cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam power issues?

Tr4nce
Level 7
Hey guys. I know this is a bit random, but it seems that I'm having issues with my webcam(s) staying on. It always randomly powers off. I'm starting to stream and would like to be able to use my camera. Forgot to add, I also tried with OBS/Xsplit and even just having the webcam up in the Logitech Software shows it disconnecting and reconnecting. The weird part is that it's only the camera. Every other USB device I have is fine. I had a logitech c920, but I also bought a c922 just to see (and if anything, i have 2 cameras) but both of them do the same thing. Most up to date BIOS and drivers. I've tried every other USB port on the board along with the ones at the front of my case. I'm just trying to see if anyone else is having issues with a webcam and use the same board, or if I should maybe go to Logitech and see what's up (though, my mouse/keyboard are logitech and they have no issues).

If you need more info, please feel free to let me know and I'll try to get it to you!
12 REPLIES 12

Tr4nce
Level 7
I actually had a thought (can't test until I get home from work), but the USB power settings in the BIOS does list all the ports and their power options are "Enabled", "Disabled", and "Auto". A couple of ports have it set to Enabled, only a few, and the rest are set to Auto. Maybe that could be the issue?

I thought i was having issues with USB because i was overclocked so i flashed 1002 and I'm not overclocking the cpu at all. Still, my Tobii eyetracker is losing USB connectivity at random times when in my previous amd machine (8350, asus sabertooth mobo) it did not.

So, i would say that you're not experiencing something isolated. There is something up here and I can't tell if it's potentially a bios thing, a USB driver thing or what. I went through the advanced power saving options for high performance (which i'm set for) and disabled any power saving involved with any of the sub options...still after reboot, my tobii eye tracker (which is a webcam too, just in ir) randomly disconnects.

I've tried various ports, and the same result.

So I tried to plug the webcam into one of the ports that wasn't having issues (the one that had my mic) and it seemed to fix it. I think it may be the BIOS power settings. Try that our, set it to enabled? It's weird

I can't get AMD's usb3 drivers to even attempt to install when installing through their all in one Crimson installer (only option available) (drivers which should be pkged along with chipset drivers etc according to their site). I still show Microsoft's drivers as being active for the AMD USB host, which were written almost a year ago. Even with 17.3.3. Asus only provides asmedia usb drivers, but not the native cpu usb drivers.

I am leaning towards a driver issue vs a bios issue. Give your webcam some time, i've had mine work for hours only to disconnect over night. Or like today, in the port it's currently in, i've had it disconnect and reconnect multiple times in minutes.

edit: So i manually installed the USB 3 and USB 3.1 drivers from crimson 17.3.1 (chipset driver pkg)... i have 17.3.3 display drivers. It appears the reason they weren't showing up during normal install was that the driver date is from February of 2016, where as the microsoft drivers were dated July of 2016. It's hard to tell if any of the dates can be trusted because it's not uncommon for manufacturers and microsoft to fudge the dates. I'll be keeping an eye out for abnormal USB behavior but for now i'll run with the direct AMD drivers and see.

I had the same issue yesterday while streaming to facebook using gefore experience. I have the logitech c920 and all the latest drivers and amd crimson software as well as all power saving options are disabled in the bios and control panel. what seem to work for me was switching my camera to one of the black usb 2.0 ports. Even if the cam was the only thing plugged into the blue ports it would randomly shut off.

AfterShock wrote:
I had the same issue yesterday while streaming to facebook using gefore experience. I have the logitech c920 and all the latest drivers and amd crimson software as well as all power saving options are disabled in the bios and control panel. what seem to work for me was switching my camera to one of the black usb 2.0 ports. Even if the cam was the only thing plugged into the blue ports it would randomly shut off.

Yeah, I pretty much had this same issue. Hope someone at ASUS can take a look see 🙂

I also have random issues with USB devices. Suddenly some devices don't get detected anymore. The other day when the system boots again this issue can be fixed by unknown reason.

All top USB3's seem to work fine on the back. So i have most connected here.

after force upgrading the USB drivers from the latest chipset crimson pkg, i have not had any issues with USB disconnects.

You have to force install because the dates on the amd drivers are older than the date in the microsoft supplied drivers.

So i think there is a little driver issue with microsoft's Win10 USB 3 and 3.1 AMD drivers vs the latest direct AMD versions. Seems like an easy fix.

Pro note: When you do this, you will lose USB support on all but maybe 1 or more ports controlled by the Asmedia drivers. You may have to swap keyboard and mouse a bit through the 1 port to finish your upgrade process (install the hub drivers). After installing the upgraded host drivers, you'll get two unknown devices showing up in device manager. These are the hubs, look at the device id description, one will be obviously a 3.0 hub and one a 3.1 hub. Upgrade the drivers appropriately from the crimson pkg and then reboot. All should be back to normal.

I have had series of USB issues too where devices would drop out entirely or still stay connected and detected but drop the functionality.

For example when copying files I would get MS-DOS operation not failed etc and keyboard would connect and disconnect all the time; mouse occasionally can lag too.