cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-code error 0d - Crosshair VI

Teramungus
Level 7
Hello all,
I received my back-ordered MOBO and put my new computer together but can not get it to POST. I assembled and tried to boot but get Q-code:0d and can not get to BIOS. The MOBO light up RGB and appears to be on; the amber light indicating a problem with DRAM is lit. CPU light is green (ready).

BUILD:
ASUS Crosshair VI
Ryzen 1800X
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16 (2x8GB)
Samsung 960 Pro.
Asus Strix GTX960 OC 2GB
Corsair CX750M (24-pin and 8-pin; no 4-pin)
Fractal Define R5
Dark Rock Pro 3

I tried the shipped BIOS first: Q-Code: 0d.
I updated to latest BIOS via USB and back button: Q-Code: 0d.
Loosened the back plate to the CPU cooler (removed and re-seated all components): Q-code Od.
Tried to clear the CMOS with button on back: Q-code: Od.
Unplugged the USB 3.0: Q-code: 0d.
Tried all RAM slots and each separately (both RAM bad?): Q-code: 0d (on all combinations).

UPDATE: I went to Best Buy and bought PNY Anarchy 2x8GB 2133 CL15 and tried each of the RAM stick and got the same result as above: Q-code: 0d.
UPDATE 2: Tried both BIOS 0902 and 1002.
Update 3: Purchased PNY Anarchy (2x8) 2133MHz (not QVL) and the result did not change: Q-code: 0d.
UPDATE 4: I removed the original backplate for the new cooler and reused the thermal pad so I disassembled and tried again without the pad and no change: Q-code: 0d.
UPDATE 5: I called ASUS and went through the basic steps above but this time without the video card.... same result: Q-code 0d. They recommended RMA. Returning to Amazon (quicker).

*****EDIT 4/7/17- I received a second Crosshair VI and assembled the computer. I updated BIOS to 1002 before all else and can access BIOS. I then attempt to install WIN10 but as soon as the splash screen comes up the install freezes. I cannot populate DIMM_A2 slot with any memory and get Windows to boot. (The RAM is detected in BIOS but I am getting Q-code 54 & 55 and can not install Win10 and once installed will not boot as long as DIMM_A2 is populated; either stick of G.SKill works in DIMM_B1 & B2 or I can run two sticks in single-channel mode as long as DIMM_A2 is not populated. DIMM_A2 would not accept the PNY Anarchy 2133 (non-QVL). I tried to set the RAM speed in BIOS (not AUTO) and no change.

BOTTOM LINE: All the RAM I began with works. I get the same Q-code: 0d when 2nd MOBO DIMM_A2 is installed. WIN10 would not load OS and once installed will not boot as long as DIMM_2 is populated (BIOS sees it with 54 and 55 code and wont boot).*****

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
30 REPLIES 30

Demoniacstar
Level 9
Teramungus wrote:
Hello all,
I received my back-ordered MOBO and put my new computer together but can not get it to POST. I assembled and tried to boot but get Q-code:0d and can not get to BIOS. The MOBO light up RGB and appears to be on; the amber light indicating a problem with DRAM is lit. CPU light is green (ready).

BUILD:
ASUS Crosshair VI
Ryzen 1800X
Samsung 960 Pro.
Asus Strix GTX960 OC 2GB
Fractal Define R5
Dark Rock Pro 3

Loosened the back plate to the CPU cooler (removed and re-seated all components): Q-code Od.
Tried all RAM slots and each separately (both RAM bad?): Q-code: 0d (on all combinations).

UPDATE: I went to Best Buy and bought PNY Anarchy 2x8GB 2133 CL15 and tried each of the RAM stick and got the same result as above: Q-code: 0d.
Update 3: Purchased PNY Anarchy (2x8) 2133MHz (not QVL) and the result did not change: Q-code: 0d.
UPDATE 4: I removed the original backplate for the new cooler and reused the thermal pad so I disassembled and tried again without the pad and no change: Q-code: 0d.
UPDATE 5: I called ASUS and went through the basic steps above but this time without the video card.... same result: Q-code 0d. They recommended RMA. Returning to Amazon (quicker).

I wont be sending this back until tomorrow or the next (new ones are back-ordered 4 days). So, Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

as i have said in another post.....

maybe i should rename it ?...lol

any way ....boot up ..let it do what it do ......when you get the 0d code ...hit the reset to bios button and immediately press and hold the red start button on motherboard when Qcodes light up release the red start button it will boot to bios

get ready to do alot of reading if you're new to tuning your pc...of course stock settings are decent but strangely overvolted and you get better performance by locking the cpu clock speed and tuning ram as high as you can
some ram is still finky in these boards..these boards and cpu's are to ....but that's going to improve tremendously from what we got now as far as stability goes ...some say the performance won't change... i say put on your seatbelt and hold on this trains not up to speed yet....lol...

Demoniacstar wrote:
as i have said in another post.....

maybe i should rename it ?...lol

any way ....boot up ..let it do what it do ......when you get the 0d code ...hit the reset to bios button and immediately press and hold the red start button on motherboard when Qcodes light up release the red start button it will boot to bios

Thanks man. It worked for me. I pressed reset and start together and then it booted up. I had same 0d error and was not booting. **

Saikamaldoss wrote:
Thanks man. It worked for me. I pressed reset and start together and then it booted up. I had same 0d error and was not booting. **

This also worked for me, to at least let me boot the computer, but only with my monitor attached via HDMI. There is literally nothing I can do to get it to boot consistently without error with the monitor attached via DisplayPort. My monitor is set to DisplayPort 1.1 and is attached via a brand new cable. My Nvidia 980 Ti has been updated to the latest firmware (and I have the latest drivers installed in Windows, but that is not the issue here).*
ASUS, please fix this issue in a Bios update. It’s honestly ridiculous that I cannot use DisplayPort at all on a brand new motherboard (ROG Crosshair VIII Hero) running a modern GPU that has been on the market long enough that issues like this should not arise.*

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread Teramungus but it seemed appropriate. 🙂

Your not the only one with Qcode 0d 😞 Iv'e tried everything like you and hope one of the techo's can explain just what Qcode od stands for. It's not listed in my manual.

I have the same MB and CPU and have tried what Demoniacstar said to do Quote: .boot up ..let it do what it do ......when you get the 0d code ...hit the reset to bios button and immediately press and hold the red start button on motherboard when Qcodes light up release the red start button it will boot to bios. Still no go.
Will try again tomorrow with a Bios change. I'm on Bios 1002 so will try 0902 and keep fingers crossed.

Anyhow the MB lights up, CPU and radiator fans seem OK, graphic card working, have a good working PSU.
I'm trying Corsair Dominators CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 and I hope that's not the issue. Tried switching modules in different slots too.
I don't think this is RMA time just yet even if ASUS support says so. Still a few things to try in bench mode.

Hang in there and see if anything comes up in the next few days.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Tom71
Level 7
Teramungus wrote:
Hello all,

BUILD:
ASUS Crosshair VI
Ryzen 1800X
Samsung 960 Pro.
Asus Strix GTX960 OC 2GB
Fractal Define R5
Dark Rock Pro 3

I wont be sending this back until tomorrow or the next (new ones are back-ordered 4 days). So, Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I get this code everytime I either unplug the computer or add/subtract a gpu, hdd etc. All I do is use the start button on the motherboard or hit the reset button several times and it will eventually boot into windows.

CCarpenter
Level 7
Teramungus wrote:
Hello all,

BUILD:
ASUS Crosshair VI
Ryzen 1800X
Samsung 960 Pro.
Asus Strix GTX960 OC 2GB
Fractal Define R5
Dark Rock Pro 3

Thanks in advance.

Are you using the Display Port on the Graphics Card?

Try it again on a HDMI - Port.
This is what my Error was. It should work on a DVI too.

Have a lot of grey hairs more now - because this Error confuses me. My Computer still wont work on DisplayPort with BIOS1002. But HDMI is doin it for me in the meantime. Im writing on that Machine,..

CCarpenter wrote:
Are you using the Display Port on the Graphics Card?

Try it again on a HDMI - Port.
This is what my Error was. It should work on a DVI too.

Have a lot of grey hairs more now - because this Error confuses me. My Computer still wont work on DisplayPort with BIOS1002. But HDMI is doin it for me in the meantime. Im writing on that Machine,..

to get a displayport working on your graphics card at boot all you have to do is disable csm completely in bios
and you don't have to disconnect anything when you can't boot ....try what i said ....it works...and works every time for me ....
hit reset to bios and immediately!! press and hold the start button in until you see the q codes light up then let go ...it will always no matter what go to bios on my board when i do this, it even gets passed the dreaded 8 code

Demoniacstar wrote:
to get a displayport working on your graphics card at boot all you have to do is disable csm completely in bios
and you don't have to disconnect anything when you can't boot ....try what i said ....it works...and works every time for me ....
hit reset to bios and immediately!! press and hold the start button in until you see the q codes light up then let go ...it will always no matter what go to bios on my board when i do this, it even gets passed the dreaded 8 code

Tried this, but disabling CSM completly does not help on my machine!