cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical feedback on various non OC/RAM related issues

Timur_Born
Level 7
It's time for a little rant! Somewhat good willed, so don't see me shouting this with a red face, but rather musing over it with a glass of wine (which I don't drink, but you get the picture). :cool: Raja or Elmor, feel free to forward that "feedback" to Asus designers/management.

1. Whoever designed the physical layout of the board seemingly never intended ProbeIt and the post code display to be used by normal people.

- When the CH6 is built into a PC chassis and placed under the table I literally have to lie down on the floor to read post codes. There is no other way for me to get a proper viewing angle to that uppermost rightmost corner. Even when I place the chassis on a table I have to bend forwards to get a look at the post codes.

- Looking at the post code display is made rather unpleasant when you are dazzled with those extra bright status LEDs right underneath it. Having both in close proximity to each other surely is useful, but those LEDs really burn bright.

- ProbeIt can hardly be reached at all. Even outside a chassis the power connector + cable gets in your way. Inside a chassis it a small nightmare to reach it with two DMM probes.

- It took me over a dozen tries to get any readings from ProbeIt, because I first had to scratch into the probing points with the probe tips to get electrical contact. Maybe there is some kind of coating on top of them that needs to be poked through, maybe it's the solder itself.

- Now that I can get readings I always have to use both my hands to push the probes on the measuring points. Why can Asus not invest 5-10 cents into a proper header where we can stick the probes in and leave them there hands-free?!

2. VRM noise is very audible when Vcore lowers toward 0.4 V for power-saving, which by itself is a nuisance in an otherwise (ultra) quite system. I only heard this kind of noise level from higher performance graphic-cards' VRM section yet. This is rather unacceptable, because other motherboards can do without such a considerable level of audible noise.

Coming with the audible noise is electrical noise on the motherboard's ground lines, which unfortunately seems to happen with every motherboard out there. This is the bane of every media content creation PC and a long standing problem, especially when audio is coupled with a strong graphic-card. I really wish you guys would filter this out somehow, especially for outgoing ground-lines like USB ground/shield, audio and video (PC + display looped over a common Earth can give some interesting combing/cancellation effects).

To give an example: The ProbeIt ground measuring point varies in voltage somewhere between 0.0035 V and 0.0150 V versus wall socket Earth depending on CPU/system load. And that is without C&Q kicking in lower voltages (aka Vcore is fixed). Fortunately the ProbeIt Vcore measuring point seems to vary by the same amount, so we can still measure between Vcore and Ground without getting skewed results. I wasn't so sure about that before I measured and calculated both, though (again, at fixed Vcore).

3. Fan calibration does not work properly. Even worse, minimum fan speed values are enforced on basis of that faulty calibration process. My AIO pump is regularly detected with a mimum of 60% instead of 39%, my AIO's heatspreader fans are sometimes detected as 20% instead of 10% and AI/FC detects it as full RPM at 0% and refuses to allow any control over said fans. My chassis fan sometimes is detected as 39%, sometimes as 34% and sometimes as 60%.

This all would be less of an issue if I could just enter a minimum fan speed manually, but I cannot. Instead I hear my AIO pump whining/vibrating unnervingly in between 60-70% where it seems to resonate worst. Then I have to Clear CMOS again because of some RAM issues and start that whole unreliable calibration procedure again.

Also please fix the calibration procedure to include the AIO pump header. Either it currently isn't calibrating that header or it always measures 60% minimum whereas the same pump on a chassis header at least sometimes results in proper 39%. And why is there no control over the AIO pump header in AI/FC anyway?

AI/FC also has some real problems running my AIO pump at fixed rpm, many steps lead to the pump spinning up and down all the time. And for some reason the pump's rpm are reported as double as high than their real numbers, still better than no rpm display that some other users are reporting, though.

4. A "Safe Boot" button should do just that: Safe Boot. More often than not it just results in another failed reset attempt. If it doesn't work properly then it's space wasted that would have better been used to for the post code display.

5. If you place a new internal USB 3.1 header on your boards then provide a corresponding cable/front-bay connector.

6. This goes out to all motherboard manufacturers, or BIOS/UEFI programmers: Include a bl**dy Bluetooth stack into UEFI, especially when you sell boards with onboard Bluetooth! Having an extra USB keyboard ready just for being able to enter BIOS setup and change settings is ridiculous after so many years of Bluetooth keyboards being around.

7. Why the h*ck did you protect your PDF manual to not even allow copying text out of it? I have licensed (as in copyright protected and paid for) PDF files here that allow me to copy text and images. What's special about a motherboard manual that forces me to manually type its text content to a forum if I want to discuss a section or help another user? (Yes, I know how to circumvent that protection, others do not.)

That's it for the time being... 😉
3 REPLIES 3

AfterShock
Level 9
I agree with almost all of that + I would have liked to have more usb headers on the mobo. I have the corsair h100i v2 which uses a usb header for corsiar link so that leaves me with 1 header for my cases front ports. out of the 2 usb 3 ports and 1 usb 2 port I can only use 1.

All my grumbles nailed in a very good post... my 1800x and MB are now sitting in the cupboard till the new AGESA updates hit.

Unfortunately it seems that the ProbeIt points are rather useless anyway. Not only do I measure the same values for LLC0 (Auto) and LLC1, but I measure Vcore being higher at load than idle.