ROG Member Array

Question Usually get Q-Code 8 upon booting, sometimes boots normally

Final Update:

This issue was resolved after getting a new Crosshair Hero VI board. We've been using it for nearly a month and there have been no issues so far.

So, to clarify: Q-Code 8 does NOT necessarily mean that there is a CPU issue, as we swapped identical CPUs and the error still occurred. It also does not necessarily mean that it is a CPU cooler over-tightening issue, as we played around with it, and even just gently placed it on top of the CPU without screws. It CAN be a motherboard issue, as was the case with us.

---

Update: I thought that we fixed it, but the 08 code came on again this morning. Shut down/cycled power several times yesterday and it worked flawlessly, even playing Overwatch, etc. We took the motherboard and all components out, unplugged/repulugged everything, dusted the CPU and socket (even found a hair), reseated the CPU and made sure that it was sitting properly. This is looking like a motherboard issue, not a CPU issue. Like I said earlier, we swapped CPUs and coolers between System 1 and System 2 and System 2 is still showing Q-Code 08.

---

This edited version of this thread is a more accurate version.

AMD 1800X, stock
    ASUS Crosshair Hero VI
    G. SKill TridentZ 3200, stock
    EVGA G3 750W
    Noctua NH-U14S
    Windows 10 Home 64

We have two identical Ryzen 1800x systems. System 2 was awoken from sleep and displayed Q-Code 8, "System Agent Initialization after microcode loading." We've never had a single issue running this system since building it in early March. Turning off the system and turning it back on again, same thing. Suspecting a CPU problem, we swapped CPUs and coolers between System 1 and 2, same thing with System 2. (System 1 is working fine with System 2's previous CPU.)

Took the motherboard out, put it on an anti-static bag on the desk, took off the fan, and gave it CPU and motherboard power. Only the CPU and cooler are installed. Loosened the heatsink completely and simply pressed on it to rule out heatsink tightness/uneveness issues and we still get Q-Code 8.

Earlier, sometimes leaving the computer running (everything installed) with Q-Code 8 would boot up Windows after 10, 20, 30+ minutes to get Q-Code 24 (which means fine). Sometimes it booted up just fine right away (though always starting with Q-Code 8). Tried flashing multiple BIOS, nothing. Clearing CMOS, nothing. Taking the battery out for 15 minutes, nothing. Updating graphics drivers, chipset drivers, nothing.

Soft restarting if Windows was already running seemed to be fine, but hard power on/off would usually result in another Q-Code 8. One time, Windows just froze and the monitor went blank with the Q-Code showing a normal code (30 or 24). Not sure if this was related but it never happened before Q-Code 8 started showing up.

Something may be "loose." System 2 tends to start more often when the case is on its side but less often when upright. Is it something to do with the wires? Dust somewhere where it shouldn't be?

What can be causing this? Any help is really appreciated.
    Last edited by booseek; 04-28-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Update

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

Sounds like it's during the initial checks prior to post. Is it hanging at a specific QLED during that time that might identify the hardware component it's looking at?

ROG Member Array

Yes, it is hanging at Q-Code 8

Yes, it is hanging at Q-Code 8. The code does not suggest that any particular component is the culprit, however. Like I mentioned above, I also tried disconnecting all components except the the CPU, heatsink, and CPU fan, including all other fans, front panel headers, etc.

Yesterday, after several minutes of Q-Code 8, it cycled through some others and reached Q-Code 0d. Today, it booted just fine a few times, but only when the case was on its side.
    Last edited by booseek; 03-31-2017 at 07:49 PM.

BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home

Sorry, I wasn't referring to the Q Code. There are three sets of OnBoard LEDs that help with troubleshooting. The Q-Code LED display, the CPU ready LED, and the Q LEDs.

The four QLED are directly below the Q Code display, yellow, red, white and, green. Each of them represents a hardware step during the pre-post checks. You can watch it cycle through the four of them when you power on. If it hits an error in the process, whichever of those it is trying to validate will remain lit until the error passes and it moves on.

yellow = RAM
    red = CPU
    white = VGA
    green = boot

May not help at all with your issue, but for informational purposes. I got Q Code 0d when I was building, but I never really identified the exact culprit. The only things I did before it went away, were to swap the CPU fan header (the BIOS wasn't reading a CPU fan speed where it was) and I moved around my monitor cable. It seemed like the machine was actually reaching the BIOS screen just fine in my case, and I just wasn't getting display where my monitor was plugged in. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I seem to recall that I continued to get 0d on every successful post, until I installed an operating system. Seemed like it was kicking 0d when it failed to find a bootable drive.
    Last edited by BaneSilvermoon; 04-01-2017 at 01:24 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BaneSilvermoon View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to the Q Code. There are three sets of OnBoard LEDs that help with troubleshooting. The Q-Code LED display, the CPU ready LED, and the Q LEDs.

The four QLED are directly below the Q Code display, yellow, red, white and, green. Each of them represents a hardware step during the pre-post checks. You can watch it cycle through the four of them when you power on. If it hits an error in the process, whichever of those it is trying to validate will remain lit until the error passes and it moves on.

yellow = RAM
    red = CPU
    white = VGA
    green = boot

May not help at all with your issue, but for informational purposes. I got Q Code 0d when I was building, but I never really identified the exact culprit. The only things I did before it went away, were to swap the CPU fan header (the BIOS wasn't reading a CPU fan speed where it was) and I moved around my monitor cable. It seemed like the machine was actually reaching the BIOS screen just fine in my case, and I just wasn't getting display where my monitor was plugged in. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I seem to recall that I continued to get 0d on every successful post, until I installed an operating system. Seemed like it was kicking 0d when it failed to find a bootable drive.
    Thanks. The green CPU ready light was on. The issue is fixed (updated above).

BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home

Glad you got it resolved

For reference, I just noticed this in the extreme over-clocking guide.

Common POST codes
    8 Equivalent to 00 on other platforms, CPU not operational
    4b/FA No DRAM detected/installed
    F9(→0d) DRAM Training failed. Note that 0d is also displayed during final POST before boot.
    90/CF DRAM recovery, reset to proceed 06 DRAM unstable
    3b DRAM unstable, could be because of unsupported DRAM Ratio
    0C Displays at runtime when CPU enters “OC Mode”
    Last edited by BaneSilvermoon; 04-01-2017 at 02:59 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BaneSilvermoon View Post
    Glad you got it resolved

For reference, I just noticed this in the extreme over-clocking guide.

Common POST codes
    8 Equivalent to 00 on other platforms, CPU not operational
    4b/FA No DRAM detected/installed
    F9(→0d) DRAM Training failed. Note that 0d is also displayed during final POST before boot.
    90/CF DRAM recovery, reset to proceed 06 DRAM unstable
    3b DRAM unstable, could be because of unsupported DRAM Ratio
    0C Displays at runtime when CPU enters “OC Mode”
    Thanks. Update, as per above:

I thought that we fixed it, but the 08 code came on again this morning. Shut down/cycled power several times yesterday and it worked flawlessly, even playing Overwatch, etc. We took the motherboard and all components out, unplugged/repulugged everything, dusted the CPU and socket (even found a hair), reseated the CPU and made sure that it was sitting properly.

This is looking like a motherboard issue, not a CPU issue. Like I said earlier, we swapped CPUs and coolers between System 1 and System 2 and System 2 is still showing Q-Code 08.

ROG Member Array

Fixed after getting new Crosshair VI board

Update, as per above:

This issue was resolved after getting a new Crosshair Hero VI board. We've been using it for nearly a month and there have been no issues so far.

So, to clarify: Q-Code 8 does NOT necessarily mean that there is a CPU issue, as we swapped identical CPUs and the error still occurred. It also does not necessarily mean that it is a CPU cooler over-tightening issue, as we played around with it, and even just gently placed it on top of the CPU without screws. It CAN be a motherboard issue, as was the case with us.