cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

460 GTx problem

Retired
Not applicable
So i bought a new computer from scratch, Asus motherboard, P6T to be exact, a cooler master 600 W power supply, 6 gigs of kingston DIMM triple channel ram, Intel Core i7 950 3,07 ghz, and last but not least a Asus Engtx 460 top 768mb, now ever since i got the computer i sent it back 3 times, always looking like a fool, it all started as i was playing Wow and the main screen where the dragon would fly would be all choppy and weird, then i would get a TRD message saying the display crashed and rebooted... i sent it there and they never found anything wrong with it, they put it all together btw they suggested it being my monitor). A week later i continue to play wow and its still messing up, i try another game and still it messes up.i sent it back with my monitor and they come to conclusion that my monitor is defected.Now i change the monitor and start playing WOw and AGAAAIN the card messes up, i even tried on my old acer 19 inches monitor and still the same problem, so i send it back and they dont beleive me, even with screenshots and pitures with my iphone, so the guy brought my video card to his place , he has a similar set-up and claims he played Black ops for 3 hours and never had the slightest problem, i bought this computer 2 months ago, and i havent played wow in three weeks, i decided to give it a go yesterday , and after 5 minutes in game, BOOM same probleme, so i decide to pop in mass effects 2 and still the same, ohh and in between all those tries, i formatted and did a clean install windows 7 64 bit. so now here i am out of solutions but maybe someone here can help me out!! i have some images of what happens in WOW and Mass effects 2, and most probably SC2 and Crysis.

13 REPLIES 13

Retired
Not applicable
uhhh out of the 18 ppl who viewed this no one can help?? :S

celticguy75
Level 8
Sounds like either two things to me..

1 - Check your video & sound drivers (yes, sound drivers can have a detrimental effect on video) Make sure you've got the latest updates.
2 - Heat can also cause problems, especially if your gpu is getting warm. It may be that the airflow within your system is at fault.

The only other thing I can suggest is the settings within the games.. you might be pushing the card hard depending on the graphic choices. Dial them down a few notches and see if that helps. If it does, increment them back up again until you hit the sweet spot.

xeromist
celticguy may be onto something. I'm guessing when the techs were testing your computer they probably had it on a test bench with the side panel off. This may have caused a different air flow resulting in some components being cooler. You could try taking the panel off and directing a large fan into the case to see if there's any difference. You could also ask them what the ambient temperature in their shop is. If they keep it like an ice box then that might explain things as well.

Did the place that built your computer test it by running the same sequence of any of the games you've found to cause the problem btw? Perhaps their tests aren't stressing the same things that your usage is stressing. What kind of warranty does this shop offer? If they sold you a computer that is not working for what you need and they cannot find the problem then you may just want to get a refund and shop somewhere else.

As to the delay in getting an answer, we have a lot of lurkers on the forum that just want to read and may not have any technical help. Since this is a growing community there are only a few of us that consistently try to offer suggestions but hopefully that will get better. Also being the weekend most of the official ASUS people aren't going to be around.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
you have the latest nvidia drivers installed?

Retired
Not applicable
Brian@ASUS wrote:
you have the latest nvidia drivers installed?

yeah, when i bought the card in September i had the 259.89 i think and had the problem, an 260.99 didn't fix it, someone mentioned the 258 drivers on another forum, but i have no idea what he was talking about

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Install furemark and do a stability test, or ATItools and do a scan for artifact. If you get artifact of the problem occur infuremark, I would concider RMA the GPU. Try other people step before since RMAsuck because you lose the computer for few week XD
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
martin_metal_88 wrote:
Install furemark and do a stability test, or ATItools and do a scan for artifact. If you get artifact of the problem occur infuremark, I would concider RMA the GPU. Try other people step before since RMAsuck because you lose the computer for few week XD

Hey Salut quebecois! ouin jai fais Furmark ma essayer l'autre ATItools, ill do a couple of tests to see if theres any artifacts, i know for a fact sometimes im looking at a picture on facebook and theres little red pixels in the dark colors

Retired
Not applicable
ok so i tested with atitools. and the cube stop turning and my computer does error sounds every second, also i get and error message when i open up atitools

heres the pictures i took

martin_metal_88
Level 8
If I can see well the yellow spot on the furr cube are artifact. I would like to see a bigger picture before saying what they are but normally this thing don't have yellow spot. So I would call for a defective card. Sorry my friend.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!