cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest bios update utterly destroyed my brand new PC

Tomisannoyed
Level 7
Hi all

I am extremelly angry with ASUS and looking for help, I built a new computer which has been running flawlessly for five weeks, this morning I had a prompt to update bios via the EZupdater ( what a f****n joke this was)
It has utterly destroyed my computer, I spent four hours trying to fix their "update" only to have totally wipe two HDs one an SSD and a 4tb HDD and start from scratch as the PC would not boot up, not restore, not do ANYTHING.
So I wiped both and installed windows as if a new system, now I cant get windows to recognize my 4tb HDD although intel rapid storage sees it as fine.

I am expecting help from ASUS as they CAUSED this issue with their "update" that has totally fried my system, as u can tell I am absolutely furious at ASUS destroying my system and if they do not help me to rectify their mistake I will be going to every possible avenue I can think of to complain about them f***n up my computer.

Words cannot describe my anger and frustration, it took me ages to even have the "privilege" to even have access to their forums.

The update was today, any help would be greatly appreciated as I had to wipe two HDDS and start afresh and I fear that now my brand new 4tbb HDD is not working due to ASUS
Apologies to those who detect my intense anger and frustration, this was ALL CAUSED by "ezupdater" updating the bios...... what a joke
I am absolutely disgusted with ASUS right now, this is a three thousand pound (UK) computer and they have destroyed it with one update, not only that but the hassle to just register and post on their forums is a disgrace.
Thank you in advance for any help, I will try to provide any information I can to help you help me.

Thank you

Rest assured ASUS, your update caused this, I will be screaming to all who listen unless this is sorted
21 REPLIES 21

Tomisannoyed
Level 7
For those willing to help, I wiped both HDD and reinstalled windows, windows does not see my 4tb HDD in disk management but intel rapid storage sees it and it is green ticked as all fine, I cannot physically acces this HDD now, it had about a hundred games installed before, I concede i may have to wipe it but i cannot get win 10 to even see it to wipe it.
I can live with ASUS inept update and am prepared to start from scratch again but I need this HDD as my one TB SSD cannot fit all the games I have on it, plus it was obviously brand new and working and very expensive, i want to be able to access my HDD, the update i installed this morning stated along the lines that I would need RAID so I went into bios and set the two hard drives to raid mode when the update broke my PC thinking this would fix it, i was wrong .... I am pretty godd with computers but clearly I am out of my depth now because lets face it, when an update pops up, Obviously you should be some kind of computer savant to make it work !!!!

Please... please help

Tomisannoyed wrote:
For those willing to help, I wiped both HDD and reinstalled windows, windows does not see my 4tb HDD in disk management but intel rapid storage sees it and it is green ticked as all fine, I cannot physically acces this HDD now, it had about a hundred games installed before, I concede i may have to wipe it but i cannot get win 10 to even see it to wipe it.
I can live with ASUS inept update and am prepared to start from scratch again but I need this HDD as my one TB SSD cannot fit all the games I have on it, plus it was obviously brand new and working and very expensive, i want to be able to access my HDD, the update i installed this morning stated along the lines that I would need RAID so I went into bios and set the two hard drives to raid mode when the update broke my PC thinking this would fix it, i was wrong .... I am pretty godd with computers but clearly I am out of my depth now because lets face it, when an update pops up, Obviously you should be some kind of computer savant to make it work !!!!

Please... please help

Thank you for your reply

I am very new to raid, i was not using it before, it was set in bios as the basic easy auto OC setup and i was not using raid before this update and I didnt attempt to switch to raid until the PC wouldnt boot.
My rig is this:

Corsair CC-9011098-WW Crystal Series 570X RGB Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Tempered Glass Case with Fan - Black
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive - Black
4TB Seagate ST4000NM0033 Constellation, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200rpm
ASUS STRIX-GTX1080-08G Gaminig Graphics Card with NVIDIA GTX1080 1759 MHz 8 Go and PCI Express
ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard
Corsair CP-9020091-UK RM650x 650 W 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular 135 mm Thermally Controlled Fan Power Supply Unit - Black
Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz QuadCore 8MB Cache Processor
G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4 3400MHz C16 1.35V Memory Kit

Thank you

Oh, and yes the first thing i did was bios defaults, I also tried many variations of bios, I am not sure what you mean/how to clear CMOS,

If I am missing anything relevent please let me know, hopefully this is pretty detailed compared to other "I dunno, its a grey computer and has nvidea things in it?" 🙂

EDIT
It also has a cpu cooler that i cant remember the specs of currently but just a basic 3 fan liquid cooler that shouldnt be relevent

I do appreciate your help, and when I have calmed down, I will try tomorrow to unplug the HDD and reinstall windows on the SSD only, I do not how to alter CMOS but i have a brain so will google it,
I am currently half way between the gutter and the stars .... 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you want help it's probably best to tell us what motherboard etc...system specs.

Have you cleared CMOS? i.e. set BIOS defaults.

Were you using RAID before?

The update would not say "you need RAID" it would say re-establish raid in BIOS if you are using it after update...

Chino
Level 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm...

Well to be honest I'm not sure what has happened...RAID should not be set by OC...if you are not using RAID best not to set it. I presume you have not created a raid array.

If I were you I would disconnect all drives....clear CMOS and start again. Set XMP for memory....don't OC anything else.... Connect only target drive for OS....SSD I presume and do a clean UEFI install of Windows 10.

You will not need Intel RST

Once you have installed W10...connect the other drives. Default settings in BIOS after clearing CMOS will be AHCI...you should leave it at that...

The other drives should show up in BIOS and in Windows...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmmm...

Well to be honest I'm not sure what has happened...RAID should not be set by OC...if you are not using RAID best not to set it. I presume you have not created a raid array.

If I were you I would disconnect all drives....clear CMOS and start again. Set XMP for memory....don't OC anything else.... Connect only target drive for OS....SSD I presume and do a clean UEFI install of Windows 10.

You will not need Intel RST

Once you have installed W10...connect the other drives. Default settings in BIOS after clearing CMOS will be AHCI...you should leave it at that...

The other drives should show up in BIOS and in Windows...

I dont fully understand some of your post, I am not up to date with modern PC terminology, RAID was not set by OC, I changed form OC to raid after the update as nothing esle seemed to work, I dont know what you mean buy raid array but i did get bios to setup raid with my two HDDs which seemed to go fine, I did do a new install of win10 on the SSD.

All is actually fine, everything is working but I have lost many many hours installing games (and playing so loads of save games gone but there you go ..)
My main problem is that my 4TB HD does not exist according to disk manager, I had downloaded intel rapid storage, when I load it it states that "my HDD has been protected from storage loss" or words to that effect, then it shows it as green ticked and "woking normally" but win 10 does not detect so i cant access or see it.

I have not bothered installing any bios software after installing win 10 as that should all still be there and lest face it I am now reluctant to update bios in any way !!

Did you try reverting back to the previous BIOS version?

mcleod52 wrote:
Did you try reverting back to the previous BIOS version?

That was something i looked for but for the life of could not see anyway to do, that wouldve been the first obvious and best solution yes, I am newish to building computers, much has changed in ten years and my experience is not what it was, but if that was/is possible I wouldve done that if I knew how