cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeSync/G-Sync monitor newbie question

bfollowell
Level 9
I am still planning out my new gaming build that I will be putting together later this year, likely in the fall. Originally, I had planned to continue using the Asus 24" VW246H I've been using since 2010 as it's still a great monitor and I've been fine with 1080P. Still an i5-7600K and a GeForce GTX 1070 seems sort of overkill for 1080P gaming. So, I've been giving a lot of serious thought to adding a 27" 1440P gaming monitor to my build. I've read up a little on FreeSync and G-Sync monitors and I think I have a decent idea about the theory behind them. I'm a die-hard Nvidia fan and have used nothing but Nvidia based cards since retiring my old Canopus Pure3D II Voodoo2 SLI setup back around 2000. I'm assuming that, in order to benefit from their features, as an Nvidia user, I'd pretty much have to get a G-Sync monitor, correct? If I picked up a FreeSync monitor instead, the Asus MG279Q for instance, I'd get absolutely no benefit from its FreeSync technology since my Nvidia card and its drivers aren't setup to use them. Is that pretty much correct?

If that's the case, I'll probably be looking at the Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, but it is considerably more expensive.

I'm just trying to plan and budget accordingly.

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

InternetOwl
Level 8
Canopus. There's a name I haven't heard for a while. They made such nice cards. 🙂 And yes since you are sticking to NVIDIA cards then you will need a G-Sync monitor to make use of the feature. A Freesync one will work fine with an NVIDIA card but you will not be able to use the 'Freesync' feature of the monitor, as a G-Sync monitor will work fine normally with an AMD card but you will not be able to use G-Sync with one. So plan on something like the PG278QR you mention. G-Sync monitors work very well but do run more on the expensive side.

GL