Hi guys GL702VM owner here. Ambient room temp is around 27c-32c
    Idle laptop temps around 38c to 45c
    Load temps (max)
    76c GTA V. High,
    70 to 77c just cause 3 ultra
    50 to 60c CS GO
    I also have XTU -0.130mv
    and Msi afterburner with the settings for 1060 profile 3
    Also I would Definitely recommend Installing NoteBook Fan Control -Really helpful
    I don't see any lag or throttling even at max temps
    I removed the dust tapes below it and changed the refresh rate to 60HZ plus air-conditioned room and a cooler Master SF-17 cooler.
    Lastly I placed Foil Tape between the fan and Grills, as the air was not being pushed out completely

here you can see the Gaps
    Attachment 64453

this is the tape I used costs around $25
    Attachment 64454

after sticking the tape.. the third fan is poorly designed , it uses those inserts to Chanel the air out, does anyone have any idea how to inprove the airflow around it. thanks
    Attachment 64455

After Benchmark
    Attachment 64456
    Attachment 64457

Current Temps
    Attachment 64458

New ROGer Array

Hi everyone,

i just wanna tell you how i fixed the issue of this laptop overheating, it is a hi-risk fix but it is worth it.

You have to change the cooling paste of the CPU and GPU with this kind of paste :

http://www.coollaboratory.com/produc...ry-liquid-pro/

Here is a video showing part of a aplication to our laptop( warning there is a lack of some steps needed to aply the metal liquid.)

My steps to apply this "metal paste".

open the back of the laptop, disconnect the battery and disassemble the cooling system, first the fans and then the copper dissipation system.

then with alcohol and cotton sticks proceed to clean everything of the old paste.

In the video they use thermal conducting sheet, i used non-conductive paste to the parts around the cpu and gpu(power managent).

so here we go with the risky part:

1-To avoid if possible risk i covered around the cpu and gpu with kapton Tape.

2-Then, with the kit i bough, comes sandpaper ,you have to sand very carefully the copper , cpu and gpu.

4-Now clean everything very thoroughly again, at this point there is some copper and metal dust from the sanding that needs to be removed before doing anything else, use the alcohol sheet that comes with the kit.

3-then as the videos shows apply a minimun cuantity in the center of the copper of the cpu and gpy extending it with a cotton stick as the video shows, its better to apply less than u need and apply more later than apply too much(my advise).

4-Now we have to do the same to the gpu and cpu tops, very carefully (YOU CANNOT let loose the liquid metal or your computer is good as a brick) so apply a very small ball and extend it with a lot of care being very carefully to not let it fall of the top, it necesary put more liquid metal only if u are not able to extend it around all the surface, be carefull beacause not being able to extend it could be a product of a improper sanding and cleaning after .

5-Now, i applied the non-conductive thermal paste to the coils and power management around the gpu and cpu then put the copper system again with great care.

6-Fix the srews in the correct order(1-8),mount the fans and screw them ,connect the battery and put the backplate again.

7-Test it.

After this repaste my laptop went from 95ºC(CPU)(with turboboost,and GPU at 100% and taping the fans as described in the first post) to 75ºC(CPU)(with turboboost and GPU at 100%, with the fans taped again).

The side effect is that in idle now the gpu warms the cpu, because before this repaste the idle GPu was around 60º and idle CPU was around 45º and now both in idle are around 55ºC.

As i said at the beginning this is not for everyone, i would recommend waching videos of liquid metal repasting before triying to do it but the results are awesome, more or less a 20ºC decrease of average and far less noisy.

As i have seen in the other images it seems that in the revisions Asus added a third fan to cool it better (even it is evidenly a
    quick fix for the revisions), so i will try to simulate it with a cooling base that pump air into the middle air intake with turbine fans to cool it better, with a 3D print ninjaflex joint and some turbine fans.
    Last edited by Robotec; 11-23-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: revision 1

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

From what I've read, the liquid metal TIMs don't last. You may end up having to redo it vs a high performance traditional paste which would still provide good thermal conductance.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    From what I've read, the liquid metal TIMs don't last. You may end up having to redo it vs a high performance traditional paste which would still provide good thermal conductance.
    Well it`s true that this is a farily new paste , and the new versions are safer (more viscosity) BUT i dont see why they shouldnt last.

But taking into acount what i have done and other people accounts i dont see enought evidence to say that they dont last, in fact i havent see any. as they answer in this forum : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...uid-metal-tim/

i was afraid of ruining my 1500 bucks laptop too, so i did my research first and the conclusions couple with my results after 2 two months os usage are that doing it its worthwhile but risky.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Yes, as you say it's relatively new and there are different formulas. So I would just keep an eye on the temps and feel free to make a new thread to document its longevity. Thanks!
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Saxon 1778

I solved my temp issues on my GL702VS by the utilizing the following:

#1) I repasted using Arctiv mx-4 and using the spread method. <- This gave me 3-4c drop.
    #2) I taped the gaps using Blue Painters tape. I found if I used the aluminum heat duct tape I actually got hotter temps (prolly cause heat was being conducted from the heat pipes to the inside of case. <- This gave me another 3-4c drop.
    #3) I drilled holes underneath and lined up with the fan intakes <- This gave me another 3-5c drop.

Using these methods in Windows I never saw anything above 78c on cpu and nothing above 70c gpu. (without undervolting)

But in Linux I was still getting spikes to 91c under extreme loading of cpu and gpu at same time. So I undervolted -125 mV in Linux here is how:

If you want a per basis undervolt in terminal use:
    Code:
    sudo bash -c 'wrmsr 0x150 0x80000011f0000000 && wrmsr 0x150 0x80000111f0000000 && wrmsr 0x150 0x80000211f0000000 && wrmsr 0x150 0x80000311f0000000 && wrmsr 0x150 0x80000411f0000000'
    If you want it to be at every boot you need to add the following to
    Code:
    /etc/rc.local
    Code:
    modprobe msr
    /usr/sbin/wrmsr 0x150 0x80000011f0000000
    /usr/sbin/wrmsr 0x150 0x80000111f0000000
    /usr/sbin/wrmsr 0x150 0x80000211f0000000
    /usr/sbin/wrmsr 0x150 0x80000311f0000000
    /usr/sbin/wrmsr 0x150 0x80000411f0000000

exit 0
    Of course you'll need to install msr. And this will only work on bootup. If your laptop goes to sleep it WILL revert back to normal VID.

And as always YOU will be responsible for YOUR actions. Do not try what I have done under any circumstances! You WILL void your warranty and possible brick / ruin your system.

Spooky
    Last edited by SpookyWatcher; 01-09-2018 at 05:26 PM.

New ROGer Array

Well, after 5 months the laptop almost got fried by the liquid metal when it moved outside the cooling pad and i had to clean all the metal TIM, my laptop has only survived because i suspect the electronics shut down all power refered to the gpu and that saved my laptop.

So my conclusion its that after 5 months the experiment has been a partial sucess in the temperature but a failure in the final results because it wasnt designed for laptop use..

Right now its working with high end normal cooling paste and has come back to the normal 93ºC with heavy load.

In the future i will try the new http://www.coollaboratory.com/produc...lpad-notebook/ wich is specialy designed for laptops and portable devices

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4