cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chipset PCIe slots don't detect/enumerate properly

Timur_Born
Level 7
On the RME Audio forum someone wrote that he failed to get his RME AES (proessional PCIe audio card) to be recognized in both an Asus X370 Pro and Asrock Killer board until he used a 16x slot.

I did some testing with various RME cards and threw in a Creative X-Fi and Sonnet SATA (Marvell) card on top of it. Long story short, the various cards get or get not detected/enumerated differently in different slots. The only slot where all cards get detected is the middle 16x(8x) slot that has PCIe lanes connected to the CPU, that is with a NVidia GPU in the top slot.

- The RME Madi FX, Creative X-Fi and Sonnet card seem to work in all slots.

- Two non FX RME Madi cards only work in the CPU 8x slot.

- A RME AIO works in every slot, except for slot 1_3!

I tried two Pericom based PCIe-PCI bridge cards in that slot 3_1 and ran one or two PCI RME HDSP AES via those bridges, both worked.

So there's quite a lot of work ahead of AMD and motherboard manufacturers.
9 REPLIES 9

Timur_Born
Level 7
I would like to get a statement from Asus' side on this issue. Currently I cannot run 2x RME HDSPe Madi cards, because only the CPU connected PCIe (8_2) works and 16/8_1 is obviously reserved for the GPU.

Since this forum doesn't seem to be the right place to report/discuss PCIe related issues, what is the most appropriate contact that will get the information to people who can use it to fix the bugs?!

I tried increasing the SB voltage and various other BIOS options, but that didn't change anything.

At first I thought SB voltage helped, but it turned out that I did not test both Madi cards properly and one of the two works in all PCIe slots, while the other only works in the CPU slots. I know that at least one of the two is not fully functional, so that can be the reason. Still the CPU slots seem to work better and there also is the odd case of only PCIe 1_3 not working with the AIO card.

In the specs on the RME site it reads "1-Lane PCI Express Endpoint device (no PCI Express to PCI Bridge), revision 1.1."

Is it possible they mean it is not working behind a PCIe Bridge? Every PCIe slot behind the X370 chipset (which are all, except the two x16 slots from the CPU) is probably bridged.

What they mean by this is that the bus on the card (connected via FPGA) is native PCIe. This was a special feature back when these cards came out, because many so called PCIe audio cards used old PCI logic on their boards and then just put a bridge in between.

The same cards work in a Z87 board where several slots run via PCIe switches. And the X16/x8 slots on the CH6 also run via switches that switch 8 lanes from X16 to X8_2 when both slots are populated. Like on many other mainboards there are 4 switch right below X16 slot.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so have mercy on me.

Based on the desc. of your problem I believe my Hotlava Shasta NIC is having a similar issue as your audio card(s). I have verified the card works 100% as expected in an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 board, but in the Crosshair VI Hero the individual NICs always show "10 - cannot start." Updating the drivers has no effect. Changing the OS also has no effect.

This card might very well use a PLX chip on it to allow the three Intel 82576EB dual port NIC chips to share a PCIe x4 slot. I would suspect the enumeration issue you are facing is similar to the one I am experiencing. (I have placed this NIC into the PCIe 2.0 slot.)

Any advice on this is appreciated since this machine doubles as my VDI research box and I need access to my storage / NVGRE networks.

Thanks for everyone's input and do take care,

-Josh.

I'm glad to find this thread - but it seems that Asus pays no attention to it...

I have the same symptoms others have described here. See the attached mobo pic where I have numbered the PCIe slots for clarity. My slot #1 is occupied with a GPU card, as is usual, so it is not part of the discussion here.

I have two PCIe multi-port USB3 adapter cards that I need to use. These are known good since I just took them out of a much older Asus ROG Formula mobo where they worked fine. From their specs it seems that they require only PCIe x1.

--> My problem is that I can use only one of these USB3 adapter cards, and only if I install it in slot #4. Neither of these adapters will work in slots #2,3,5, or 6.

Asus really needs to address this. How is it there are so few complaints? I'm on BIOS ver 1201.

----------
Oh - but the silly colored lights seem fine. Every time I open the case to move the USB cards around, there they are, blinking away...

Dear All:

I have tried few PCIE AUDIO Cards working just fine with this version of BIOS.
Please download it, and try on your mobo again.
If the question still occur, please tell us the detail of your PCIE card.
Thanks!

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Timur_Born
Level 7
PCIe enumeration still doesn't work properly on the C6H. One of my Firewire PCIe cards is TI based (PCI bridge internally) and one LSI based (native PCIe). Both are detected properly and work flawlessly, but when a chipset based PCIe port is used then the LSI based one vanishes from the system after a soft-off shutdown.

Only way to get it back is to switch slots, a simple cold-boot or pull out + put back in does not help.

This doesn't seem to happen in the CPU connected middle x16 PCIe slot.

I am currently using BIOS version 9920.