Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU usage has increased and fluctuates

LevelXTreme
Level 7
Hello all.
First time posting here.
Have recently run into a strange CPU usage problem during gameplay.
It seems in concurance of a windows 10 update and persists after clean install.
Basically I'm running a 7700k at 5ghz in games half optimized for the better I won't see over 50% on a core.
Mafia 3 etc. is an exception because of its port.
I have been playing saints row 4 for a few weeks left it for a few days and instantly noticed afterburner OSD showing one core at 60-68% just after I start running around.
In this game it's always been low.*This alternates between cores*
*Other games do the exact same thing now. To the point the usage looks very close to all games now.
No processes are eating my CPU. I'm even seeing short bursts of 100% usage on desktop if I'm doing something random.
Now I reset factory settings in bios and ram the CPU at stock and what does it show around the same usage.
I'm noticing some frame rate drops and stuttering now also.
So I can't workout what the problem is as I mention resource meter looks fine. All I can think of is I didn't game for a few days and some updates were pushed which my CPU isn't liking however I reinstalled but it "upgraded" to the latest version automatically pretty much instantly. Or msi afterburner is showing a wrong reading now.
Only thing I noticed a change in is VRAM usage used to display for just one card but now shows usage on both cards.
But that doesn't explain why I'm getting 100% on the desktop sometimes.*
Or my CPU has a problem.*

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.*
6 REPLIES 6

LevelXTreme
Level 7
Anyone?.
I'm getting like 28% CPU usage in afterburner but single cores are hitting 60% plus now. On a non CPU intensive game.
They never went over 50.
About 2% process usage in the background.
It's the same at stock 4.5ghz or over clocked at 5ghz.*

Have a look at these threads:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90669-Maximus-IX-Hero-cpu-temp-spikes-and-fan-cycling

Maybe you experience the same syndrom of heat spikes.

Try monitoring the temperature at low load (e.g web surfing)

Sadly, I have heat spikes, temp and CPU load jumping up and down every time I make anything.
In idle everything is cool and quiet.

Links wrote:
temp and CPU load jumping up and down every time I make anything.

As I tried to explain in one of your other threads, that ^^^ is absolutely normal, that is how the system was designed...
If you are pushing the CPU with high voltages (or the board is setting high voltages by default), you will have high temp spikes during the load spikes...
When you are setting up a system, that's the key to find a balance between the voltages/temps and your cooling solution...

If the load is suddenly increased, you have to check what is running in the background... go to the Task Manager and check the Processes... - before you end any of the tasks, make sure you know what they are doing...

I don't think, I am the only idiot around.
Does clicking a link realy makes that much of a load?
Scrolling through a folder with 20 pictures?
A stress test is heating the CPU as much, as changing wallpapper.
I don't argue too much that this behavior is not normal, but it's definitly annoying to hear the fan's howl.
Thank you for the explanation of course.
What you say is pretty clear.
But spikes appear even at stock voltages/clocks.

Intel's forum continues to grow with same threads:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/112839

My temps are fine.
I have a custom loop with 2x xspc rx480 v2 rads 1x ek140.
2x d5 vario pumps in a dual bay res.
Corsair obsideon 900D case.
17 fans all up.
Sli 1080s full coverage ek blocks and backplates.
Gpus at full load don't go over 38 degrees.
CPU at 5ghz 1.31v idle 1.328v during stressing dependent on test and its only just started cooling down the last few weeks ambient is lower doesn't break 75degrese.
The highest I will see is 58 gaming.
Now it's set back to stock full load is around 40 degrees.
It's just frustrating watching my cores hitting like 80% usage in saints row 4 then drop a second later to 40 e.g.
I swear it only started when I reinstalled windows 10.
It's fully updated again still remains.
Process monitor has nothing I mean I haven't even bothered turning off unnesessery processes in Msconfig because idling on desktop uses like 2% of my CPU.
No programs spike the usage. Even norton uses less than a % nothing. Malware bytes same deal.*
It's when I'm in a game if I alt tab and check cores individually I see massive readings on 8 graphs.
Even if I ram dsr down the gpus neck out of curiosity it doesn't really keep them down.
I swear I never saw over 50% usage on any core/thread unless the game was unoptimized.
Especially at 5ghz.
Only other thing I can really say is I alt+tabbed out of the game without checking anything just for curiosity and it appeared the CPU usage went down and looked closer to what it used to.
Don't know if that rings bells for anyone maybe it took the load off and reportings changed or something I'm not sure.*

JustinThyme
Level 13
open up task manager and see what processes are running it up. There has been a lot of issues with WMI provider host lately, especially if you are running the insider preview program. Even the latest 15063 runs it up 10-30%. This is a necessaary service to run a lot of background apps. Want to get rid of some of them have a look at the link and remove what you dont want or need. That will get a lot of the incidental loads off.

multipoint connector is a serious problem child at the minute.
https://www.howtogeek.com/250228/what-windows-10s-optional-features-do-and-how-to-turn-them-on-or-of...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein