I registered on these forums just to reply to you, took awhile unfortunately before i was allowed to post, sorry 🙂 I ran prime 95 (blend), for almost 2 hours and got no errors, ill try aida later today and see what happens. Ill report back!

kingkajsdhaskasda wrote:

I'm having issues like that on my IX Hero mobo. Sometimes when I start up my PC from a cold start, the screen won't show anything. But when I press the Reset button, the computer will boot up like nothing happened. It's something with the RAM on these new boards.
Jonathan Jung

Raja
Level 13
If it's only happening when you're using XMP, it's likely due to memory instability which causes a POST failure. Culprits are usually SA and IO voltage. Outside that, some of the memory sub-timings can also need relaxing. Would advise you list the memory kit part number in the opening post, as well.

For me it happens with or without XMP these mems is what im using which should be supported; CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

I got the same memory kit CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, should not Corsairs memory be supported on a Asus board? Seeing how popular Corsair are.. Any suggestions about voltages and timings to try?

Edit; Just got home from work, before i left for work this morning i left Aida64 - System memory test ONLY running, it failed after 6 min.

Our mem is listed in the QVL pdf: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/HelpDesk_QVL/ which should mean it was tested and supported. I ran AIDA64 with CPU/FPU/CACHE for 1 hour no errors displayed that i could see (do the errors show in a report of some kind?), i forgot to mention i ran memtest86 on Saturday for little more than an hour (3 passes) no errors.

kingkajsdhaskasda wrote:
Our mem is listed in the QVL pdf: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/HelpDesk_QVL/ which should mean it was tested and supported. I ran AIDA64 with CPU/FPU/CACHE for 1 hour no errors displayed that i could see (do the errors show in a report of some kind?), i forgot to mention i ran memtest86 on Saturday for little more than an hour (3 passes) no errors.

1) The QVL states the following: "Memory module with memory frequency higher than 2133 MHz and its corresponding timing or the loaded XMP Profile is not the JEDEC memory standard. The stability and compatibility of these memory modules depend on the CPU’s capabilities and other installed devices."

2) During POST, the memory is trained and tested. If memory doesn't have enough stability margin, it will fail that process. The fact it passes memory stress tests just implies that it's stable IF it POSTs. What it doesn't tell you is whether the training routines can guarantee the same margin every time. To help improve the stability margin for POST, SA and IO voltages need to be correctly tuned for your CPU, and you may need to relax the memory timings somewhat if your setup isn't stable with the ASUS XMP settings.

-Raja