Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 354
  1. #151
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Valid point

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    With Microsoft, we're always in discussion with them but with Samsung I'm not sure but I did pass the feedback over to the teams responsible and have not received an update. Samsung SSDs are known to have quite a bit of compatibility issues, I feel that for this part it's better to contact Samsung support for help as the firmware update for the SSD needs to be provided by them. We don't have any other compatibility issues with other brand SSDs that I know of currently so the issue lies with them.
    Bahz, a very valid point. However, as you know this is an OEM drive from Samsung, not a retail that they support. As has been indicated in this thread, Samsung Magician does not show any firmware updates for this drive, even though there are firmware updates for the 951 family of drives (retail though). So while Samsung should help with a firmware update, ultimately it needs to come from ASUS, as that is the brand on the laptop itself and this is the drive that shipped with the laptop.

  2. #152
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    With Microsoft, we're always in discussion with them but with Samsung I'm not sure but I did pass the feedback over to the teams responsible and have not received an update. Samsung SSDs are known to have quite a bit of compatibility issues, I feel that for this part it's better to contact Samsung support for help as the firmware update for the SSD needs to be provided by them. We don't have any other compatibility issues with other brand SSDs that I know of currently so the issue lies with them.
    I'm sorry, but that is completely unacceptable. That's like purchasing a desktop PC let's say from Dell with a 3 year warranty, and when the drive has issues and requires an update within the warranty period, Dell saying "go to that manufacturer".

    You guys are very quickly destroying your brand recognition with statements like that. We're not buying your products to have a finger pointed somewhere else, when it is YOUR company that selected these OEM, non-retail drives to be integrated with YOUR products, carrying YOUR warranty. If these products have "quite a bit of compatibility issues", perhaps select different drives instead? Microsoft is literally advertising your product for the Creators Update which your product can't take, so instead of mutually working on a solution you try to blame another company.

    Stop trying to pass the buck onto someone else, fix our issues. These things aren't cheap.
    Last edited by ithorien; 08-10-2017 at 02:12 PM.

  3. #153
    Ex-employee Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    108
    Posts
    2,154

    An update: we haven't been able to replicate the issue exactly to what people on this thread have described because the test results were pass. Our teams are currently in communication with Samsung regarding to this issue.

  4. #154
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    I have an ASUS ROG GL502VY equiped with the a 256 GB "NVMe Samsung MZVPv256" SSD and a 2 TB hard drive. This is a new laptop I bought almost a month ago and I am having the issue discussed in this thread as well, where the creators update fails during the updating process after the first boot and windows starts restoring the previous version.

    I went to Asus's physical support location in my country and the only thing they did was just resetting the windows to factory settings and performing some hardware tests, nothing has changed. When I talked to the technician who worked on the laptop he just said "Sir, why do you need to update? the laptop is performing well. just wait and the update will come automatically" which shows complete unawareness/ignorance of the issue even though I demonstrated the problem in front of his eyes. After a long discussion, we ended by him saying "we can only offer hardware support, third party software issues is not our problem".

    I also contacted Microsoft's live chat support 4 times and got help from 4 different technicians, we tried various ways to install creators update including clean installation, media creation tool, USB.. All of them failed, windows started restoring previous versions after the first boot always. This was like a dead end for me, neither Asus nor Microsoft could solve the problem.

    Then I found this thread and I believe the reasons the guys stated (SSD & BIOS) are the potential reason behind the problem, however I will not disable the smart boot option in the bios, at least for a while. I will wait for some time maybe the issue will be fixed.

    This is my second Asus laptop. I really liked the first one, and I don't want this one to be the last. Please ASUS fix this problem as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Walcott269; 08-11-2017 at 09:29 AM.

  5. #155
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    municipio ENTRADA

    Quote Originally Posted by Walcott269 View Post
    I have an ASUS ROG GL502VY equiped with the a 256 GB "NVMe Samsung MZVPv256" SSD and a 2 TB hard drive. This is a new laptop I bought almost a month ago and I am having the issue discussed in this thread as well, where the creators update fails during the updating process after the first boot and windows starts restoring the previous version.

    I went to Asus's physical support location in my country and the only thing they did was just resetting the windows to factory settings and performing some hardware tests, nothing has changed. When I talked to the technician who worked on the laptop he just said "Sir, why do you need to update? the laptop is performing well. just wait and the update will come automatically" which shows complete unawareness/ignorance of the issue even though I demonstrated the problem in front of his eyes. After a long discussion, we ended by him saying "we can only offer hardware support, third party software issues is not our problem".

    I also contacted Microsoft's live chat support 4 times and got help from 4 different technicians, we tried various ways to install creators update including clean installation, media creation tool, USB.. All of them failed, windows started restoring previous versions after the first boot always. This was like a dead end for me, neither Asus nor Microsoft could solve the problem.

    Then I found this thread and I believe the reasons the guys stated (SSD & BIOS) are the potential reason behind the problem, however I will not disable the smart boot option in the bios, at least for a while. I will wait for some time maybe the issue will be fixed.

    This is my second Asus laptop. I really liked the first one, and I don't want this one to be the last. Please ASUS fix this problem as soon as possible.
    If your laptop is hopefully still within a store return period, return it and get something else. The best way to make them care is to hit them in the wallet. I wish I had that option.

  6. #156
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Bahz, to reproduce it is really easy. Take a GL502VS with the stock 256G Samsung SSD, and attempt to install the WIndows 10 Creator's Update (from April). It will pass all tests, and attempt to install. Then when the 2nd reboot occurs, it fails and Windows reverts back to the Anniversary Edition of Win10. If you then turn off SMART in the BIOS, it will take the install no problem. This is a really simple thing to reproduce, the fix I am sure is not so simple. Although it really could be, either fix the issue with firmware or a BIOS tweak, or replace everyone's SSDs with a off-the-shelf replacement. I don't understand why this is so tough for ASUS to wrap their heads around.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    An update: we haven't been able to replicate the issue exactly to what people on this thread have described because the test results were pass. Our teams are currently in communication with Samsung regarding to this issue.
    Last edited by ssbob98; 08-11-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Typo

  7. #157
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbob98 View Post
    Bahz, to reproduce it is really easy. Take a GL502VS with the stock 128G Samsung SSD, and attempt to install the WIndows 10 Creator's Update (from April). It will pass all tests, and attempt to install. Then when the 2nd reboot occurs, it fails and Windows reverts back to the Anniversary Edition of Win10. If you then turn off SMART in the BIOS, it will take the install no problem. This is a really simple thing to reproduce, the fix I am sure is not so simple. Although it really could be, either fix the issue with firmware or a BIOS tweak, or replace everyone's SSDs with a off-the-shelf replacement. I don't understand why this is so tough for ASUS to wrap their heads around.
    This also happens for the 256GB model (SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDGL, firmware version BXW7300Q).

  8. #158
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by ithorien View Post
    If your laptop is hopefully still within a store return period, return it and get something else. The best way to make them care is to hit them in the wallet. I wish I had that option.
    Unfortunately I don't think this will work, because most companies in my country allow 7 to 14 days to return goods.

    In addition to the update problem, I am not sure but I think I have another problem with the 2TB hard drive as well. It does not run steadily, instead it runs for a few seconds then it completely stops. So whenever I need to open anything stored on it, it always have to start running and I wait for a few seconds so the hard drive is fully running until the file is opened. It is more like plugging in and out an external hard drive each time you want use a file on it. Its not the first time I use a laptop or a hard drive, I know how hard drives supposed to work.

    I am doing video editing and this annoys me as hell. When I play a video, stored on the hard drive, in the video editor, it plays for about 30 seconds then stops for a few seconds for the hard drive to start spinning again and load the next part of the video.

    The thing is I am not sure what the source of the problem might be, is it a hard drive fault? or some instructions that need to be changed/updated from the windows/driver?
    Last edited by Walcott269; 08-12-2017 at 12:43 PM.

  9. #159
    Ex-employee Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    108
    Posts
    2,154

    I'm not sure the exact details of the testing but they showed results that all the tests passed and even the system was also rebooting without issues. They are working with Samsung on a solution for this issue if determined to be hardware related. I'll continue to follow up and provide updates when available.

  10. #160
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    I'm not sure the exact details of the testing but they showed results that all the tests passed and even the system was also rebooting without issues. They are working with Samsung on a solution for this issue if determined to be hardware related. I'll continue to follow up and provide updates when available.

    Bahz, I get the failure every time I reboot (my specs are earlier in the thread.) Are there log files or anything that we can provide to help you?

Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •