cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something is wrong with my RGB's.

LGDJackal
Level 7
Hello guys, first time post here. I am using the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero and I put it in my existing Phanteks case. I had an RGB strip from Phanteks before I got the motherboard, but could only use the pre programmed colors built into the case controller. When I got the Motherboard I plugged the adapter chord into the motherboard and into the stip and left the strip plugged into the case as I thought the motherboard header was just for controlling the RGB's and not power. Needless to say the strip quickly went black and I heard electrical popping. I quickly unplugged the RGB strip and shut down the PC. After booting without the strip, I plugged it into the Motherboard alone and it worked fine but the color was off on the strip compared to the motherboard RGB's. I shut down, plugged the strip back into the case, and flipped through the colors and noticed that some colors half the strip was one color and the other half was different. I assumed that the RGB strip was bad and ordered a Cablemod Widebeam set. Those just got here today and I plugged them in happily thinking I could finally complete my RGB setup and I realized the colors on the strip were delayed from the motherboard and off color too. Its obviously not the strip because its brand new. I just wanted to ask the forum bros if you think the header on the Motherboard might be bad now even though it can still light an RGB strip and change the colors. I definitely head shorting, but there were signs of that in the strip and I assumed it was just the strip bad. Should I RMA my board guys? Any help is greatly appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3

Findolin
Level 7
LGDJackal wrote:
Hello guys, first time post here. I am using the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero and I put it in my existing Phanteks case. I had an RGB strip from Phanteks before I got the motherboard, but could only use the pre programmed colors built into the case controller. When I got the Motherboard I plugged the adapter chord into the motherboard and into the stip and left the strip plugged into the case as I thought the motherboard header was just for controlling the RGB's and not power. Needless to say the strip quickly went black and I heard electrical popping. I quickly unplugged the RGB strip and shut down the PC. After booting without the strip, I plugged it into the Motherboard alone and it worked fine but the color was off on the strip compared to the motherboard RGB's. I shut down, plugged the strip back into the case, and flipped through the colors and noticed that some colors half the strip was one color and the other half was different. I assumed that the RGB strip was bad and ordered a Cablemod Widebeam set. Those just got here today and I plugged them in happily thinking I could finally complete my RGB setup and I realized the colors on the strip were delayed from the motherboard and off color too. Its obviously not the strip because its brand new. I just wanted to ask the forum bros if you think the header on the Motherboard might be bad now even though it can still light an RGB strip and change the colors. I definitely head shorting, but there were signs of that in the strip and I assumed it was just the strip bad. Should I RMA my board guys? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I had a similar issue with my Phanteks case. Try turning off the LED controller on your case by holding the LED button down for at least 3 seconds. Even if the controller is not power connected. It will draw it's power from the motherboards RGB header.

I have a Hero board too and added one of the 30cm Cablemod Widebeam strips and all is working well. I have a Phantex case too. Which of the two RGB connectors are you connecting to on the motherboard? Have you tried both and see how things looked? Which of the effects are you running in the Aura software?

mcleod52 wrote:
I have a Hero board too and added one of the 30cm Cablemod Widebeam strips and all is working well. I have a Phantex case too. Which of the two RGB connectors are you connecting to on the motherboard? Have you tried both and see how things looked? Which of the effects are you running in the Aura software?

Hello again guys, I tried turning off the cases RGB controller as suggested and it made no difference. To answer your questions, I have the RGB header cable that came with the motherboard plugged in and then the Cablemod adapter that came with the 60 cm version plugged into that to more easily fit the pins into the cable. I was and have been running the Rainbow on normal preset in Aura and the colors are just off. When the motherboard RGB's turn orange for example, the strip will turn white. What is even more baffling is that the cable can reproduce orange with some fiddling but even in the static settings, some colors don't come through properly in the strip as they do on the board. I have also tried plugging in just the cable that came with the motherboard in and then putting it into the strip, running the Cablemod adapter from the Mobo to the strip, and even going so far as to plug the strip directly into the motherboard pins to no avail. I have had other RGB lighting software on my PC and run the CAM software for my NZXT Kraken X62. I heard that these can interfere with each other and that may be causing issues too. I might do a fresh install of windows again because this system has been through a lot of hardware in the last year with no wipes. If I do that, is there a way to reset the RGB controller in the case and mobo similarly? I think they have some kind of storage settings for the RGB's as they don't change through wipes. Sorry for being long winded, I just want to eliminate every possible avenue that I could take before resorting to RMA's.