cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking and video stability question.

mr__anderson
Level 7
newb here, my system is in my signature.

okay , I've read up on the basics on the sticky threads for overclocking. I have started out small and shut of all the energy savings/cool and quiet settings. At first I just changed the multiplier and no other settings, I have the RAM set to 1600(the preset in the bios for the vengence). After that I changed the multiplier to equal a 3.8 GHz, I checked with prime 95 x64, I ran all 8 cores for 30 minutes, no issues and the cpu temp was stable at 40 C.

The issue I have is playing any video. On playback of .mkv files the video and audio studders.
I also get audio studders on the cut scenes of video games, is this normal? I didn't think that was that high of an overclock for this system.
AMD Crosshair V Formula (bios 1003), AMD FX 8120 @3.1GHz, H100 cooler, (2) ASUS GTX 560 DCU II OC(SLI) (driver vers. 285.62), 16 GB corsair vengeance (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3, Corsair TX850W P/S, 942 HAF-X case, windows 7 x64 home.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is a codec thing - which media player are you using?

A handy media player that will download the correct codec as and when needed, so no codec pack nightmare is Gom Player.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
That is a codec thing - which media player are you using?

A handy media player that will download the correct codec as and when needed, so no codec pack nightmare is Gom Player.

I'll check that out and give it a run when I get home, I have powerdvd 10 ultra that I play my mkv files on.

I was thinking it was the video player at first, but the fact that it has the audio studder on the game cut scenes makes me wonder.
AMD Crosshair V Formula (bios 1003), AMD FX 8120 @3.1GHz, H100 cooler, (2) ASUS GTX 560 DCU II OC(SLI) (driver vers. 285.62), 16 GB corsair vengeance (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3, Corsair TX850W P/S, 942 HAF-X case, windows 7 x64 home.

HiVizMan
Level 40
VLC is a very good freeware (as is Gom Player) application and does play MKV really well. I just suggested GOM Player because of the built in codec download function.

Do you have a whole heap of MKV files like I do?

If yes and you want the best media experience for movies that you can possibly get then XBMC is the solution. Man alive I love that application. Have a app that I use on my iPad that lets me sit on the couch and browse my movie collection and control everything from there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

downloaded the XMBC software. vers 10.0 played around with it, I like it! I think I use that over the powerDVD 10. it's nicely set up to grab your stuff and have the computer act more like a HTPC which is cool.

I think I have a decent amount of stuff on MKV files. I have a little over 1 TB of movies and about 500 GB of TV shows that are MKV's also.

after I installed the software I overclocked it to 3.6 and tried it again with the XMBC software. the video and sound acted as if the the video was in 1.5 times fast forward. with the jitter on the audio. very odd. put it back to stock speeds,worked just fine. weird.

HiVizMan wrote:
VLC is a very good freeware (as is Gom Player) application and does play MKV really well. I just suggested GOM Player because of the built in codec download function.

Do you have a whole heap of MKV files like I do?

If yes and you want the best media experience for movies that you can possibly get then XBMC is the solution. Man alive I love that application. Have a app that I use on my iPad that lets me sit on the couch and browse my movie collection and control everything from there.

skubany
Level 7
Do you have Asus AI Suit running?
Try closing it - choose close on the taskbar icon.

Sometimes when playing movies I get audio problems (audio drops out for a short while (say 1 sec)). Don't think I have video problems. Closing Asus AI Suit fixes the problems. I too have my CPU overclocked. Not sure if you're experiencing the same thing. Using VLC here.