Asus Crosshair VI

Ryzen 1800x

GTX 1080 FE

16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD

Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD 200GB

Corsair H115i CPU cooler

Corsair RMX 850W PSU

This system has been running stable for around 20 days now, and 10 days of that was running a CPU overclock of 1.4GHz with the CPU voltage set to 1.4 automatically, and the LLC was taking it up to 1.5 volts at times.

While in a game today (Player Unknown's Battleground) I blue-screened and immediately powered my system off, reverted to factory settings, cleared my CMOS and tried to boot into Windows. I got nothing past the BIOS/UEFI.

I flashed the latest bios from 0902 to 1002 x64 and tried to boot into windows. Nothing. Except this time it said my overclocking failed. Q code 8, orange Q LED.

I've gone through every forum post here on Q Code 8 and some of you guys say it's a CPU error. I'm not seeing anything on it in my manual so I'm not sure. But the Q LED being orange pointed me to reconfigure my DRAM into tbe recommended configuration. I got that in order and tried to boot into windows, still nothing.

I got ahold of some people from the /r/AMD discord and they were helping me troubleshoot and directed me to try underclocking, first I just tried lowering my voltage manually from the factory settings. I took it to 1.365V and successfully got into windows, but crashed 20 seconds later, Q Code 8, orange LED.

I tried lowering my clock speed below 3.6 to 3.4 @ 1.3V and that didn't even get me into Windows for 20 seconds. I contacted Asus Support and all they had me do was run a test bench (so I pulled out one stick of DRAM and my HDD lol) and still got nowhere.

Perhaps my CPU is fried? But I don't think so, it's not been running at very high temp (never went past 65 celsius when under load) and it is booted into the BIOS/UEFI fine.

Is it my motherboard misreading things and shutting down on me? What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6

BaneSilvermoon
Level 7
Sounds somewhat similar to how mine would behave when it wasn't reading the CPU temperatures correctly and the fans weren't responding accordingly.
Do you have Sense MI Skew disabled, in Tweakers Paradise? If not, try that and see if your temperatures still look the same.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
Sounds somewhat similar to how mine would behave when it wasn't reading the CPU temperatures correctly and the fans weren't responding accordingly.
Do you have Sense MI Skew disabled, in Tweakers Paradise? If not, try that and see if your temperatures still look the same.

I just tried this and still got q code 8.

Sorry for the brevity, was at work. I wasn't expecting that to resolve the Q-code 8. Just wondering if you might have multiple issues going on that could possibly be contributing to each other. Your temperatures seem very low to me for an over-clocked system. My rig is at stock speeds, under-volted, with water cooling and I reach similar or higher temperatures under load. Get near 60 sometimes sitting in the BIOS.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
Sorry for the brevity, was at work. I wasn't expecting that to resolve the Q-code 8. Just wondering if you might have multiple issues going on that could possibly be contributing to each other. Your temperatures seem very low to me for an over-clocked system. My rig is at stock speeds, under-volted, with water cooling and I reach similar or higher temperatures under load. Get near 60 sometimes sitting in the BIOS.

Well I'm not overclocked anymore, but it still seems to think I am. One out of every 5 attempts to boot into windows, I've gotten a screen saying my Overclock failed, despite being at stock settings.

I was overclocked to 4.01GHz @ 1.4V prior my initial crash, and I was never shooting higher than 65 Celsius on the CPU temps.

I've sent in an RMA request on my motherboard, at this point I'm really annoyed and unsure of where my problem resides. This system was stable for almost a month, and the overclock was stable for almost a week.

Doesn't help with your issue, and I haven't tested it specifically on this board. But in past experience with ASUS boards that "Overclock Failed" message seemed to just be a generic response to post failure. You could actually replicate it at stock settings by interrupting the post process at the right time.

Seemed to be the response to the system failing to complete certain stages of the post process, assuming that everything worked as normal and the system didn't complete post, so it goes to that screen and forces you into the BIOS to correct whatever caused it. When it actually could be that your cat jumped onto your power button right after you turned your system on. (Yes this is a true story)

Hi,

I had the same issue.
Windows faild to start. But Hirens Boot CD worked so i checked the Ram with MEMTEST without errors.
Also some Linux Live CD´s worked.

So after 2 weeks of trying I send it back on warrenty. Lets see what happends when I get a Board back and i put the memory and the CPU on it.

For History of my issues you can look up this Thread:
BSOD "DIGTAL SIGNATURE ERROR" ON SSD / DVD & USB 0XC0000428