cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get SLI to work with two ROG STRIX 1080s

VATX7
Level 7
Hi!

I ordered a 2nd gpu and it's connected up and correctly recognized by windows, and shows up in the NVidia control panel. However there is no SLI option in the NVidia control panel; SLI doesn't even show up.

The only possible thing I can think of is the fact I'm using two bendy old style SLI bridges instead of one high bandwidth bridge. This is because the high bandwith bridge supplied with the Crosshair VI Hero is for some strange reason 60mm instead of 40mm. I'm waiting to receive a "0 slot spacing" 40mm EVGA HB Bridge. Why would the supplied HB Bridge be too large for two ASUS graphics cards? It's all ASUS hardware. I figured it would work together.

A dude a Fry's Electronics told me two old school bridges would work, but I wouldn't get 100% performance. Maybe 80-90%. I bought them anyways cause I wanted to get it working asap.

Is my problem here the two SLI bridges?

14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15

Zka17
Level 16
Sometimes you just have to remove the driver and clean install it back with both cards on the board...

Both 1080s show up in the device manager. I also reinstalled my NVidia drivers. No luck

Actually I didn't try a true clean install. I'll try that now

A clean install didn't work. NVidia is still correctly detecting both cards, but gives no SLI option

Check out the bus interface in this picture. Left picture is 1080 one, and right is 1080 two.

One is "3.0 @ x16 3.0" and the other is "2.0 @ x1 2.0"

I am a royal dumbass lol. I wasn't working with proper light and had the 2nd GPU in the wrong slot.. WOW! 😮 Also explains why the stock bridge wasn't fitting.

Everything is good now. SLI is working! Thank you for trying to help!

Wow ! I'm glad you got that figured out. I have a 1080 ti sli set up. When I saw your picture, I was wondering how your two cards were so close?

That is a gorgeous looking computer! Two 1080 ti's must be beast! I'm pretty happy with the 1080's. 112fps in BF1 at 1440p 144Hz, all ultra settings and 130% resolution scale. (Holy crap resolution scale is amazing!)

Yeah, so many things weren't adding up lol. Cards were way too close. Supposedly wrong SLI bridge included with the motherboard. It slipped right in and was mostly functioning. I should have taken the top card out before installing the new one.