Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Angry Same

I got the same run-around, but I did reply to the email back telling me to contact MS, and instead pointed them towards this thread. Doubt it will do anything, but figured it couldn't hurt.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by poptaz3r View Post
    No, I believe there is an issue with the OEM Samsung NVMe SSD drives that come in these laptop, That is why people that only run sata drives have had no issues and why others that added SSD later have had success with the upgrade to CU. In fact, as a test I bought a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe and was able to get through the install without force shutdowns after every auto reboot during install. I have been able to restart with no issues as well. All seems normal with the 960 EVO.

Further I did a DOD wipe of the OEM NVMe part# mzvpv256hdgl-00000 (the stock SSD drive) to make sure there was no wonky data or partition hiding on there and attempted a fresh install of CU. On the first auto reboot I got the same BCD boot error.

We are possibly in need of a firmware update from Asus for these OEM SSD drives because Samsung does not support OEM drives through their Magician Software. Maybe Asus can do something with a bios update.

I am losing hope on Asus fixing this since we can't even get them to acknowledge the issue. Nothing from the Technical Inquiry I submitted on their support site 3 weeks ago or in this thread.
    Interesting...I actually got rid of the stock 1 TB HDD that came on the laptop as soon as I got it and put in my 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, but it never occurred to me that it's an issue with the smaller SSD that serves as the C drive/boot disk on the laptop.

How crazy or labor-intensive would it be to replace the stock NVMe drive that comes on the laptop for a different one? It's basically at the edge of my capabilities to replace the boot disk on the drive with a different one, but if that's what it takes, I'd upgrade that drive to a larger SSD anyway if possible and kill the Creator's Update issue all in one shot.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by TARS1111 View Post
    Interesting...I actually got rid of the stock 1 TB HDD that came on the laptop as soon as I got it and put in my 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, but it never occurred to me that it's an issue with the smaller SSD that serves as the C drive/boot disk on the laptop.

How crazy or labor-intensive would it be to replace the stock NVMe drive that comes on the laptop for a different one? It's basically at the edge of my capabilities to replace the boot disk on the drive with a different one, but if that's what it takes, I'd upgrade that drive to a larger SSD anyway if possible and kill the Creator's Update issue all in one shot.
    It should a simple install new drive and do a clean install onto it, nothing difficult.
    This seems stupid though, why would the SSD be generating an error ?
    If this seems to be a legit fix, why is it only for GL502 laptops ?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by kunalkp View Post
    It should a simple install new drive and do a clean install onto it, nothing difficult.
    This seems stupid though, why would the SSD be generating an error ?
    If this seems to be a legit fix, why is it only for GL502 laptops ?
    The more I mess with this the more I think it is a BIOS bug dealing with the power cycling on reboot. My guess is that on reboots the BIOS power cycles to quickly and causes the system to not read the NVMe drive. That is why a cold power down can reacquire the drive. This could be the result of larger capacitors on these OEM Samsung drives, but this is all just a guess. At any rate I found a workaround that has been stable for me. (below)

Ok in BIOS under advanced changing the Smart self test setting to DISABLE. This allowed the update AE>CE install to complete with no BCD fails.

Another BIOS change I made was to turn off secure boot because it was preventing me from entering recovery environment (safe mode)

So with both of these settings changed in the BIOS I am back on the stock NVMe drive and all appears stable with no reboot BCD errors.
    Last edited by poptaz3r; 05-05-2017 at 03:27 AM.

New ROGer Array

The more I mess with this the more I think it is a BIOS bug dealing with the power cycling on reboot. My guess is that on reboots the BIOS power cycles to quickly and causes the system to not read the MVMe drive. That is why a cold power down can reacquire the drive. This could be the result of larger capacitors on these OEM Samsung drives, but this is all just a guess. At any rate I found a workaround that has been stable for me. (below)

Ok in BIOS under advanced changing the Smart self test setting to DISABLE. This allowed the update AE>CE install to complete with no BCD fails.

Another BIOS change I made was to turn off secure boot because it was preventing me from entering recovery environment (safe mode)

So with both of these settings changed in the BIOS I am back on the stock NVMe drive and all appears stable with no reboot BCD errors.
    Finally!
    THANK YOU!

This works.

Again , THANK YOU!

Exclamation

The more I mess with this the more I think it is a BIOS bug dealing with the power cycling on reboot. My guess is that on reboots the BIOS power cycles to quickly and causes the system to not read the MVMe drive. That is why a cold power down can reacquire the drive. This could be the result of larger capacitors on these OEM Samsung drives, but this is all just a guess. At any rate I found a workaround that has been stable for me. (below)

great, I'm going to try it now, soon I'll be back with the result

all good here, works really nice, thanks poptaz3r for this
    Last edited by gugle; 05-05-2017 at 05:01 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks

That sounds good. Thanks.
    Just one qtn - Is it ok if I reset default settings of bios after upgrading to CU? Would it still work without any boot error?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by ajsupahiya View Post
    That sounds good. Thanks.
    Just one qtn - Is it ok if I reset default settings of bios after upgrading to CU? Would it still work without any boot error?
    The reboot BCD error returns whenever the smart self test BIOS setting is enabled. You could probably have the other setting at default but if your system is like mine you need to make the secure boot BIOS change if you ever need to get into safe mode.
    Last edited by poptaz3r; 05-05-2017 at 04:26 AM.

The more I mess with this the more I think it is a BIOS bug dealing with the power cycling on reboot. My guess is that on reboots the BIOS power cycles to quickly and causes the system to not read the NVMe drive. That is why a cold power down can reacquire the drive. This could be the result of larger capacitors on these OEM Samsung drives, but this is all just a guess. At any rate I found a workaround that has been stable for me. (below)

tested here and works great, can I turn on this options after installed the update ?
    Thanks again

ROG Enthusiast Array

I can confirm that this worked! I think the thread title should now show

[SOLVED]

Should I enable back those two settings?

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast