Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

After lurking this thread and going through every page reading everyones responses I would like to know if the solution to this issue is changing the SSD on the laptop. I own the "ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71" and have disabled SMART. Now by doing so, I was able to update to the Creators Fall update but now the issue is that my fan turns on by itself at random times sounding like a damn plane which is hella annoying. So i went and re-enable the SMART after doing the Creators Fall update and what ends up happening is getting a black screen error everytime i do a cold shut down/restart. So I went and disabled the SMART again. So my question to everyone is, will changing the SSD to the "Samsung 960 Evo or Pro" finally fix this issue? I know one of the users on this thread changed their SSD to a "Toshiba XG3 Series THNSN5256GPU7" and fixed the problem. Do keep me posted everyone. If not then Ill just go ahead and do it myself and see what happens.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by majhoop View Post
    Mine also hangs after attempted 1709 update. How did you disable SMART? I have a GL551 and don't see any mention of it when I look at Bios. Also could you tell me what number your Bios is? Thanks
    You disable SMART in the BIOS which is the blue screen.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by majhoop View Post
    Mine also hangs after attempted 1709 update. How did you disable SMART? I have a GL551 and don't see any mention of it when I look at Bios. Also could you tell me what number your Bios is? Thanks
    my bios version is 201 and I disabled smart from bios > advanced. to enter bios you have to spam ESC on booting screen when ROG icon is displayed.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by SteroidsFreak View Post
    After lurking this thread and going through every page reading everyones responses I would like to know if the solution to this issue is changing the SSD on the laptop. I own the "ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71" and have disabled SMART. Now by doing so, I was able to update to the Creators Fall update but now the issue is that my fan turns on by itself at random times sounding like a damn plane which is hella annoying. So i went and re-enable the SMART after doing the Creators Fall update and what ends up happening is getting a black screen error everytime i do a cold shut down/restart. So I went and disabled the SMART again. So my question to everyone is, will changing the SSD to the "Samsung 960 Evo or Pro" finally fix this issue? I know one of the users on this thread changed their SSD to a "Toshiba XG3 Series THNSN5256GPU7" and fixed the problem. Do keep me posted everyone. If not then Ill just go ahead and do it myself and see what happens.
    my laptop also has the issue with fans working at full speed for no reason but that was before i disabled SMART so i dont think that's the cause. you should just unplug and plug in the laptop to charger every time that happens, that should help.

ROG Member Array

There is more going on than just the SSD

Just my input on this....I don't think this will solve the problem, but it will help a host of matters. I had my GL502VS back to ASUS Service Center 3 times in the last year for matters related to this update issue. They changed out the OE Samsung SSD to the Toshiba during one of the repair sessions. Each of the 3 times it was in, ASUS changed out the motherboard. One might think there is an inherent problem with the motherboard.

Just got it back 2 weeks ago. They factory reset and handed it to me with W10 1607. The W10 update was rocky as it still locks on the black opening screen when it wants to soft restart. Experimenting with doing this 3 times now....If you hard restart quickly it will recover to the old version. If you let it hang on the black screen for about 20 minutes and then hard restart then update will roll forward.

Currently on 1709 with whatever version is 2018-04 and it runs fine. My Smart is disabled. I cringe with every notification of a W10 update and assume my PC will brick again.

Rule 1) When you buy an ASUS ROG PC, buy a backup PC to use while the primary is being serviced.
    Rule 2) Never keep any data on your PC as it may brick upon the next W10 update.
    Rule 3) When you buy a PC with W10, you are automatically enrolled in the W10 beta program. Welcome to the millions of other unwilling participants.

As frustrating as this has been (a lot of downtime), ASUS has covered everything under warranty. I'll soon be out of warranty. The next round will push me to get an ACER or an MSI replacement.

ROG Enthusiast Array

You disable SMART in the BIOS which is the blue screen.
    Yes, I can get into the blue screen but where should do I look to turn of SMART? I don't find it. Thanks.

ROG Enthusiast Array

clean install?

My unit is 2016 ASUS ROG GL502vt... had the same problem. with SAMSUNG ssd as main boot drive and another HDD for storage. I opted finally for CLEAN INSTALL. works as a charm. have you tried it?

ROG Enthusiast Array

An Update. I have ASUS ROG GL502VT 16gb of ram with SAMSUNG SSD EVO as primary and another HGST for files.
    On May 1, 2018, windows update pops up. i am now running Windows 10 Home version 1803 build 17134.1

ROG Enthusiast Array

Anyone facing issue with installing 1803? I tried twice (even after disabling SMART) its just getting stuck on Asus startup logo at 15% of installation.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ajsupahiya View Post
    Anyone facing issue with installing 1803? I tried twice (even after disabling SMART) its just getting stuck on Asus startup logo at 15% of installation.

1. what are the specs of your machine?
    2. current version you are using?
    3. did you use OS migration software before?

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast