cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1070 Rog Strix overheating problems!(?)

Feels123
Level 7
So, ive had this card for about 3 months, awesome, not a problem. That was until yesterday. I got my cards Leds set to temperature and in all these months ive had this card ive never seen any color other than green/light green. Yesterday I saw RED, bright Red and it scared the **** out of me lol. Greens are like 30-45 degrees. Red is 80 so you can imagine my reaction when I saw my whole case lighting red. I was playing Playerunknowns Battlegrounds (amazing game btw) and I got about 90h in the game so far but only yesterday did it overheat my graphics card. Now to make sure it wasnt the games fault somehow I ran Witcher 3, same problem. Card heated up to 80 degrees real fast, literally 40 secs after launching the game. Then I tried Battlefield 1, max temp was 77 and stable 75. Now you can tell me these might even be ok temps but thing is, im not used to them so theres clearly a problem since my card never hit these temps before. I checked and the 3 fans are working fine and so are every other fan in the case. I also used to idle at like 30 degrees, now its 47-48. So since yesterday my card clearly gained 18 degrees somehow. Maybe its been lifting. I tried thightning the cards screws and even checked for dust. Theres not much at all but I will try cleaning it thoroughly. I could RMA but I really dont wanna be like a week without my baby, I really hope this is a problem I can fix. Thanks and sorry for the long read.
36 REPLIES 36

Bahz
Level 12
Can you check to see if the fans are spinning up? You can also try using GPU Tweak II to check if the fans are operating normally and you can also set the fan curve manually to see if it makes a difference. From the information provided I'm thinking that you may have a defective unit where the shroud has shorted one or both of the fans causing the fans to note operate normally. This is issue has been confirmed to occur to a very low volume of cards in earlier batches.

Feels123
Level 7
Like I said in the post... I did confirm all 3 fans are spinning correctly. Now I dont know about gpu tweak II much. Not really experienced in this stuff

Nate152
Hi Feels123

Install GPU Tweak II 1.4.4.8, you can set a fan curve or crank the fans to 100% before starting your game, this will reduce temps significantly.

Try and keep your temp below 70c, once it hits 70c it will start to throttle. My ROG Strix 1070 runs anywhere from 60c - 65c.

Select your operating system and utilities.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Here's a guide to overclock your ROG Strix 1070 and how to set a fan curve.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Feels123

Install GPU Tweak II 1.4.4.8, you can set a fan curve or crank the fans to 100% before starting your game, this will reduce temps significantly.

Try and keep your temp below 70c, once it hits 70c it will start to throttle. My ROG Strix 1070 runs anywhere from 60c - 65c.

Select your operating system and utilities.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Here's a guide to overclock your ROG Strix 1070 and how to set a fan curve.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide

I already have this version. Is it ok to run the fans at 100% ? Wont that wear them down quicker? Its weird cus now my card is back at 30 degrees idle.. Yesterday it didnt get any lower than 44... What do you think is going on. Also, Nate, I see you have the exact same card I got so I hope I can explain this well enough. When you turn your computer on you can hear the graphics card starting up with the fans turning on as soon as you turn on your computer.. When I first bought my card the fans would just quickly start up and run for about 2 seconds tops and shut off. Now they stay on for around 10-15 seconds which ive noticed. Can this be related to my overheating issues?

Nate152
No, I have my fan curve set so the fans are off until the temp hits 60c then I have them kick on at 100%.

Running your fans at 100% won't wear them out.

Are temps below 70c when playing games ?

Nate152 wrote:
No, I have my fan curve set so the fans are off until the temp hits 60c then I have them kick on at 100%.

Running your fans at 100% won't wear them out.

Are temps below 70c when playing games ?

Depends on the game. Dota 2 yea stays well below 60 even. PUBG takes it way over 70. Mostly 75-77 but hits 80 at some points.

Nate152
Crank the fans to 100% in GPU Tweak II then start up PUBG and see what temp gets too, it should stay around 60c -65c.

Nate152 wrote:
Crank the fans to 100% in GPU Tweak II then start up PUBG and see what temp gets too, it should stay around 60c -65c.

Ill try that!

Chino
Level 15