cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z270H won't post with XMP 3200 memory setting

zorin1
Level 7
I need some advice of what could be going on.
Hardware list:
STRIX Z270H GAMING BIOS 0906
I7-7700k CPU
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

When I boot up with the BIOS at the default settings everything work. When I go and put the XMP over clock for the memory ONLY, the machine boot once. Once you turn off the computer and reboot it will not post. No BIOS screen, the fans on the case and power supply will spin but the fans on the cpu cooler will not spin.

I have to hold the power switch in until the machine turns off then turn off the power supply and wait for the lights on the inside to turn off. Once this happens, I can get back into the BIOS.

I can’t get the XMP 3200 memory to post after a reboot. I have tried to lower the Memory speed, but it will only seem to post if I lower it to 2800. Do I have bad memory? What could be my problem?

thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi zorin1

On the Extreme Tweaker Tab try setting:

CPU System Agent voltage - 1.15v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.15v

You can also try Maximus Tweak Mode 2

Does this get your ram at 3200MHz ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi zorin1

On the Extreme Tweaker Tab try setting:

CPU System Agent voltage - 1.15v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.15v

You can also try Maximus Tweak Mode 2

Does this get your ram at 3200MHz ?

Both are set to auto
CPU System Agent voltage - [1.232v]
CPU VCCIO voltage - [1.136v]

I don't know enough about what the voltage should be set too but for the CPU System Agent Voltage you want me to set it 1.15v which seems a lot lower than the default. Is this correct?

I can confirm this. Im having the same problem with 3200mhz memory on 0906... I can still boot to desktop with XMP but my cpu is running 800mhz :D. Older bios 0801 works fine for me though. :confused:

Z270G
G.Skill Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)

I confirm this too.

Z270G
32 GB Corsair CMK32GX4M4B3600C18

gehemnix wrote:
I confirm this too.

Z270G
32 GB Corsair CMK32GX4M4B3600C18

Is your ram running at its rated specs ?

Nate152 wrote:
Is your ram running at its rated specs ?

Hey Nate152. I didn't elaborate here, because I already wrote a few lines in the BIOS release thread. I gladly share again what I experienced.

Unfortunately the new BIOS 0906 - STRIX Z270G GAMING - is not working properly with XMP settings. When loading Windows with XMP enabled the Computer just freezes at Windows loading screen and I must reboot. Interestingly, it passes the internal memory test at post. With XMP disabled the Computer is loading Windows properly but it feels slower than usual. I had no such issues before. Everything was working fine (and thus at rated specs) under BIOS rev 0701 and 0801.

I did not take a look at the System Agent and VCCIO voltages like you, zorin1 & appe_ suggested but instead went back to the old BIOS.

Do you think Asus will fix this with the next revision?

gehemnix wrote:
Hey Nate152. I didn't elaborate here, because I already wrote a few lines in the BIOS release thread. I gladly share again what I experienced.

Unfortunately the new BIOS 0906 - STRIX Z270G GAMING - is not working properly with XMP settings. When loading Windows with XMP enabled the Computer just freezes at Windows loading screen and I must reboot. Interestingly, it passes the internal memory test at post. With XMP disabled the Computer is loading Windows properly but it feels slower than usual. I had no such issues before. Everything was working fine (and thus at rated specs) under BIOS rev 0701 and 0801.

I did not take a look at the System Agent and VCCIO voltages like you, zorin1 & appe_ suggested but instead went back to the old BIOS.

Do you think Asus will fix this with the next revision?

It was pretty easy to change the System Agent and VCCIO voltages. The weird thing that I saw with the newest bios is that every time I went into the BIOS the default settings for the System Agent and VCCIO were different. When I was using BIOS 0801, every once it an while the system would not post from a cold start. I would have to flip off the PSU and wait until the lights went out on the mother board and then turn it back on. I would say that this happened about once every 5 cold starts. After I dialed in the voltages for the SA and VCCIO, I have not noticed this problem. I have done at least 10 cold starts so far.

Really weird about the default settings changing for the SA an VCCIO.

mikkojeejee wrote:
I can confirm this. Im having the same problem with 3200mhz memory on 0906... I can still boot to desktop with XMP but my cpu is running 800mhz :D. Older bios 0801 works fine for me though. :confused:

Z270G
G.Skill Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)

It's normal for your cpu to be idling at 800MHz, it should ramp up under load.

Nate152 wrote:
It's normal for your cpu to be idling at 800MHz, it should ramp up under load.

It was running 800mhz under load too.. I "fixed" this by setting vccio and system agent voltages manually. I still think there is something wrong with this bios, since everything works with 0801... :confused: