cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC 7700K, IX Apex, DDR4 4266 Mhz, Worse performance when gaming than 3770K

MeTaL_SnAkE
Level 7
Hello, So yesterday I've got new parts for my PC (MB: Asus Maximus IX Apex, RAM: G.Skill Trident Z - DDR4 4266Mhz, CPU: Intel 7700K CPU) .
Just for the record - My previous built was Maximus V Extreme with 3770K CPU and DDR3 1600 Mhz.
My CPU cooling is liquid cooling Nzxt Kraken X61, Used on previous and current built.

I have several problems, Not only with worse performance when gaming. So i'll try to say all of them and will thank for the helpers.

I've connected my ssd with windows 10 installed on it with, Taken from the previous PC, Not expecting it to boot (because of the difference of hardware and such) , But it did boot. I've uninstalled anything related to the previous built pc and installed all the latest stuff for the IX Apex from the Asus website.

Now, When I'm trying to overclock the PC at BIOS (I've installed the latest bios 0906) And saving the settings - The PC resets but dosent shutdown (What it normally should do when changing voltages and that kind of stuff) And I just see black screen , Screen says not signle and pc dosent restarts / shutdowns. Nothing happens.
So that's one problem. Could it be my MB / Bios are bad? The problem occurred also without updating the bios.

Now, Second thing is that games perform now even worst. For Example, On the Witcher 3 I would usually get 80-90 fps+ , Now i'm getting 60 and below.. Same with DOOM, Used to get more fps, Now I get less. I've checked if the graphics card (GTX 1080 FTW) works on X16 on GPU-Z - It does. Also I've placed the graphics card on the first PCIE Lane.

At first when I checked Nvidia control panel - I've seen the settings from some reason was on 4K Scaling, canceld that to default optimized settings - Not helping with games either. Also i've checked ofcourse the settings in game that everything as it should be (Full HD, Without V-sync on) , And checked that also in Nvidia control panel. Nothing helps.

On bios i've also set my Dispaly to PEG (Graphics card as main) and Gen3.

As bios manual OC dosen't works because of the problem i've mentioned earlier, The Asus AI Suite 3 let's me automaticlly OC, So now my CPU is OC to 5.2 Ghz and something like 2800 Mhz Ram, Dosen't seems to help with games either.

Computer on general use when inside windows seems to work pretty fast without any faulties..

I'm really lost at the moment and don't know what to do.. I'd be gald to get some help. Maybe i'm missing something.

P.S: Cpu / Graphics card dosen't get's overheated and pretty stable on temperatures, CPU temp's reachs maximum 60+ celcius, usually around between 40-60 when inside games. Graphics card on between 45-55 celcius.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Most of the modern games are GPU intensive so upgrading to a faster CPU and RAM doesn't have a noticeable impact on gaming performance in most situations. With that said, you shouldn't be getting less FPS than your previous build. That's for sure.

I always think that upgrading to a new platform warrants a fresh installation of Windows.

Chino wrote:
Most of the modern games are GPU intensive so upgrading to a faster CPU and RAM doesn't have a noticeable impact on gaming performance in most situations. With that said, you shouldn't be getting less FPS than your previous build. That's for sure.

I always think that upgrading to a new platform warrants a fresh installation of Windows.

I was thinking about fresh windows installation also..

What about the bios problem with the fact when I try to manual OC it dosen't post? 😐

MeTaL_SnAkE wrote:
I was thinking about fresh windows installation also..

What about the bios problem with the fact when I try to manual OC it dosen't post? 😐

It depends on what settings you're playing with. Are you OCing your CPU with RAM at default or 4266MHz?

Nate152
I'd reinstall windows as Chino suggests, after doing this then see how overclocking goes.

sk2play
Level 13
Auto set everything in the BIOS as far as CPU/RAM, perform CUSTOM Fresh (CLEAN) Install of Nvidia Drivers, reboot and benchmark results.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit