Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vavery View Post
    Hi everybody,
    Just to pass this into the New Year, I have a GL502VS (6700 CPU) laptop, purchased in Nov. 2016.
    Had the same update issue until, following this thread, I disabled “Smart Self Testing” in bios and managed to update without problems. I have not re-enabled it yet (not feeling courageous enough these days) so I do not know what it will happen then.
    I want to mention here that previously I tried many times (starting in September I think) to upgrade AE of Windows 10 but every time failed and returned to same version. When I contacted Asus Support, they redirected the issue to local support in my country, Greece, which as someone can expect, it’s a joke. In a few words they asked me to update all drivers and then when the issue was not solved to contact them by phone or bring the laptop for a RMA. I didn’t do it firstly because their phone support hours coincides with my working hours (Mon. to Fri. 9 to 17) and secondly I do not trust them.
    Anyhow, reading this thread until the end in hoping to find a solution, left a bitter taste in my mouth regarding the way Asus is treating it’s costumers or should I say former costumers actually, because nobody can understand or accept the lack of support on obvious issues related to expensive machines like the gl502vs.
    That’s a pitty.
    I agree...when users have to find a solution by themselves and there is a CLEAR lack of interest in fixing a problem that affects a large number of users (including myself) then it is obvious that the company only thinks about the short term money rather than trying to keep its customers. Shame on you Asus.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello guys!

Happy new year first of all. I'm also experiencing the same problem. Tried all kinds of "solutions" but none have worked, currently trying the “Smart Self Testing” option and see how it goes. This is really a shame. Spent almost $2K on this laptop.....

Anyways lets keep this post alive and see if an official solution from Asus comes (unlikely).

Keep you posted.

Rob.

New ROGer Array

I totally agree

Hi I have the same issue...
    Someone can post the asus website where we can describe the problem... I guess that more we are and more likely they are going to fix the problem... (I they did not forget about us)

Paolo

ROG Enthusiast Array

Ok guys finally managed to install the update with Smart Self Testing disabled. What's that setting anyways?

Thanks,

Rob.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by RobMachado View Post
    Ok guys finally managed to install the update with Smart Self Testing disabled. What's that setting anyways?

Thanks,

Rob.
    I was able to get 1709 loaded the same way. SMART is a harddrive or ssd health monitoring program in the firmware. It is predictive and independant of the OS. I find it helpful in getting early warning of a drive failure. It isn't bleeding edge so Asus really doesn't have a valid excuse here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ROG Member Array

Got my GL502VS back from ASUS Service Center yesterday

Sent it in to ASUS twice now under warranty for this condition. I have been without the PC for over 2 months and only owned it 6. On what planet is that considered acceptable customer service?

From the parts build, it looks like they are 'grasping at straws' to fix this. New motherboard, swapped the SSD from a Samsung to a Toshiba equivalent, replaced HDD and parts associated with the touch pad. There is some mention of stuck in suspend mode on the paperwork. The plan seems to be the old 'replace everything and hope it works' concept.

Received the PC @ W10 build 1607. It immediately went into update mode that did not go smoothly. Warm boots locked on the ROG opening screen and is unresponsive. A cold boot from there shook loose the update. Several instances of this got me to build 1709. Unstable or unreliable are the only terms I can think of now that seem to fit.

Got my canned email from Asus customer support asking how the repairs went. I'd reply it I thought anyone there cared beyond the canned apologies and empty promises to do something. They just need to check the box that I was contacted and move on to the next victim.

I will try to turn off SMART tonight (as recommended here) and see if anything improves. I am not as deeply technical as you guys.

Hi everybody,
    Just to pass this into the New Year, I have a GL502VS (6700 CPU) laptop, purchased in Nov. 2016.
    Had the same update issue until, following this thread, I disabled “Smart Self Testing” in bios and managed to update without problems. I have not re-enabled it yet (not feeling courageous enough these days) so I do not know what it will happen then.
    I want to mention here that previously I tried many times (starting in September I think) to upgrade AE of Windows 10 but every time failed and returned to same version. When I contacted Asus Support, they redirected the issue to local support in my country, Greece, which as someone can expect, it’s a joke. In a few words they asked me to update all drivers and then when the issue was not solved to contact them by phone or bring the laptop for a RMA. I didn’t do it firstly because their phone support hours coincides with my working hours (Mon. to Fri. 9 to 17) and secondly I do not trust them.
    Anyhow, reading this thread until the end in hoping to find a solution, left a bitter taste in my mouth regarding the way Asus is treating it’s costumers or should I say former costumers actually, because nobody can understand or accept the lack of support on obvious issues related to expensive machines like the gl502vs.
    That’s a pitty.
    Just an update.
    I took the risk today to reenable SMART.
    For the time being everything seems to be ok. My Win 10 version is 1709.
    Last edited by Vavery; 01-18-2018 at 02:37 PM.

ROG Member Array

Just an update.
    I took the risk today to reenable SMART.
    For the time been everything seems to be ok. My Win 10 version is 1709.
    Interesting. Keep us updated!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by fenriv View Post
    Hi everybody,
    So after some time and experiments, I also managed to upgrade to 1709 (Fall Creators).
    Previously, even setting S.M.A.R.T. off and disabling secure boot was not helping me.
    Appears to be, I had to reset to defauts and change only those two options for the workaround to actually work.
    Otherwise, having for example old CMOS mode enabled issue is still present even with workaround changes applied.

Should be noted, I don't like to have my S.M.A.R.T. disabled for obvious reasons and still waiting for firmware fix from ASUS/Samsung for our NVMe drives.

In case anyone is still not having luck with the "disable SMART" workaround, the above worked for me. First reset your bios settings to default, then restart and enter bios again, and turn off SMART. Thanks fenriv.

ROG Member Array

So I've recently used the SMART workaround to install 1709, but this resulted in my laptops keyboard not working. I think I've isolated what the problem is, there is an input driver named ASUS number pad that doesn't work on 1709. I've tried updating it using different software and device manager only to get a "this driver is not intended for this platform". Should I revert back to 1607 or is there some kind fix that anyone has in mind?

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast