ROG Enthusiast Array

Need to Tweak the BIOS?

So in my X58 years I was always tweaking the BIOS to improve performance here and there and I saw good results. But as these years have past and the newer boards have come in to our grubby hands and I just wonder for the non-overclocker if the default "Auto" settings are just as good as the tweaking of years past. For example, in the PCH Configuration the area about the PCIe config is set to "Auto" but should one set it to Gen3? CPU C-States set to "Auto" or better to set it to "Enabled".

Is just leaving the settings to "Auto" just as good in performance, reliability, etc. as setting particular settings like Gen3 and what not. Or do you see a significant increased result from setting each setting that it IS worth going in and tweaking the UEFI? Again this is for the non-overclocker. I just ask because it seems that things have improved so much. Windows 7 on an SSD you had to do some tweaking like turning off defrag. But Windows 8.1 and now 10 Windows knows not to defrag the SSD, but now it does TRIM instead.

Just wondering
    [Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi Denaba

Depending on your gpu you might see a small increase in performance with pcie or peg set to GEN 3.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,7.html

Most things in the bios you can let on auto but one thing I would set manually is the cpu core/cache voltage, with it on auto your cpu is likely getting overvolted which is creating unnecessary heat.

If you're running the cpu core/cache voltage in adaptive mode let C-States on auto or enabled, if in manual mode disable C-States. In adaptive mode the cpu voltage will throttle down when the cpu is at idle.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AKBAAR PC Specs
    AKBAAR PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Impact VIII
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)TridentZ 3200C14 - 32GTZ 32GB
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    MonitorDELL U3014
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i GT
    CaseCorsair 250D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760i
    Keyboard Corsair k70-rgb
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 100
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC5300

Quote Originally Posted by Denaba View Post
    So in my X58 years I was always tweaking the BIOS to improve performance here and there and I saw good results. But as these years have past and the newer boards have come in to our grubby hands and I just wonder for the non-overclocker if the default "Auto" settings are just as good as the tweaking of years past. For example, in the PCH Configuration the area about the PCIe config is set to "Auto" but should one set it to Gen3? CPU C-States set to "Auto" or better to set it to "Enabled".

Is just leaving the settings to "Auto" just as good in performance, reliability, etc. as setting particular settings like Gen3 and what not. Or do you see a significant increased result from setting each setting that it IS worth going in and tweaking the UEFI? Again this is for the non-overclocker. I just ask because it seems that things have improved so much. Windows 7 on an SSD you had to do some tweaking like turning off defrag. But Windows 8.1 and now 10 Windows knows not to defrag the SSD, but now it does TRIM instead.

Just wondering
    Easy AMI UEFI BIOS Modding:Use of the "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU)
    http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool...-quot-UBU.html

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks for the replies. Winraid is a must read place for anyone. Great info.
    [Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]