cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability Issues With 3rd Party Backplates/Foam Pads

kildar
Level 9
Most of my 08 and 0d Q-code issues seem to be from the HK back plate/foam pad.

I did not get the AM4 BP and pad in my kit and I am using the AM3 back plate and pad.

Instead of torquing down the nuts to the stop I torqued them just enough so that my temps where the same as if I had them torqued all the way down.

I believe that this has relieved some of the pressure off of the MB and has stopped most of my 08 and 0d codes on reboot.

Please let me know your results.

Mel
5 REPLIES 5

Rashkae
Level 7
Look at my other thread - most will tell you it's your fault for over tightening LOL

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92041-Is-only-the-CH6-sensitive-to-CPU-HSF-pressure&p=6410...

The instructions for the EK state that you must tighten them all the way. They have spring and a set stop.

So how could I be over tightening them?

Rashkae wrote:
Look at my other thread - most will tell you it's your fault for over tightening LOL

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92041-Is-only-the-CH6-sensitive-to-CPU-HSF-pressure&p=6410...

On another note...

EK uses this same type of set up for Intel motherboards and they do not fail to post.

I have the exact same setup except for the back plate on a Asus Maximus V Extreme and the nuts/lugs are tightened all the way down
and I've never had a fail to post with it.

So...... it's either the pad being conductive some how or the plate degign on the C6H or the C6H itself has a design flaw.

MNMadman
Level 8
Some people who are using EK blocks are having problems with the center portion of the rubber gasket. If they remove the center portion of the gasket and just use the outer portion, it boots fine. But if they use the full gasket, it doesn't boot. I'm one of those people. However, not all are affected. I'm using the AM4 bracket and backplate and I have it cranked down fully, like the instructions say.

MNMadman wrote:
Some people who are using EK blocks are having problems with the center portion of the rubber gasket. If they remove the center portion of the gasket and just use the outer portion, it boots fine. But if they use the full gasket, it doesn't boot. I'm one of those people. However, not all are affected. I'm using the AM4 bracket and backplate and I have it cranked down fully, like the instructions say.

Will say this here again (already stated in the other thread someone eagerly linked):

The EK gasket is mildly conductive and ends up shorting some of the board's test points. EK is offering a replacement gasket. If you don't want to wait for a replacement, cover the gasket in non-conductive tape.