cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to understand positive Offset mode better.

Akreontage
Level 10
Hi all!
I've been using my Asus Rog Rampage IV Formula for years now, it is awesome btw, But in all these years I couldn't understand why I encounter so many posts that suggest to use positive offset mode with regular llc. In the end I think I don't understand it at all.
Let me first explain what I do. I have i7-3930k and I am running it @4.4Ghz. I use High LLC with negative offset (-0.070). When stress testing I can use -0.075 under 100% load but when it's operating normally I get bsods from time to time. 0.070 is when my system is perfectly stable.
With that OC core voltage stays at 0.792-0.800 when idling and raises to 1.248 when under full load.
Temperatures respectively: 24-29 min, 58-60 max.
The question is: what's wrong with that OC? Why would anyone suggest to use positive offset mode? What's the point of positive offset mode if it raises voltage drastically and temperatures as the result?
I hope you understand my question.
Thanks!
Corsair Carbide 500R | Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7-3930k 4.4Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 32Gb 1600Mhz 9cl | Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G | Samsung 850 Evo | WD1002FAEX | Antec HCP-1200 | NZXT Kraken x62
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hi Akreontage

It seems what you are encountering is more or less a trade off.

Regular LLC with a positive offset obviously adds more voltage.

High LLC overshoots the voltage is why you use a negative offset to lower it.

Either or is ok to use. I like to keep at or very close to the voltage I set, if the voltage is lower then I might raise LLC or use a positive offset if it's higher then I use a negative offset as you've done.

Don't go to far with the negative offset as this affects idle voltage too.

As long as the voltage is at or very close to what you're setting all is good.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Akreontage

It seems what you are encountering is more or less a trade off.

Regular LLC with a positive offset obviously adds more voltage.

High LLC overshoots the voltage is why you use a negative offset to lower it.

Either or is ok to use. I like to keep at or very close to the voltage I set, if the voltage is lower then I might raise LLC or use a positive offset if it's higher then I use a negative offset as you've done.

Don't go to far with the negative offset as this affects idle voltage too.

As long as the voltage is at or very close to what you're setting all is good.

Thanks for your reply!
So, as far as I understand the bad thing is that when you use negative offset it sets idling voltages far too low? Can you explain a little bit further why is it so bad, and why does it affect chip's life?
Corsair Carbide 500R | Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7-3930k 4.4Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 32Gb 1600Mhz 9cl | Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G | Samsung 850 Evo | WD1002FAEX | Antec HCP-1200 | NZXT Kraken x62

Nate152
A negative offset is only a bad thing if your pc is unstable at idle, other than that the negative offset is a good thing. 🙂