cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossair VI Hero not detecting M.2

bLAD3Y
Level 7
I am having trouble detecting the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 drive in the BIOS. When I installed the hardware the M.2 drive detected fine and I loaded Windows 10 Pro on it and was able to boot with the drive. I then started installing the ASUS drivers and my other applications. After about 4 hours windows had it's first update and rebooted the system. After the reboot was not able to boot from the M.2 drive. I then went to check the BIOS and it was no longer detecting the drive.

Troubleshooting:
I removed the M.2 stick and put it back, but it was still not detecting the drive.
I tried removing all USB connections to the motherboard except for the mouse and keyboard.
I tried updating the BIOS to the latest version, (CROSSHAIR VI HERO BIOS 0902) and it was still not detecting the M.2.
I then tried clearing the CMOS and still nothing.
I then tried updating to the beta BIOS (UEFI build 1001) but still no luck.
I switched to RAID to see if it would pick up the drive, but noticed all other drives in the BIOS shows M.2 XXXX (xxxx being the SSD or normal HDD). In the RAID configuration I also only saw the SSD and HDD, but not the M.2

After all of the above I gave up and rolled back to BIOS 0902, still no luck detecting the drive after a couple of days. So I sent the drive for RMA. The supplier tested the drive and no fault was found. So if it is not the M.2 drive, then I am fearing that it might be the motherboard itself.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Hardware as follows:
Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD RYZEN X370 Chipset ATX Motherboard
Samsung Samsung 960 EVO Series NVMe 500GB M.2 Solid State Drive
AMD Socket AM4 RYZEN 7 1800X 8 Core 3.6GHz Processor
Corsair CP-9020090 RM550X 550W Modular Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pi RAM
Western Digital Black 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD

The older components that got transplanted are:
Corsair H115i Hydro Series CPU Liquid Cooling Kit
Asus STRIX 1080GTX 8GB
Samsung 750 EVO Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive