Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 354
  1. #331
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    28

    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterzagard View Post
    G752 VY too here,, same problem. 1607 -> 1703 failed for months,, decided enough is enough bcs SSD lifespan matter,, clean installed to 1709.

    1709 to 1803 the same problem happening all over again,, the exact.damn.problem,, another clean install is not something that i will do anymore tho, i will just defer the feature update for as long as i can and maybe buy a sata hdd to clone so i can do in place update and then re-clone
    That is indeed strange. A CLEANER version of windows shouldnt have any problems installing to 1803. by clean install do you mean this, (see pic)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean install.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	73867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean install.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	73867

  2. #332
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    I'm glad some people have had success with clean installs in past updates, and even with the current 1809 update.

    However, I'm not convinced that's addresses the real source of the issue for two reasons:

    1. If the Windows installation already on the laptop was the problem, there's no reason why ASUS would go through the expense and effort to replace the stock Samsung SSDs with new Toshiba SSDs on laptops sent in with this problem (as mentioned in this thread multiple times). A clean install can be done by the user at home, no RMA required.
    2. Past updates have not required me or the majority of people in this thread to do a clean install. It was tweaking the BIOS boot settings that allowed the update to go through. Those solutions should not have worked if the Windows installation/Uupdate itself was the problem.

    Users shouldn't have to do a clean install of W10 just to get their OS updated. That's just silly, so I'm hoping a better solution can be found, just like it was a while back in this very thread for past W10 update problems.

  3. #333
    ROG Member Array Vavery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecolor_bros View Post
    Dear Brothers,

    I am a user of GL502VS-DB71.
    The Insider Program started updating 1803, but it could not be installed simply by disabling Smart setting.
    The laptop stopped on the boot screen as usual.
    I got angry like a fire, and I could installed it when I disabled all the functions of the BIOS as much as possible.
    I hope that this information will be useful to someone.
    That's true.
    SMART disabling does not seems to work on latest Spring Creators Update 1803.
    I think I will just defer the updates from now on.

  4. #334
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    28

    Quote Originally Posted by Vavery View Post
    That's true.
    SMART disabling does not seems to work on latest Spring Creators Update 1803.
    I think I will just defer the updates from now on.
    have you tried posting your problem at answers.microsoft.com or at social.technet.microsoft.com ? both of these are official microsoft forums for w10 users. I have tried all troubleshooting steps. Only a CLEAN install works for me. from 1607 to 1709 (clean install). Upgrading to 1803 via windows update went on smoothly.

  5. #335
    ROG Member Array Vavery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by kingKAI View Post
    have you tried posting your problem at answers.microsoft.com or at social.technet.microsoft.com ? both of these are official microsoft forums for w10 users. I have tried all troubleshooting steps. Only a CLEAN install works for me. from 1607 to 1709 (clean install). Upgrading to 1803 via windows update went on smoothly.
    Just a question. You stil use the original NVMe Samsung SM951 MZVPV... wich came with the laptop or you have change it. Mine is the original one and it uses Microsoft drivers. It seems to me that the issue is somewere there so I intent to change it for a 960 EVO which has better support from Samsung.
    If somebody here has done it already I would appreciate sharing the experience and results.

  6. #336
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    28

    Quote Originally Posted by Vavery View Post
    Just a question. You stil use the original NVMe Samsung SM951 MZVPV... wich came with the laptop or you have change it. Mine is the original one and it uses Microsoft drivers. It seems to me that the issue is somewere there so I intent to change it for a 960 EVO which has better support from Samsung.
    If somebody here has done it already I would appreciate sharing the experience and results.

    My ASUS ROG GL502VT 2016 came with a 1 TB HDD. i had to buy a NEW samsung EVO SSD. Ive used PARAGON software to migrate my OS from HDD to SSD. according to some forum gurus at answers.microsoft.com, this could have been the caused especially for a major upgrade. (1703 ot 1709). Per se, microsoft dont like having the PARENT OS present when upgrading. The OS gets confused on start up. Anyway had no problem on regular 1607 updates EXCEPT on 1703 or 1709. Thus I did the ff:

    1. save personal files from HDD
    2. remove HDD
    3. CLEAN INSTALLED using a USB boot. (deleted all partitions in my SSD)
    4. Viola, running on 1709.
    5. After, I reformatted my HDD. and installed in back again.
    6. MAy 1, 1803 pops out. No issues or problems on upgrading from 1709 to 1803.

    Btw, i have tried all microsoft tips and tricks on windows update trouble shooting. doesnt work. seems the cause was my PARENT OS at HDD.

    hope this helps
    Last edited by kingKAI; 05-22-2018 at 09:35 AM.

  7. #337
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by kingKAI View Post
    That is indeed strange. A CLEANER version of windows shouldnt have any problems installing to 1803. by clean install do you mean this, (see pic)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean install.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	73867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean install.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	73867
    Yes, clean as can be. The problem is well known tho, its the buggy AHCI controller on the laptop itself for NVMe. My clean install was on AHCI mode instead of RAID. Apparently, had i clean installed it as RAID, there wont be anymore problem. The method of changing AHCI <-> RAID without clean install failed for me so far, so my only chance for a more permanent solution now is to once again clean install with RAID mode, or just settle with the "clone to sata, update, clone it back to nvme" routine.

  8. #338
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    19

    I have a GL502VS with original hardware. I was able to update to 1803 successfully by following the method of turning the laptop off at every restart during the installation process. I also used the upgrade tool rather than doing it through Windows Update, not sure if that had any part in the success. I had already tried disabling SMART Self Test and Secure Boot in BIOS with no success. I don't seem to have any issues with restarting as was reported by others previously in this thread.

    Real bummer that ASUS is not pushing an SSD firmware update or a new BIOS update to prevent this issue. Very bad product support. They are also dropping the ball with other ASUS products I use, like the Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard. No BIOS update in ages and there are some annoying issues there that are easily fixable. Very unlikely to buy anything from ASUS ever again.

    Edit: Well, I feel stupid. ASUS actually updated the Z10PE-D16 WS BIOS just a few days ago. Should have checked before complaining. But it did take AGES to push that microcode update.
    Last edited by msymeonides; 05-29-2018 at 09:56 PM.

  9. #339
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by msymeonides View Post
    I have a GL502VS with original hardware. I was able to update to 1803 successfully by following the method of turning the laptop off at every restart during the installation process. I also used the upgrade tool rather than doing it through Windows Update, not sure if that had any part in the success. I had already tried disabling SMART Self Test and Secure Boot in BIOS with no success. I don't seem to have any issues with restarting as was reported by others previously in this thread.

    Real bummer that ASUS is not pushing an SSD firmware update or a new BIOS update to prevent this issue. Very bad product support. They are also dropping the ball with other ASUS products I use, like the Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard. No BIOS update in ages and there are some annoying issues there that are easily fixable. Very unlikely to buy anything from ASUS ever again.
    Could you please elaborate?
    As in how did you turn it off .. Is it like before it could reach the Asus logo on restart you pressed power button? Press and hold or simple press?

  10. #340
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    19

    Quote Originally Posted by ajsupahiya View Post
    Could you please elaborate?
    As in how did you turn it off .. Is it like before it could reach the Asus logo on restart you pressed power button? Press and hold or simple press?
    Sure. Every time I saw that the laptop was about to restart (you can tell because the screen goes blank and the keyboard backlight flickers off and on) I long-pressed the power button until the laptop powered off. I waited 5 seconds, and powered it back on, and it automatically progressed through the rest of the installation. Eventually I got back into the OS and it was updated successfully.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •