cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triple Monitor Setup - Cannot achieve 144Hz on third monitor

mherrera
Level 7
Hey everyone,

So I'm going for an all-out triple monitor setup. I have (3) Asus ROG Swift PG279q monitors, and (2) Asus ROG Strix 1080's (running SLI). These monitors are capable of a 165hz refresh rate and I would like to achieve that for all 3 screens.

Here's my predicament. The card has the following ports: (1) DVI (2) DisplayPort (2) HDMI
I am currently running two monitors with the (2) DisplayPorts, and one monitor with (1) HDMI port. None of these monitors have a DVI port, which leaves me stuck.

I've been doing a lot of research and seem to not be finding any solutions. I've read multiple forums saying I need an "Active Adapter" to run what I need. However, when reading the specs to those adapters, it mentions a limit of only 60hz to 1440p monitors.

My questions are, is there any adapter out there that can help me achieve 1440p 144hz? Is it even possible to get the third monitor to 144hz? Is there a way around this?

I appreciate the help in advance.

The Cards: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX108...

The Monitors: https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/
5 REPLIES 5

Crashcourse316
Level 9
I believe this is what you are looking for. heres the link for reference. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

I think you will want option 1. Monitor 1 in DP #1 on card 1, Monitor 2 in DP #1 on card 2, Monitor 3 in DP #2 on card 1.

I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
I believe this is what you are looking for. heres the link for reference. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

I think you will want option 1. Monitor 1 in DP #1 on card 1, Monitor 2 in DP #1 on card 2, Monitor 3 in DP #2 on card 1.

Hmm, not sure this is exactly it. I tried connecting a DisplayPort to Card #2 and it will not output a signal. I believe I must connect all 3 monitors to Card #1.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
This is what is given directly from Nvidia for the 1080 GTX in sli for running 2d surround mode. to run surround the green ports on the picture need to be plugged in and the third monitor can go in any of the orange ports.

The only option to run 165hz on all three monitors is to have all three plugged into display ports. Which before setting up surround mode you should see all the monitors available in the Change resolution area of Nvidia control. You should then be able to set the resolution/hz for all three monitors seperately to 165hz 1440p. After that you should be able to go into the set up Nvidia surround section and click configure. Follow instructions from there. I'm currently only running one 1080 right now but I ran a 4 monitor config off of 780Ti's previously and used the above link for that configuration. worked fine.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
This is what is given directly from Nvidia for the 1080 GTX in sli for running 2d surround mode. to run surround the green ports on the picture need to be plugged in and the third monitor can go in any of the orange ports.

The only option to run 165hz on all three monitors is to have all three plugged into display ports. Which before setting up surround mode you should see all the monitors available in the Change resolution area of Nvidia control. You should then be able to set the resolution/hz for all three monitors seperately to 165hz 1440p. After that you should be able to go into the set up Nvidia surround section and click configure. Follow instructions from there. I'm currently only running one 1080 right now but I ran a 4 monitor config off of 780Ti's previously and used the above link for that configuration. worked fine.

So there's no possible way I can get all 3 of my monitors to 165Hz unless all 3 monitors are plugged in via DisplayPort? There's no adapter or cable that can do HDMI to DisplayPort or DVI to DisplayPort? I mean all of this without Surround enabled.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
you should be able to plug in a monitor to any port on either cards and get it to display. The issue is that at 2k resolution the data rates are to high for HDMI/DVI, and that limits it down to 60fps.

If you plug in all three monitors to display port locations they can all display at 165hz. the card location shouldn't matter. Only in surround mode does placement matter for the ports. Try plugging in a single monitor to your second graphics card (any port) and getting that to work.

heres is youtube of someone running 278q's in surround at 144hz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTZCBi0h7M8

and full story
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-G-Sync-Surround-Impressions-Using-3-ASUS-ROG-Swi...

If you read through this story you will see they used three-way sli and plugged one monitor into each card because each card only had 1 Display port plug.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v