cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C6H - Connect just 8-pin EATX_12V or both 8-pin and 4-pin?

sareedco
Level 7
I did a search on this question but did not find anything specific to the Crosshair VI Hero. Do I connect both the 8-pin EATX_12V and 4-pin EATX_12V to the PSU or just the 8-pin? Threads on other motherboards seem to indicate that it is safest to connect both. Just want to verify whether that is the case for the Crosshair VI Hero? Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

SinartNZ
Level 7
I've tested and it seems to work fine with the 8 pin but without the 4 pin I'd say overclocking would be limited.

Raja
Level 13
For a 4Ghz overclock with an 1800X CPU, just the 8-pin should be sufficient. A single 8-pin connector is rated to pass over 400 Watts of power.

And for comparison, running Intel Burn Test, Prime95 and the like usually lands you at less than 350 w at the wall (whole PC system).

I use just the 8 pin and have a 1700 OCed to 4ghz, no issues also I don't believe the other x370 boards have more than the one 8 pin
An*

StarfireX wrote:
I use just the 8 pin and have a 1700 OCed to 4ghz, no issues also I don't believe the other x370 boards have more than the one 8 pin
An*

Can you share with as your settings for 4GHz?

I also use only 8 pin...

I am also only using the 8-pin.

MNMadman
Level 8
I use both but with the overclock ceiling I don't think it really matters.

Thanks everyone! I will go with just the 8-pin at this point, as I'm not looking to go much past 4GHz right now.

Zka17
Level 16
I always connect both CPU power connectors... it does not hurt anything... - and when you're bitten by the clocking bug, it will be already there! 🙂