cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS WONT BOOT with XMP active (HYPERX PREDATOR 2x 8GB 3333MHz)

Dean72
Level 7
Hello guys,

thank you all in advance.

Recently I bought new PC, everything works correctly except my DDR4 memory module (HYPERX PREDATOR 2x 8GB 3333MHz).

Problem is, when I swith to XMP profile in BIOS, system wont boot, or my CPU stays at its default 800Mhz speed and wont moove any higher even when it is under heavy load. I have mother board ROG STRIX Z270G, CPU: Core i7 7700k.

I've already tried to switch jumpers on my MB to get extra voltage for my CPU but it didn't solved my problem. This memory is on the supported vendor list so I don't understand why it causing troubles to run it whit XMP.

I would like to ask you kindly for you advice. Should I wait for new BIOS upgrade (mine is already upgraded to the newest) or switch to another memory module? Or perhaps some manual settings instead of XMP? Thank you for your time.
20 REPLIES 20

Chino
Level 15
DDR4 3333 might not be plug-n-play for all CPUs. Try tweaking your VCCIO and System Agent voltages. Use small increments/decrements.

Here are some guidelines taken from Raja's guide.

Chino wrote:
DDR4 3333 might not be plug-n-play for all CPUs. Try tweaking your VCCIO and System Agent voltages. Use small increments/decrements.

Here are some guidelines taken from Raja's guide.

Thank you Chino, I will try it.

chevell65
Level 12
What's funny is that people still think that XMP will work consistently on every board but the reality is that it's just not true. You should look at the memory specs on the sticker on the memory, set the voltage and latency per the memory specs using the Manual memory settings in bios. The actual rated overclock may require some voltage adjustments or even require you to relax the timings in order to get there. The CPU overclock, amount of memory etc. all play into this so you may or may not achieve the overclock rating of a particular memory.

chevell65 wrote:
What's funny is that people still think that XMP will work consistently on every board but the reality is that it's just not true. You should look at the memory specs on the sticker on the memory, set the voltage and latency per the memory specs using the Manual memory settings in bios. The actual rated overclock may require some voltage adjustments or even require you to relax the timings in order to get there. The CPU overclock, amount of memory etc. all play into this so you may or may not achieve the overclock rating of a particular memory.

Hello, thank you for your reply and advice.

Not everyone is experienced overclocker and when vendors says that memory is Intel XMP certified and sells it for the full prize with sticker on it I don't see a reason why it should not run as advertised.

I found out from the list of supported memory for MB that there are modules with XMP in brackets... Does that mean that they already tested it with this settings?

Dean72 wrote:
Hello, thank you for your reply and advice.

Not everyone is experienced overclocker and when vendors says that memory is Intel XMP certified and sells it for the full prize with sticker on it I don't see a reason why it should not run as advertised.

I found out from the list of supported memory for MB that there are modules with XMP in brackets... Does that mean that they already tested it with this settings?

Yeah. That's a common misconception regarding the QVL. A kit that's on the QVL means that it was tested and works fine on the motherboard. It doesn't mean that it will be plug-n-play (at least not for all CPUs).

Zka17
Level 16
From the Asus website of your board:

At the end of the QVL:

I also would do what chevell65 suggested: enter the voltage and timings from the sticker on your RAM manually...

Zka17 wrote:
From the Asus website of your board:

At the end of the QVL:

I also would do what chevell65 suggested: enter the voltage and timings from the sticker on your RAM manually...

Thanks, I did not notice it when I looked for QVL.

Four-Eyes
Level 7
Dean72 wrote:
Hello guys,

thank you all in advance.

Recently I bought new PC, everything works correctly except my DDR4 memory module (HYPERX PREDATOR 2x 8GB 3333MHz).

Problem is, when I swith to XMP profile in BIOS, system wont boot, or my CPU stays at its default 800Mhz speed and wont moove any higher even when it is under heavy load. I have mother board ROG STRIX Z270G, CPU: Core i7 7700k.

I've already tried to switch jumpers on my MB to get extra voltage for my CPU but it didn't solved my problem. This memory is on the supported vendor list so I don't understand why it causing troubles to run it whit XMP.

I would like to ask you kindly for you advice. Should I wait for new BIOS upgrade (mine is already upgraded to the newest) or switch to another memory module? Or perhaps some manual settings instead of XMP? Thank you for your time.

I had the same problem when I went from BIOS 0801 to 0906. EZ flashed back to 0801 with BIOS tools and all OK. Could that be it?

Four-Eyes wrote:
I had the same problem when I went from BIOS 0801 to 0906. EZ flashed back to 0801 with BIOS tools and all OK. Could that be it?

Man I love you! It worked 🙂 *I was trying to overclock my CPU without any success I was getting sick of it... And it was all because this new BIOS.. Thanks a lot 🙂