Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by raeven63 View Post
    Why is it necessary to work around windows update? Every time my computer starts up it redownloads the update insists on restarting and then locks up which means a hard shut down recover last installed windows and the cycle continues. I called asus a week ago and was told someone would call me back within 24 hours and have heard nothing. This has been going on for months. Frustrated.
    what is the make and model of ur laptop? ive tried everything

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vavery View Post
    You should all know that the SMART disabling solution is recommended officially on Asus support page, FAQ section, starting with Dec. 21, 2017. See it here:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034929

Of course nobody from Asus Support bothered to update this thread that the workaround really works.
    Thank you poptaz3r for your help!

After 7-8 failed updates over a period of 4-5 months, I just followed the above link and disabled the SMART and it updated to 1709 smoothly!
    Thank you guys!

By the way, should re-enable SMART in BIOS now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@kingKAI I have the same laptop as yours (ASUS GL502VT). Finally managed to update to 1709 after disabling SMART in BIOS.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Saikat7 View Post
    After 7-8 failed updates over a period of 4-5 months, I just followed the above link and disabled the SMART and it updated to 1709 smoothly!
    Thank you guys!

By the way, should re-enable SMART in BIOS now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@kingKAI I have the same laptop as yours (ASUS GL502VT). Finally managed to update to 1709 after disabling SMART in BIOS.
    @Saikat im glad it worked for you man. what is your boot drive? Samsung?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by kingKAI View Post
    @Saikat im glad it worked for you man. what is your boot drive? Samsung?
    Yes, it's a Samsung 256GB SSD.
    Only difference between your and my set up seem to be the BIOS version - I am still using the old BIOS it came with.

I have been following your post as I had the same model and the same problem with update... when I saw your screenshots I thought even disabling SMART may not work... but luckily it did.

May be you should try again (Sometime changes are not saved in BIOS, press F10 after disabling SMART to save and exit from BIOS)

ROG Member Array

Adding insult to injury

After all the messing around with the Fall Creator Update issue, my keyboard is now unresponsive. I thought I was finally in the clear and actually started to enjoy this laptop again. The only button that works now is the power button. I have to use an external keyboard. It worked fine 2 days ago.

This portable PC just became a lot less portable. I called support and lead me about as far as with the FCU matter.

Any ideas from the experts here?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by RippedTester170 View Post
    After all the messing around with the Fall Creator Update issue, my keyboard is now unresponsive. I thought I was finally in the clear and actually started to enjoy this laptop again. The only button that works now is the power button. I have to use an external keyboard. It worked fine 2 days ago.

This portable PC just became a lot less portable. I called support and lead me about as far as with the FCU matter.

1. keyboard. try uninstalling the driver from device manager and install it again.
    2. Go back to Previous BUILD. You are still within the allotted 10 days.

New ROGer Array

Re-Enabling SMART?

Has anyone had any luck re-enabling smart? does the restarting issue come back?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by htx2000 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck re-enabling smart? does the restarting issue come back?
    Yes the restarting issue comes back after re-enabling SMART. So we might need to take the risk with SMART disabled. Plus Microsoft will no longer support 1607 after next month which means we are forced to update to CU next month. Shame on you ASUS

New ROGer Array

How to fix unresponsive keyboard after Windows 10 upgrade failure

Quote Originally Posted by RippedTester170 View Post

I have GL502VS and after several failed upgrades to 1709 (Fall Creators update), my keyboard became unresponsive. The only buttons that worked were power, ROG, and FN buttons, but the keyboard worked fine in BIOS. I was able to upgrade to 1703 (Creators update) and fix the keyboard problem. Following these steps might help you too (if you have already upgraded your Windows 10 successfully, then go to last step ):
    1. First of all, I recommend you to disable Windows automatic update by marking your connection as metered. You can do this as described here. I changed the value of Default, Ethernet and WiFi keys to 2 and made them metered. This step is because after every failed upgrade, Windows tries to download Windows 10 image again, and this wastes a lot of bandwidth.
    2. It is possible that your current Windows image has been corrupted by upgrade failure, so it's better to check it. Open command prompt as administrator and type
      Code:
      sfc /scannow
      . After it's finished, type these commands in order:
      1. Code:
        DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
      2. Code:
        DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
      3. Code:
        DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Also, it's better to check your storage devices (SSD and HDD) for errors before you attempt to upgrade again. Open command prompt as administrator. For every partition "i" that you have, type
      Code:
      chkdsk /r i:
      and schedule a disk check next time your computer restarts. Then restart your computer. I recommend you to restart your computer after scheduling a check for each partition, because once I scheduled "C:" and "D:" and then restarted and partition "D:"
      got checked twice!
      Please note that this step takes a long time (and by long time, I mean more than 4 hours) so make sure you have enough time for this
      Also, disk check might get stuck at 10 percent or so for a long time, but don't worry! It's doing its job behind the scenes. Just give it enough time.
    4. Now, open device manager and check if there are any drivers that are not working properly. These drivers are shown with a danger sign (yellow triangle with exclamation mark in the middle). Faulty drivers might cause windows upgrade to fail. You must make sure there are no faulty drivers before attempting to upgrade again. I recommend you to update every single driver. For me, "Intel Bluetooth driver" had some issues, and I could only fix it by updating all USB drivers!
      First, press "Scan for hardware changes" button on top several times. Then right click on each driver and click on "Update driver software" and choose "Search automatically for updated driver software" and let Windows do its job. Do this for all drivers, except the keyboard driver. If you try this for keyboard driver, Windows will fail to update it, and says "Driver not intended for this platform" and it's right! If you are curious, you can check the hardware ids. The first one is the hardware id of Asus Numpad, so windows tries to install it, but as Windows says correctly, the driver is not intended for this platform. I hope Asus fixes this problem, as it's preventing automatic driver updating tools from working properly. To fix this issue, right click on keyboard driver and click on "Update driver Software". Then choose "Browse my computer for driver software". Then click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". Make sure to check "Show compatible hardware". Now click on "HID Keyboard Device" and click next. Windows will succeed this time! Now, restart your computer. At this point, your keyboard might start working again. For me, it didn't.
    5. If your FN keys or ROG key are not working, you should uninstall "ATK Package" from control panel and then download and install it from here. Now, they must work.
    6. Now, go to BIOS -> Advanced -> SMART settings -> SMART self test and make it disabled. Then Save and Exit. Note: You cannot go to BIOS by pressing some keys at startup. You must use "Advanced Startup Options" in Windows 10. Check this link.
    7. Download Windows iso either by using Windows Media Creation tool and selecting "Create installation media for another PC" or by downloading it directly from this site (Don't worry! Download links of this site are from Microsoft itself!). This way, you can make sure that you don't have to redownload the iso file again. I used the second option (download from site), because I wanted to upgrade to 1703 for two reasons:

1. Upgrading from 1607 to 1703 and then from 1703 to 1709 sounds less riskier than upgrading from 1607 to 1709 directly (I think!).
      2. Asus has not yet published the list of compatible laptops with 1709, but has done so for 1703, so I know for sure that my laptop is compatible with 1703.

8. Now you are ready to upgrade! Mount the Windows 10 iso file you obtained in previous step and the double click on "setup.exe". Follow the steps to upgrade Windows 10. If you want the upgrade process to be faster, choose "Not right now" at the "Get important updates" page. Make sure your laptop is plugged-in during the upgrade process. Windows must upgrade correctly this time!
    9. Now, you have upgraded your Windows 10 successfully, but chances are that your keyboard is still not working! Go to Device manager. Right click on keyboard driver and click on "Update Driver Software". Choose "Browse my computer for driver software". Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers". Make sure to check "Show compatible hardware". Now click on "HID Keyboard Device" and click next. Windows will install this driver and your keyboard should work right away! (If not, restart your computer)

Note: I haven't enabled "SMART self test" again after upgrading to 1703 myself, but I don't think there should be a problem. Anyways, I think it's better to wait for Asus, Microsoft, and Samsung to give us a better solution before enabling "SMART" again.

Sorry for this long answer! It is meant to be comprehensive. This problem has made my laptop practically unusable for about a month, and I didn't have the option to sent it to Asus. I hope this answer helps you.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The ordeal started way back April 2017, finally its over.
    My machine ASUS GL502VT 16gb ram with SAMSUNG 850 evo SSD is now running windows 10 1709 version 16299.309 BUILD.

The only thing I did was a TRUE CLEAN INSTALL.

Shame on you ASUS and microsoft.

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast