cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Socket temperatures overly high?

MatrixJ21
Level 7
I tried overclocking my R7 1700 to 3.5GHz at 1.3v and while running AIDA system stability test, my CPU socket temperatures as reported by HWInfo-3130 were reaching very high temperatures (95c+), but my CPU temperature is reported as never going over 45c. Can someone explain this discrepancy as it's stopping me overclocking at all for risk of damaging my hardware.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

MatrixJ21
Level 7
I tried reseating the CPU and reapplying new thermal paste with the same cooler and now after running AIDA stability test a while my temps started reporting as -70c and -109c!

Someone must know what's going on with this?!

I wouldn't say that any software is fully compatible with Ryzen yet, bugs still exists. While they test and optimise it for new motherboards I would just 'trust' that it's all good if the CPU temp is within reasonable margins (remember 20*C offset on 1800x amd 1700x - it's reported by some software). I found a lot of it still buggy especially when resetting min-max etc.

MeanMachine
Level 13
MatrixJ21 wrote:
I tried overclocking my R7 1700 to 3.5GHz at 1.3v and while running AIDA system stability test, my CPU socket temperatures as reported by HWInfo-3130 were reaching very high temperatures (95c+), but my CPU temperature is reported as never going over 45c. Can someone explain this discrepancy as it's stopping me overclocking at all for risk of damaging my hardware.

Thanks!

Wow! yes your temps are thru the roof and the Wraith Spire is not doing it's job or your TIM is letting you down.

I also am using HWInfo 5.5-3130 and sensors on the CPU (Tdie) readings are correct. My temperature probe matches it's findings.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

gupsterg
Level 13
Matrixj21

Martin Malik is superb and swift on support of his app, even if freeware the support he gives is far better than paid apps 😉 . There were plenty of "quirks" on past HWiNFO builds for use with C6H, but he has resolved a lot of them from a) data passed from users b) liaising with Asus.

I would contact him, via the debug mode/file he maybe able to tell you if it "erroneous" reads or not. His forum, his support thread on OCN and finally this thread. I and others posted fair amount of data in the OCN C6H thread from HWiNFO and as said before Martin was swift to act.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Korth
Level 14
Intel is the exclusive designer of Intel CPUs and the exclusive owner/operator/user of Intel silicon fabs. Intel's on-die Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) and Platform Environmental Control Interface (PECI) use numerous Intel-patented technologies (like these) which are unavailable to anyone else. Intel maintains the lead through an aggressive synergy of research and engineering (and marketing). Intel has essentially enjoyed (and milked) a dominant monopoly on x86/x64 tech for years while the competition has lagged woefully behind (until the launch of AMD Ryzen, anyhow, lol).

AMD is just design. They rely entirely on Samsung and GlobalFoundries (and perhaps TSMC) for fab. Each of them has a lot of innovative proprietary tricks and patents of their own, but I think the sad reality is that they currently suffer great deficiencies in some areas (like on-die thermal monitoring sensors/circuits) when compared vs Intel. My understanding is that the Intel sensors are smaller and more accurate and more responsive and better integrated (embedded "within" active circuitry) than their AMD/Samsung/etc counterparts (which are more like add-ons mounted "nearby" the circuitry).

And of course, in the end, we see whatever the firmware and software tells us. Mobo makers are eagerly embracing AM4. OS makers are eagerly embracing Ryzen SDKs. Game makers are even shifting from DirectX to Vulkan. But it will take time before everybody learns how to attain proper compatibility with AMD code, how to optimize for it, how (for companies like ROG!) to innovate and improve on it. Until that time we all have to accept whatever kludged workarounds we've been given, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

gupsterg
Level 13
Agree with a lot you say there.

I do a lot of f@h, etc. I have 0 issues on SW sensor reads. All the temps the OP has highlighted are from Super IO Chip. IMO some users experience these error'd reads more often than others. Recently a member using a beta bios which contained a Asus EC FW update seemed to "help" him out with a lot of the "quirky" reads he was getting. So perhaps when the next official release is available if it contains an update to EC it may solve his issue.

It could well be OP has "iffy" thermistor.

Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Decoman
Level 7
I have an 1800x and because I am using an "experimental" build with a passive cpu cooler (plus some fans for moving air inside the case), and I seem to have my computer shut down automatically when cpu socket temp are between 73-75 deg C.

How come OP has his machine staying on to show 95 deg C? Why isn't his machine shutting down? Why is my computer shutting down with measly 70'ish degrees for cpu socket and having even lower temps on the other cpu temps?

I had "sense skew" enabled, and with 272 value set..
I checked the following just now in the bios (bios 1002). If I disable "sense skew" and set value to auto..
The following temps in HWinfo64 are changed: Tctrl temp, Tdie temp (both increase by 20 deg) The temp in bios also rise by 20 deg.
The following temps are not changed: motherboard temp, cpu socket temp

Then when I re-enable "sense skew" in bios and set the value to 272, the two temps mentioned first, are lowered by 20 deg C.