Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    I'm not sure the exact details of the testing but they showed results that all the tests passed and even the system was also rebooting without issues. They are working with Samsung on a solution for this issue if determined to be hardware related. I'll continue to follow up and provide updates when available.
    I have three friends with the same laptop - all are facing the same probelm. None of them could install Creators update without tweaking the Bios setting.

New ROGer Array

Arrow CPU fan at 100% after failed update

CPU fans will go full speed 25,500 RPM and stay there.
    no matter the load (3%) or temp (45*)

This happened after a failed Windows Creator Update,
    Is this related?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Mine did that

Quote Originally Posted by Frosti7 View Post
    CPU fans will go full speed 25,500 RPM and stay there.
    no matter the load (3%) or temp (45*)

This happened after a failed Windows Creator Update,
    Is this related?
    Mine does that now every boot after installing the creators update using the BIOS tweak method (SMART = off), but it settles down after 30 seconds or so, or if I restart it again. Odd behavior.

ROG Member Array

If they don't get this resolved soon, I'd urge everyone in the US with the issue to consult a lawyer and speak to them about the Warranty Act; it will be considered a lemon if Asus can't get this fixed, as our products are not working as advertised, and therefore eligible for a refund under the lawsuit.

Ex-employee Array

Quote Originally Posted by ithorien View Post
    If they don't get this resolved soon, I'd urge everyone in the US with the issue to consult a lawyer and speak to them about the Warranty Act; it will be considered a lemon if Asus can't get this fixed, as our products are not working as advertised, and therefore eligible for a refund under the lawsuit.
    It's being looked into and this issue is related not just to ASUS but to Microsoft, Samsung, and Nvidia.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    It's being looked into and this issue is related not just to ASUS but to Microsoft, Samsung, and Nvidia.
    I'm sorry for the blunt approach, but as I already said, in the end it is an Asus product with an Asus warranty that the company is failing to make good on in a timely manner. If there were compatibility issues, it was up to Asus to ensure this product is stable, not the vendors Asus chose. After all, Samsung or Microsoft didn't make this laptop, Asus did. When we buy these products, we're sold a manufacturer warranty, not a 9812053 different vendors warranty; this is a standard practice and one of the benefits of purchasing an already built/made PC/laptop. If I put this thing together myself, I wouldn't be bothering to fight for our rights as consumers.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ithorien View Post
    I'm sorry for the blunt approach, but as I already said, in the end it is an Asus product with an Asus warranty that the company is failing to make good on in a timely manner. If there were compatibility issues, it was up to Asus to ensure this product is stable, not the vendors Asus chose. After all, Samsung or Microsoft didn't make this laptop, Asus did. When we buy these products, we're sold a manufacturer warranty, not a 9812053 different vendors warranty; this is a standard practice and one of the benefits of purchasing an already built/made PC/laptop. If I put this thing together myself, I wouldn't be bothering to fight for our rights as consumers.
    +1

Also I dont understand how they are not able to recreate the problem at their end? In short the problem is updating laptop to creators update - and temp solution is turning off SMART. With these inputs (all by hit and trial by users) I dont think it could be even a problem for them to release a fix. The way I see it, they had this problem with early 6-7 month batch and now they are least bothered about us as no one has gone legal against them.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by poptaz3r View Post
    No, I believe there is an issue with the OEM Samsung NVMe SSD drives that come in these laptop, That is why people that only run sata drives have had no issues and why others that added SSD later have had success with the upgrade to CU. In fact, as a test I bought a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe and was able to get through the install without force shutdowns after every auto reboot during install. I have been able to restart with no issues as well. All seems normal with the 960 EVO.

Further I did a DOD wipe of the OEM NVMe part# mzvpv256hdgl-00000 (the stock SSD drive) to make sure there was no wonky data or partition hiding on there and attempted a fresh install of CU. On the first auto reboot I got the same BCD boot error.
    Have not been talking to HQ or Bahz about this and not sure if this will help much, but had the chance to check two RMA GL502VS (6th gen. Intel CPU) units running the latest 302 bios and noticed they both had the Samsung 256Gb M.2 SSDs installed with Windows 10 v1703 as in the screenshot below although it looks like they were clean installs rather than upgrades from the original ASUS image (the units were sent in for RMA this way, and didn't do the Win10 upgrades myself), so it doesn't appear all the drives have this issue if that is really the cause or maybe these customers found a way around it.

Both units also had SMART enabled in the bios as below and booted Win10 v1703 fine.

If anyone wants consider sending back their unit for RMA, curious if installing the latest ASUS Windows 10 image on the unit will work any better to upgrade to Win10 Creators Update, but not sure what will happen at this point.

Anyway, looks like it may take more investigation to figure this out. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gl502vs v1703a.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	66725

==========

Name:	gl502vs 302 smart2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	66726
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 08-19-2017 at 02:04 AM.

New ROGer Array

Red face

hello to everybody, first of all.

secondly, funny, but I have a partial similar problem, but started from an opposing direction: few weeks ago I bought an Asus Rog 553vd with 1TB HDD, in which it was mounted a SSD (Crucial 275 GB / firmware updated). I uninstalled its Endless OS from HDD and I installed a fresh 1703 Windows version, legally activated etc. After almost 10 days, system freezes in idle and started to show BSoD with whea_uncorrectable_error, at the end I couldn't get into Windows logon due to earlier total freeze during boot/reboot.
    I sent my laptop to an authorized Asus service in my country and came back with an old Windows 10 (10240 version) in which everything were stable/working, except video card (GTX 1050), which was without driver installed. They said that it was necessary a BIOS update (it was a lie, because I already update it to 302 version) and they put a test Windows (old) version to prove that everything is ok.
    I went online, downloaded latest driver for nvidia card but I cannot install it due to this old version of Windows (I received an error from driver installer saying that). So, naturally, I started Windows update, which is bringing now Creator update. But this update is freezing again my laptop during its earlier stage of install or having again BSoD with whea_uncorrectable_error. Even previous one is freezing my laptop (1607 Windows version).
    So, right now, I'm going in circles: I cannot install latest nvidia driver due to this old windows 10 version that I have and cannot update current windows version due to video card without driver installed (I personally think that these two are related).
    I tried also these tricks with smart disabled in BIOS etc, but not working.....tomorrow I'll try Windows 8.1, to see if is working well

I found out today on Asus site there is a hotfix which might fix BSoD, if anyone can help me how to install it, thanks in advance: https://www.asus.com/ro/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/ - check latest file named HOTFIX Version V3.0.3

ROG Enthusiast Array

Is there a later image?

cl-Albert,

Is there a later image? I just got mine back from RMA 2 weeks ago, and it shipped back to me with 1607 not 1703. I know that I can disable SMART in the BIOS and install the Creator's update, but I would prefer to not perform a workaround if I can help it. I am also sporting the latest BIOS (302) and all the latest drivers using the ASUS update tool.

The issue with booting, for me, was during a reboot or cold boot I would be stuck at the BSD error black screen, but a normal ctrl-alt-del would not trigger it, so when I was at that error, if I would simply press ctrl-alt-del I could get past it no problem.

Another artifact of the BIOS workaround and the Creator's update, was (at least for me) the inability to use the recovery image anymore. I don't know if it didn't ship built correctly, or if during the upgrade it didn't update it. But I noticed that when I tried to use it, it would get to the 2nd reboot and say that there was an unexpected error and revert back to 1703. I spent many hours digging on forums trying to find a way to update the recovery partition and validate it. And all signs pointed to a non-usable (but not corrupt) recovery partition post update. My thinking is the CU caused the disconnect with the RP, but there is still a firmware issue with the SSD's that needs to be addressed, as the Fall CU is right around the corner and we don't want to go through this again.

I am sitting nice and tight on 1607 with the Spring CU in the ignore list for now until ASUS comes up with an official fix/response.

Also, if there is need to have a test machine, or to test out a BIOS fix I am willing to use my machine. It is just for games, so not production or used for work or anything like that.

Thanks and I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Have not been talking to HQ or Bahz about this and not sure if this will help much, but had the chance to check two RMA GL502VS (6th gen. Intel CPU) units running the latest 302 bios and noticed they both had the Samsung 256Gb M.2 SSDs installed with Windows 10 v1703 as in the screenshot below although it looks like they were clean installs rather than upgrades from the original ASUS image (the units were sent in for RMA this way, and didn't do the Win10 upgrades myself), so it doesn't appear all the drives have this issue if that is really the cause or maybe these customers found a way around it.

Both units also had SMART enabled in the bios as below and booted Win10 v1703 fine.

If anyone wants consider sending back their unit for RMA, curious if installing the latest ASUS Windows 10 image on the unit will work any better to upgrade to Win10 Creators Update, but not sure what will happen at this point.

Anyway, looks like it may take more investigation to figure this out. Thanks.

Name:	gl502vs v1703a.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	66725

==========

Name:	gl502vs 302 smart2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	66726
    Last edited by ssbob98; 08-21-2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added something