Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

TO update BIOS or not to update the BIOS. That is the question!

Hopefully I'm on the wrong part of the forum for this profound question. Will updating the BIOS in the G750JW do anything to the SSD I recently installed? In other words, having recently installed the SSD, will that have any impact on updating the BIOS.
    Last edited by Amenophis; 04-04-2017 at 04:26 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Have you ever heard of an instance where it did? For example, someone has installed a new SSD then updated the BIOS and updating it caused the laptop to explode?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

No but while we're on the topic of BIOS updates. Any particular reason you want to update the BIOS for your laptop?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the fans revving up every couple minutes but nothing real serious. I've checked Task Manager & once in a bit Norton will show an increase of 16-18%. I find Chrome sometimes takes off up to 18-20% especially with Foxnews. A couple years ago, it was doing the same thing and eventually for whatever reason, it healed itself. Then a little over a week ago, it began doing the same thing. I've used compressed air to blow out what little dust there was and it wasn't even enough to mention.
    I read somewhere about updating the chipset drivers but I've got the latest aboard. The last was this BIOS thing. I've got # 208 and the latest is 210 but from what I can find, there's nothing in that latest update that mentions anything about cpu or fans.
    If you've got advice for me, please fire it over this way. If you suggest not to do the update, I'm at that point where I'm half scared to do it although I've updated several times before. I also read somewhere if one updates the BIOS after installing an SSD drive, the new BIOS wouldn't read it. Another reason for me to enter into the chambers of fear. Anyway, let me know what your take on this would be. Thanks!

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Use a laptop cooling pad?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I suppose but the fans are not revving high enough to warrant that. If those things plugged into an outlet instead of the laptop itself, it might be ok but would that not put somewhat of a stress on the computer itself? And if not, do these cooling pads really make any difference?
    What is this I read about Fan Xpert 2? Can that actually be used on a G750JW to slow the fans?

ROG Member Array Dean72 PC Specs
    Dean72 PC Specs
    MotherboardSTRIX Z270G
    ProcessorIntel Core i 7700K
    Memory (part number)HYPERX PREDATOR DDR4 3333 MHz 2x 8GB
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA 1080Ti
    MonitorAcer PREDATOR 27"
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 500GB EVO
    Storage #2WD Black Caviar 1TB
    CPU CoolerHYPER 212 EVO
    CaseZalman Z1
    Power SupplyFORTRON 700W
    Mouse RAZER DEATH ADDER 2013
    Headset ZALMAN
    Mouse Pad RAZER
    Headset/Speakers ZALMAN
    OS WINDOWS 10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Amenophis View Post
    Hopefully I'm on the wrong part of the forum for this profound question. Will updating the BIOS in the G750JW do anything to the SSD I recently installed? In other words, having recently installed the SSD, will that have any impact on updating the BIOS.
    I don't see a reason why people are so frightened with BIOS update.. In most cases you can get better stability and better compability with another hardware components.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Oh yeah! Cooling pads for laptops are almost mandatory... well, if you enjoy the sound of cooling fans, then not...

People are so frightened with BIOS updates because an incorrectly done one can render your system useless... you have to be aware of what you are doing and do everything as you should do it - that's why I'm saying to read the guides before you do it!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Another has said the cooling fans on these cooling pads is so fierce, they blow the vertical blinds back and forth. I cannot believe the fans on these are that strong. I have never used one before so I of course wouldn't know for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast