cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG OC Showdown Team Edition runs from April 14th to June 5th

AkaNe0
Level 10
ROG is launching a new online overclocking competition named ROG OC Showdown Team Edition.

VISIT THE COMPETITION PAGE

The competition is open to all overclockers, including air / water / extreme cooling. To make it fair, each of the 5 stages, will have it's own limitation. See the table below for more details:

A total prize pool of USD 5,000 is up to grab in partnership with EKWB, G.skill, Seasonic, Open Benchtable and Thermal Grizzly. Both teams and individual overclockers will be awarded. Check the prizes tab for more info.

The scoring will be made automatically by the HWBOT engine, but teams need to be strategic on members that will submit for each of the stage to be among the Top 2 teams winning the big jackpot!

For example, let's take Stage 3 - GPUPI for CPU 1B.
-> Overclockers from Rookies, Novices, Enthusiasts and Apprentice leagues can submit a score (no limitation in number of participants)
-> No cooling limitation
-> The top 2 best scores of the team will create an average and points for the overall ranking
-> The top 2 scores need to use a different CPU's model (i7 6700K and i7 7700K for example)
And don't forget, Keep pushing it !
103 REPLIES 103

Menthol
Level 14
Akane,
So using the same stage as an example, meankeys, jab383 and myself each enter scores using a 6700k and 7700k, the best score entered by each would be considered for individual ranking (top scores), and the best score of each CPU would be used to calculate for the team score regardless of who entered the score? or can we each only submit scores from a single CPU requiring us to determine who enters a score using what CPU beforehand?

Do we have any active LN2 users on team ROG?

meankeys
Level 13
Les if you put a team together I am in.

Menthol
Level 14
Aren't we already on the same team, or do we need to create a 2/3 man team, that's what I was trying to ask above.
I don't want to be responsible for dragging you down but yes of course I would team up with you
What's the deal with no Titan X's, 1080ti's, that may have made since last comp with the other restrictions but this comp doesn't have cooling restrictions, etc.

From OC eSports

Submission

The best score of each overclocker will contribute to one stage at a time
Per stage, the team average scoring is based on the top scores with unique hardware
All submissions must have the official competition wallpaper (Download), except Stage 1
Submissions must include a picture of the rig (MB, VGA, memory, CPU cooler) during use, except Stage 1

*For each stage, overclockers from a same team will have to use either different CPUs, chipsets or GPUs to count in the Average scoring / Team. I.e. For Stage 1, the average top 3 scores for Team A is calculated as:

Team A: Overclocker 1 uses i7 6700K
Team A: Overclocker 2 uses i5 6600K
Team A: Overclocker 3 uses i7 7700K

meankeys
Level 13
Drag me down funny... I cant find the link from OC e-sports?

The way I read it is we build a team from each class - Overclockers from Rookies, Novices, Enthusiasts you are in the Apprentice league I have extreme covered. As AKaNe mentioned

eams need to be strategic on members that will submit for each of the stage to be among the Top 2 teams winning the big jackpot!

For example, let's take Stage 3 - GPUPI for CPU 1B.
-> Overclockers from Rookies, Novices, Enthusiasts and Apprentice leagues can submit a score (no limitation in number of participants)
-> No cooling limitation
-> The top 2 best scores of the team will create an average and points for the overall ranking
-> The top 2 scores need to use a different CPU's model (i7 6700K and i7 7700K for example)

Menthol
Level 14
I think I'm catching on, since we don't use LN2 we're at a big disadvantage, who on our team to represent the first 2 stages

meankeys
Level 13
Lets look thru our team rooster and ask?

If you dont mind Ill leave the recruiting up to you 🙂

AkaNe0
Level 10
We are already part of the ASUS Republic of Gamers Team.

So far here is the team breakdown
Members: 232
Extreme: 5 (1 active)
Apprentice: 12 (2 active)
Enthusiast: 105 (13 active)
Novice: 64 (10 active)
Rookie: 46 (35 active)

So we might need an additional extreme for the Stage 5 to be able to gather two scores.

@Menthol, it's no dragging down - everyone is welcome to join. First we need to make sure to get all the submissions required. Then we can work on improving the score.

Below is the stage breakdown and what we need. Make sure to read each of stage rules before submitting.

STAGE 1 - XTU
-> Rookies and Novices Leagues only
-> 4 cores limitation (HT allowed)
-> Air and water cooling only

Average Top 3 scores with Unique CPU's
1. Nate152 - 1595 with i7 6700K
2. Mystic6 - 1715 with i7 7700K
3. Kuno7 - 1145 with i5 7600K

Stage 2 - X265 4K

-> Rookies, Novices and Enthusiasts Leagues only
-> Air and water cooling only

Average Top 5 scores with unique CPU's
1. Chino - 4.41FPS with i5 6500
2. Mystic1 - 8.83 FPS with i7 7700K

Stage 3 - GPUPI for CPU 1B
-> Rookies, Novices, Enthusiasts Leagues and Apprentice Leagues only
-> All cooling allowed

Average Top 2 scores with unique CPU's
1. OMEGA CENTAURI - 3min 59sec 174ms with i7 5820K
2. JAB383 - 2min 23sec 606ms with i7 6950X

Stage 4 - Reference Clock
-> Rookies, Novices, Enthusiasts Leagues, Apprentice and Extreme Leagues only
-> All cooling allowed

Average Top 3 scores with unique chipsets
1. jab383 - 356.64MHz with Z170
2. Meankeys - 375.1MHz with Z270
3. Menthol - 559.98MHz with X48

Stage 5 - 3DMark Time Spy 1x
-> All Leagues
-> All cooling allowed
-> Only ASUS graphics card

Average Top2 scores with unique GPU's
1. Meankeys - 8871 marks with GTX 1080
2. Menthol - 7443 mars with GTX 1070
And don't forget, Keep pushing it !

meankeys
Level 13
Anyone who would like to join Menthol and I please post here. Remember no pressure its all for fun 🙂 and may be some prize stuff o_O

jab383
Level 13
The first two stages are limited to the ambient cooling leagues: Novice and Rookie only in stage 1. They can be joined by enthusiasts in stage 2. One of AkaNe's points is that our ROG team has the most rookies and novices on the 'bot, although not all active. We should have no trouble coerc ... err ... persuading many with varying hardware to join in. There's lots of room for contributions in the 5 scores needed for the X265 stage.

AkaNe, does it go like it has in other such contests? The way HWBOT works in team contests like Country Cup, anyone can submit with whatever hardware meets limitations. In Country Cup, teams are formed by the country registered in the user's profile. Same here when registered on the ROG team. The best submission with one piece of hardware scores for the team. The best submission with different hardware is the second score for the team. Best submission with a third hardware type is the third score. The three scores are averaged for the team stage score. There isn't any limit on the number of entries a user can submit, nor on the number of team members trying in the stages they're eligible for. Sounds to me like the winning strategy is for everyone to try for every stage they can.

The tough stage might be reference clock where the hardware that has to vary is the chipset. We need several motherboard generations represented -- Z270, Z170, X99, Z97, Z87 etc.

I'll try TimeSpy with my air cooled Strix 1060, but it can be beat by almost any 1070 let alone 1080. Anyone else is welcome to make the team score better. Meankeys, do you use LN2 on GPUs?