Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vavery View Post
    Just an update.
    I took the risk today to reenable SMART.
    For the time being everything seems to be ok. My Win 10 version is 1709.
    Very interested to know the status of this.

ROG Member Array

Got my GL502VS back from ASUS Service Center yesterday - FOLLOWUP

An update...Previous post (I received my GL502VS back from 2 rounds of ASUS service over this issue). They replaced practically everything but the video card and plastic (the motherboard - twice).

It was a shaky update to W10 FCU - 1709, but I got there. All functional software is restored and the PC seems stable. Smart is enabled and I haven't had a bit of an issue over the past few days of use. Been pushing it really hard. Oddly, the boot up is lightning fast now. The opening ROG screen flashes for an instant and dumps right to Windows.

They may have actually fixed this, but I was down for 3 months. No mercy from ASUS on an initial warranty extension...I asked. What crappy customer service.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by RippedTester170 View Post
    An update...Previous post (I received my GL502VS back from 2 rounds of ASUS service over this issue). They replaced practically everything but the video card and plastic (the motherboard - twice).

It was a shaky update to W10 FCU - 1709, but I got there. All functional software is restored and the PC seems stable. Smart is enabled and I haven't had a bit of an issue over the past few days of use. Been pushing it really hard. Oddly, the boot up is lightning fast now. The opening ROG screen flashes for an instant and dumps right to Windows.

They may have actually fixed this, but I was down for 3 months. No mercy from ASUS on an initial warranty extension...I asked. What crappy customer service.
    Did they replace the SSD? Which SSD drive are you on now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kartvon View Post
    Very interested to know the status of this.
    So far everything is fine. I even reset bios settings to optional hoping to solve another problem with fans throttling without reason and the computer is ok. Except the fans issue, but that was there before the update or SMART disabling so I don't think it's related.

Just fyi the solution of local support team to fans issue was to... reinstall OS.
    Like I mentioned in my previous post, local (Greece) Asus support is pathetic.

ROG Member Array

The SSD change

Quote Originally Posted by landi.andrea View Post

Thanks
    The first time I sent it in to ASUS for service they swapped out the Samsung (original equipment) SSD for a Toshiba equivalent. I don't have the PC with me now, but I will get the exact model number of Toshiba SSD tonight and post here.

ROG Member Array

local (Greece) Asus support is pathetic.
    At this point it looks like all Asus support is pathetic.

New ROGer Array

So far everything is fine. I even reset bios settings to optional hoping to solve another problem with fans throttling without reason and the computer is ok.
    Are you able to get into safe mode too?cuz based on the original post of this workaround, he needs to disable secure boot too to get into safe mode without errors.

Appreciated your updates to us.

ROG Member Array

ASUS SSd Drive swap

Quote Originally Posted by landi.andrea View Post

Thanks
    It's a THNSN5256GPU7 TOSHIBA SSD drive. This the drive they installed on the first ASUS warranty service repair. I recall the original was a proprietary Samsung unit (not an EVO).

Hope that helps.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Krontab View Post
    I was able to get 1709 loaded the same way. SMART is a harddrive or ssd health monitoring program in the firmware. It is predictive and independant of the OS. I find it helpful in getting early warning of a drive failure. It isn't bleeding edge so Asus really doesn't have a valid excuse here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Just wanted to chime in here as well guys and say that I was also able to finally update after disabling SMART.

New ROGer Array

Confirming Smart As Culprit to CU Installation Problem

Thanks to all the comments out there in Microsoft Forum and Asus User Forum.

MS Chat support and Asus Support were both useless. All boils down to SMART in BIOS. This is not acceptable support for 2018. I had originally gotten the update once it came out but it wouldn't install. So frustrating to realize after all this time that the solution was so simple yet not a single pertinent reply from both company tech support.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast