cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Seeking input] Alternatives to the PG27UQ

MScifiWriter
Level 7
Hey guys,

I learned about the ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ about two months ago and was eager to buy it for the 4K resolution, IPS Panel, G-Sync, and 144hz. Though I heard it might not be out until the later half of the year and that it will likely cost $2,000. So wanted to get advice on what other monitors would be a good alternative to the PG27UQ?

4K resolution and the IPS panel are top priorities, as I'll be working in Adobe Creative programs to edit 4K video and imagesy. Also the G-Sync would be nice, as I'm a gamer. I'm considering the PG27AQ for $880 as its stats look comparable, but again I'd like your input.

Almost forgot to mention that I'll be using this with the EVGA nVidia Geforce 1080 Ti FTW3 graphics card, as soon as that is released.

Thanks in advance for the input, everyone!!

Mike
5 REPLIES 5

MScifiWriter
Level 7
Interesting, 71 views and no input.

Anyone?

Crashcourse316
Level 9
I don't think there is an alternative to speak of. 4k IPS panel at 144hz is kind of hard to beat. But if your job is to edit video and photo. you may want to look into a 4k photo editing monitor. If you don't make money doing photo and video editing then you can get whatever monitor thats 4k IPS. I don't think there are any out there that are over 100hz at 4k with the IPS panel which is where the benefits of high frame rate come in with gaming. If you don't care about the frame rate being the standard 60 FPS which is what most 4k games are trying to hit at high settings, then you can save some money and get one that only runs at 60hz. You wont be running any AAA games at max settings and get 144fps at 4k. Just look at benchmarks of the games you will be playing and see what frame rates are going at 4k.

https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitor-for-you-144hz-1440p-gsync-freesync-4k/
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

When I said alternatives, I suppose I should have added, recommendations. Since the PG27UQ isn't available for sometime, I wanted to know what others thought a good runner up to that monitor would be. As I stated 4K and IPS panel were the priorities, with G-Sync being nice but not as important.

Again, I was just asking for recommendations of what others think are quality monitors, until the PG27UQ is available.

On that note, I appreciate the list you included. Though again, I reached the point I'm at by researching similar types of lists.

Thank you though, Crashcourse316

TheOnlyDoor
Level 7
As of right now there are no 4k monitors with refresh rates above 60hz. If you have to have an alternative now, 60hz, ips or VA panels and response time under 5ms in the 24-32 inch range are the best 4k monitors for sale today.

Profundido
Level 7
MScifiWriter wrote:
Hey guys,

I learned about the ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ about two months ago and was eager to buy it for the 4K resolution, IPS Panel, G-Sync, and 144hz. Though I heard it might not be out until the later half of the year and that it will likely cost $2,000. So wanted to get advice on what other monitors would be a good alternative to the PG27UQ?

4K resolution and the IPS panel are top priorities, as I'll be working in Adobe Creative programs to edit 4K video and imagesy. Also the G-Sync would be nice, as I'm a gamer. I'm considering the PG27AQ for $880 as its stats look comparable, but again I'd like your input.

Almost forgot to mention that I'll be using this with the EVGA nVidia Geforce 1080 Ti FTW3 graphics card, as soon as that is released.

Thanks in advance for the input, everyone!!

Mike

I own the PG27AQ since release and I can recommend it to you bigtime. Colors are really good, suited for your graphical work, games play very nice at solid 60fps if you have the horsepower. That being said your mentioned graphics card will be pushing a steady 50-60fps max in modern games and solid 60fps in older, so going higher is pointless. To drive the pg27uq you'll need at least 2 of those cards if you wanna reach 100+ fps so don't bother going there unless you can spend 3k on an extra video card + the pg27uq

for reference: When I play rise of the tomb raider in 4K "very high settings" both my watercooled titan XP's in SLI run 60-70% usage continously. On "High" they run 50-60% both. That is in order to maintain a 100% steady 60fps on PG27AQ !!

That means on the PG27UQ I can expect a steady 90-110fps on "very high" with both cards 100% used or a steady 100-120 on "High"

Idem for the Witcher 3 and other modern titles