cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with sound card

jbasemoine
Level 9
Hi there,

I have some problems with mij Creative sound blaster Z.
Every now and the there is this "popping sound" like if someone is pluggin in a microphone, this problems occours with everything i do.
This problem does occur less when i listen to music, in a movie of 90 minutes it happens around 9 times during the full lenght of the movie, when i'm gaming this happens verry ofter (every 5 to 6 minutes).
Also while gaming al sound stop at once at any random time, i'm using DTS and got my sound blaster hooked up through thoslink, when all sound stops i noticed that for some reason DTS has stoped.
When i go to windows (alt+tab) and open up the sound card drivers, deselect DTS and then reselect DTS the sound is back to normal.

I'm using the 2nd pci-e slot for my sound card, and tried al other slots so far these problems have become less with the 0902 bios update, but before 0902 i only had th "popping sound" isseu even though this "popping sound" occurs less with 0902 the DTS isseu occured after the 0902 Bios.

I would like know if i'm the only who suffer from this isseu or have diffrent sound card problems, or even better can offer a solution!?

P.s Check the sound card on diffrent pc, works perfect on that rig!
26 REPLIES 26

Raja
Level 13
Might be some kind of driver issue. Have you tried a lower sampling rate? You can also try the native Windows driver (assuming the card works with the MS native, uninstall the Creative driver), in order to debug.

Are you using a digital output of your soundcard? Like S/PDIF over TOSLINK or Cinch?
Then it's a problem of your soundcard and receiver. On calm parts of movies/games it will go in standby mode, and when it picks up a signal loud enough again wake up from that. Some sound receivers will then reinitialize and make the "pop" sound from powering the boxes.

I used the "Inaudible Tone" option on this tool to prevent the receiver switching to idle mode: https://blog.rhysgoodwin.com/htpc/spdif-keepalive/

im just curious as to why you would even use a sound card when the onboard audio is awesome .......
this motherboard's audio is nice...i wuz actually blown away by how good this board sounds compared to
my crosshair v formula z board.....and i do know sound ...i record music all the time ....
drums ...guitar, bass..... it all sounds so real after recording on this ......
save yourself a headache and try out the onboard sound!

Demoniacstar wrote:
im just curious as to why you would even use a sound card when the onboard audio is awesome .......
this motherboard's audio is nice...i wuz actually blown away by how good this board sounds compared to
my crosshair v formula z board.....and i do know sound ...i record music all the time ....

The onboard sound is way worse then the sound blaster Z.
Also the onboard sound had some isseus with me, the sound stopped for no reason what so ever also som static noise whas detected during game play.
And the lack of DTS/5.1 surround sound makes the onboard sound useless for me (i can go on for hours why i prefer DTS/surround sound over normal stereo).

Demoniacstar wrote:

Yes the sound is better than what the CH V Formula Z offered, but even my cheapest audio interface the Behringer UMC204HD sounds way better, and actually is capable of driving my Audio Technica ATH40X. With the on board even on 100% , a bit over half as loud compared to my audio interface. My KRK Rokit8 studio monitors don't sound that great either with on board.

Kobura wrote:
Are you using a digital output of your soundcard? Like S/PDIF over TOSLINK or Cinch?
Then it's a problem of your soundcard and receiver. On calm parts of movies/games it will go in standby mode, and when it picks up a signal loud enough again wake up from that. Some sound receivers will then reinitialize and make the "pop" sound from powering the boxes.

I used the "Inaudible Tone" option on this tool to prevent the receiver switching to idle mode: https://blog.rhysgoodwin.com/htpc/spdif-keepalive/

Yes i am using the digital output (s/pdif output) The reciever should not be the problem, i also doubt it is the sound card.
I'm using the same soundcard and same reciever as Always and never had this isseu with any of my previous pc's.
I am using the Logitech z-5500 (i believe that is the model i could be mistaken it is the black 300,0 dollar speaker set they have for almost a decade now :P) when i use the sound blaster (same setup as i have now) there are nor problems, the problems start occuring after i got my ryzen!
I will try out the driver/app you sent me in the link but i kinda doubt it would do any better! i will keep you posted on the results.

Like i said before the issue occurs less now that i run 0902 bios, the problem did occour more on bios 0507 (or 0508 i forget the exact numer) i have tried out multiple PCI slots, with all slote the problem occours, i have tried a diffrent pc (installe sound card + driver tested game and video) no problems on diffrent rig, never had isseus before.
All drivers are up to date!
Even tried diffrent Toshlink cable (a brand brand brand brand new one) still no diffrence.
Tried diffrent S/pdif port on speaker set, no diffrance.
The only thing i can try at this point is either teh drivers/ you provided or blow out the Digital output with compressed air, i cleaned the whole case, and some parts i took over from old pc to my rizen and cleaned them all with compressed air, even cleaned out the pc case, it might be that a flock of dust or something alike is in the digital output port (kinda doubt this but still!).

Hopefully someone else have a solution to this problem (or someone else suffer from same problem), also i am gonne try a diffrent creative driver (1 version before the lateste to see if the problems is creative driver related) and keep everyone posted on the results.

I have the same speaker set if it is the Z5500 and had to use aforementioned tool to keep TOSLINK busy so it wouldn't cut the audio off and come back with the annoying "pop". Back then i used it like this, because the integrated soundchip of the P8Z77-M PRO was rubbish, even compared to the Z5500 DAC.

Since then i switched to an ASUS Xonar U7 and plugged it in with normal 3.5mm jacks, since the Xonar has a vastly superior DAC compared to the Z5500.

If you use TOSLINK, then you use the mediocre Z5500 integrated DAC. For best sound quality i recommend using your C6H (yes, the DAC in the C6H is way better than the ancient one found in the Z5500) or Soundblaster DAC and plug it in 5.1 as 3.5mm audio jacks and set windows to use 5.1 correctly.

Kobura wrote:
I have the same speaker set if it is the Z5500 and had to use aforementioned tool to keep TOSLINK busy so it wouldn't cut the audio off and come back with the annoying "pop". Back then i used it like this, because the integrated soundchip of the P8Z77-M PRO was rubbish, even compared to the Z5500 DAC.

Since then i switched to an ASUS Xonar U7 and plugged it in with normal 3.5mm jacks, since the Xonar has a vastly superior DAC compared to the Z5500.

If you use TOSLINK, then you use the mediocre Z5500 integrated DAC. For best sound quality i recommend using your C6H (yes, the DAC in the C6H is way better than the ancient one found in the Z5500) or Soundblaster DAC and plug it in 5.1 as 3.5mm audio jacks and set windows to use 5.1 correctly.

i havn't used the 3.5mm audio jacks in ages, can you please confirm that if i run it through 3.5mm audio jack i can set it to DTS ?

i think with the asus software installed and some eq'en in that software the onboard sound is awesome .....i have no issue with it whatsoever ....
it's a big step up from the old fx crosshair ......
the sound is crisp and clean .....with just the right eq the music sounds like i'm standing in the room with the guys playing it .....
to me it's that good ....and i have been playing and recording music sence i wuz 8 years old ....so yeah i do have a ear for music and sound quality
did you install asus drivers and software ......or you just going off what ever windows installs?.....
i have had absolutely no issues ...and to me the sound on this board has been a real treat to experience...i dont need no headphone amp ...or external eq's anymore...
every thing i have seen in the software works correctly....i got no popping sounds ....in fact i run my 5.1 speakers at high volume while keeping the pc volume low and i hear nothing ...no buzzing ...no humming ........if you got those kinds of issues maybe it's your speakers .....maybe it's a crappy connection.....
and the sound blaster ...lmao ...i have heard them .....i have had one ......i wuz not impressed by it at all. i have had many sound cards and recording devices i have not been impressed by any of them, not like i am with this onboard sound here.....
i'm loving it ....at least at launch these boards have got something right on them.....