cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW fans rev up ever so slightly, considering bios update or Fan Xpert 2

Amenophis
Level 10
For the past couple weeks or so, my fans on this G750JW rev up every couple minutes and then back to normal. This is not doing any gaming at all but only with a couple programs opened up.
I've thought of updating the BIOS from 208 to 210 but am half afraid to do that for fear of an explosion. Not sure that would help the fan issue anyway. I'm wondering if a program called Fan Xpert 2 would help. Please advise.
12 REPLIES 12

Zka17
Level 16
One more time: you won't get an explosion from a bad BIOS update! Stop being afraid of that!
Maximum can happen is that your laptop won't work...
Now, let's see if someone knows if Fan Xpert 2 would help your cause...

Amenophis
Level 10
Hopefully not an explosion nor a burst of flame shooting out the back of this unit from a BIOS update. Yes indeed, info regarding the Fan Xpert 2 would be interesting.

Amenophis
Level 10
Yes Zka17, it does seem I've come over to the right part of the forum for answers to my question. So far, so good. Very good!!!

Amenophis
Level 10
What does it mean when after updating BIOS and the computer will do nothing? This is related to the fan issue and since apparently no one is going to give a response to my first question, I shall ask the second. Again, this is (or was) related to the first question.

Amenophis wrote:
What does it mean when after updating BIOS and the computer will do nothing? This is related to the fan issue and since apparently no one is going to give a response to my first question, I shall ask the second. Again, this is (or was) related to the first question.

It depends on what you mean by "computer will do nothing." Do you mean it wont boot? Just black screen on power up? That would probably mean the bios flash was not 100% successful and probably killed it, sadly. Give some more info.

Also, if your fans just spike every now and then that might be fixed just by blowing them out with compressed air to clean them, get all of the dust out. Dust can build up on the vents/fans/heatsink fins and deteriorate their abilities to transfer heat effectively. A bios update rarely effects fan behavior of the sort.

EDIT:
Also, consider running a program to monitor component temperatures and see if anything is getting hot or has temps fluctuating. SpeedFan is one and there are several other good options available on the internet.

Zka17
Level 16
Computer will do nothing - means exactly that... won't turn on at all... how could I explain "nothing" better than that?

Zka17 wrote:
Computer will do nothing - means exactly that... won't turn on at all... how could I explain "nothing" better than that?

You can say "won't turn on." Now if you want my help...
What that means is that the bios didn't flash correctly, you probably bricked your motherboard. You can try resetting the cmos by looking for a small pin reset button on the bottom of your laptop. The DC jack and battery need to be disconnected, hold the reset button for 30 seconds. If you cant find a reset button you can hold down the power button for about 2 minutes or take out the CMOS battery. If you are lucky, your cmos will reset and you will be able to reboot your computer. Likely though, your bios is burned and you'll have to reflash it. I think this laptop has a recovery menu that can reflash your bios if you cant access it. Hold down CTRL+HOME then press the power button, continue holding the keys. A menu should come up where you can reflash your bios from a FAT or FAT32(dont know which one, use google) formatted usb stick with a specially named bios file on it. If no menu exists then you can do it with an AVR programmer or a device like the busPirate 4. You would probably just RMA it at that point, hopefully with a warranty. Good luck.

ZKa, your explanation of "nothing" leaves me absolutely astounded. From a zero to ten, permit me to give you 10.

Amenophis
Level 10
My BIOS is ok. I was asking a question for a hypothetical situation. As to the fans spinning up a little bit every couple minutes, I have used compressed air and an ever so slight bit of dust came out but not much. Is it normal for fans on a laptop such as this to spin up like this? It's not a serious revving up but enough to be noticed. Further instruction will be so much appreciated. Thanks.