Hi ,
Doing a new build ,
the system will not POST.

CPU is i7-7700k
dram is 4 stick of 8gb GSKILL F4-4133C19D-16GTZC
Video MSI GTX1080 DUKE
SSD NVMe WD black
corsair H115i cooling

with only 1 dram in any slot , any one of the 4 rams , system stops with q-code 55 no LEDS
insert all 4 drams , stops with DRAM led ON q-code AC
NEVER get any video

I know , the memory is not on qvl , but it should still boot with SPD default 2133
I want confirmation before i rma the pcb

Any clues ??????
23 REPLIES 23

Nate152
Hi Gajets

That has to be G.Skill Trident z ram and should work no problem at default settings.

First two things to try is clearing the cmos then updating the bios with the bios flashback feature, cross your fingers and hope she boots.

I had similar issues. I pulled the Video card and booted up using the native video on the Motherboard and things came up. INstalled the OS and such, then upgraded the BIOS and installed the Video card.

Worked for me, perhaps the same approach will for you.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Gajets

That has to be G.Skill Trident z ram and should work no problem at default settings.

First two things to try is clearing the cmos then updating the bios with the bios flashback feature, cross your fingers and hope she boots.

Yes memory is gskill trident z , i tried taking video card out same results.....
Pulled cmos battery same result... never got to bios so screen, can't expect anything but default anyway..
Memory button goes through 3 cycles .... same result..
Ordered a single cheap asus QVL corsair 4 gig ram to try.. if that acts the same i guess it time to RMA the mobo.
I Hate DOA , it never booted to bios even once.... arrrgh

I have built many systems, over the years, never had one crap out like this...
My last setup is
asus p6x58d premium and it was rock solid, not like the gigabyte x38 and x48 i had before it.
My laptop is a rog g74sx , it's also a tank. so thought ROG for this monster build would be easy going.
Really sad this mobo is not so great so far....:mad:

Gajets wrote:

Ordered a single cheap asus QVL corsair 4 gig ram to try.. if that acts the same i guess it time to RMA the mobo.

Cool. Keep us updated.

If the problem persists, try loosening the screws for your heatsink a little. If it's still a no go, remove your CPU and inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

I've never understood anyone that post they have a DOA when board cannot leave w/o passing QC-of course speaking device is not damaged in transit to consumer.

Sorry your having this issue, mem should boot to 2133, I hate to ask but is 8pin eatx pin connected and is that memory on the QVL? Something isn't jiving.

CODE MAXIMUS wrote:
I've never understood anyone that post they have a DOA when board cannot leave w/o passing QC-of course speaking device is not damaged in transit to consumer.

Sorry your having this issue, mem should boot to 2133, I hate to ask but is 8pin eatx pin connected and is that memory on the QVL? Something isn't jiving.

I am not saying its DOA yet, But its still not working , still looking for reason.and possible fix.

My self being an engineer in the electronics bussiness for ever, i dont have as much faith in QC and factory testing as you, yes this does provide for a very very high quality and good product rate.

BUT never have i seen 100% no failures. The biggest culperate is this lead free solder, it is much more brittle than the older leaded solder. And that makes for intermittant behaviours.
Connection and cabling comes in second.
iC failures are the rarest failures these days, but still not unheard of.

In my current place,i have seen a fair amount of RMA reports of units that left working and arrived pristinee in packaging but returned as not working.

Nate152
Have you tried updating the bios with the flashback feature? You need preferably an empty usb flash drive formatted to .FAT32. After you extract it to the usb flash drive rename it to M9H.CAP

Then stick it in the ROG Connect port and hold the bios flashback button until it starts to blink, the blinking should slowly get faster and take about 90 seconds.

When it stops blinking start your pc.

Nate152 wrote:
Have you tried updating the bios with the flashback feature? You need preferably an empty usb flash drive formatted to .FAT32. After you extract it to the usb flash drive rename it to M9H.CAP

Then stick it in the ROG Connect port and hold the bios flashback button until it starts to blink, the blinking should slowly get faster and take about 90 seconds.

When it stops blinking start your pc.

Did bios update to latest still same