Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by msymeonides View Post
    Sure. Every time I saw that the laptop was about to restart (you can tell because the screen goes blank and the keyboard backlight flickers off and on) I long-pressed the power button until the laptop powered off. I waited 5 seconds, and powered it back on, and it automatically progressed through the rest of the installation. Eventually I got back into the OS and it was updated successfully.
    Will give it a go.
    And about the BIOS update, how did you installed it?

EDIT: Tried it a few times but nothing
    Last edited by BlackOrchid; 06-02-2018 at 08:04 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by msymeonides View Post
    Sure. Every time I saw that the laptop was about to restart (you can tell because the screen goes blank and the keyboard backlight flickers off and on) I long-pressed the power button until the laptop powered off. I waited 5 seconds, and powered it back on, and it automatically progressed through the rest of the installation. Eventually I got back into the OS and it was updated successfully.
    Signed up just to say that this method worked for me (also while using the update tool). Thanks msymeonides.

New ROGer Array

Sol

I was finally able to upgrade to 1803 through a bit of everything in this thread, and finally just gave in and did a Complete wipe/Fresh install via USB by way of MCT. Now my keyboard and touchpad don't work. I'm stuck using an external keyboard and mouse for now. Newest BIOS, ATK, Intel drivers. Touchpad driver is the only thing that doesn't install. The installer gets about 90% done then I receive a "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor" error.

Asus support says I'm more or less SOL because I am out of warranty and will have to send it in for a diagnostic fee and cost of repair (estimated $400+)

New ROGer Array

Forgot to mention that ever since the update, the touchpad stops working after a reboot or coming back from hibernate... I have to disable and enable the device in Device Manager every time to get it working again.

ROG Member Array

Still haven't been able to get this installed. I tried the "disable VT-D in BIOS" technique that I've seen around various sites and it got way further than I've been able to get before, but eventually hung and reverted after restart.

ROG Junior Member Array

Hey all, so after struggling with this issue for quite a while, I managed to get it fixed with Microsoft's support. I'm graduating and got almost my entire project locally on my laptop, so fresh install wasn't an option for me. I contacted them, and did a chat with remote control, they changed some stuff in the registry (after a few failed installations i.e. This thread) and after the changes they made, downloaded the windows 10 iso and installed it with "keep all files and apps" option. I'm on the new update now. Hope this will help someone.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOrchid View Post
    Hey all, so after struggling with this issue for quite a while, I managed to get it fixed with Microsoft's support. I'm graduating and got almost my entire project locally on my laptop, so fresh install wasn't an option for me. I contacted them, and did a chat with remote control, they changed some stuff in the registry (after a few failed installations i.e. This thread) and after the changes they made, downloaded the windows 10 iso and installed it with "keep all files and apps" option. I'm on the new update now. Hope this will help someone.
    Glad to hear it worked for you.

Did they provide you any details of what they changed in the registry?

Or even how you contacted them specifically (what email/number/webpage to contact them through)? And when you did talk to them, how did you convince them to do the remote desktop session considering this isn't a new laptop within warranty?

I'm really tempted to go this option since I'm tired of the installs failing and Windows trying to reinstall it every few days just to have it fail again.

Thanks!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by totoguy View Post
    Signed up just to say that this method worked for me (also while using the update tool). Thanks msymeonides.
    I second that! And signed up for the same reason. After couple of months of depression and despair I found this post and managed to update with turn off method. Thanks guys, you're awesome! G752VS

ROG Member Array

Update:

I was able to install 1803 by doing the following:

1. Using the Windows Update Upgrade Tool (not Windows Update on the OS itself). Downloaded the update, let it restart.
    2. My computer restarted three separate times (keyboard flashes and the screen goes black, before the ROG logo appears). EACH TIME this happened, I would manually tap the power button to turn off the computer, just for 2-3 seconds each time, and then pressed it again. That allowed the power to cycle on each restart so the update process wouldn't get interrupted and get stuck.

Doing this allows the ROG logo to appear and the spinner to appear after a few seconds, with the Windows Update percentage screen to keep showing up.

This way I didn't have to do a clean install, create installation media, etc.

The only problem is that now the RealTek audio bus isn't even being detected/working correctly, even if I uninstall the device or reinstall using the RealTek drivers. So I have to figure out how to use audio since that's a huge deal.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by TARS1111 View Post
    Update:

I was able to install 1803 by doing the following:

1. Using the Windows Update Upgrade Tool (not Windows Update on the OS itself). Downloaded the update, let it restart.
    2. My computer restarted three separate times (keyboard flashes and the screen goes black, before the ROG logo appears). EACH TIME this happened, I would manually tap the power button to turn off the computer, just for 2-3 seconds each time, and then pressed it again. That allowed the power to cycle on each restart so the update process wouldn't get interrupted and get stuck.

Doing this allows the ROG logo to appear and the spinner to appear after a few seconds, with the Windows Update percentage screen to keep showing up.

This way I didn't have to do a clean install, create installation media, etc.

The only problem is that now the RealTek audio bus isn't even being detected/working correctly, even if I uninstall the device or reinstall using the RealTek drivers. So I have to figure out how to use audio since that's a huge deal.

I had the same issue when installing,laptop would restart and nothing would happen, I would power it off/on then it would work after, did this 2 times I think.

Installed from an USB stick ,used windows media creation tool.

No other issues.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast