cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Randomly Shutting Down

LittleRain
Level 7
I built my PC about 6 months ago, and since the start its been randomly shutting down, kind of like the powers been cut.

I have water cooled CPU and GPU, my specs are bellow, and I would like to note I have not overclocked anything.

I thought it might be power from the wall so I put it on a separate outlet, nodda, bought a battery backup and it happened even more.

Sometimes it wont happen for a couple months, but its happened 7 times in the last 3 days.
Its my work computer and I really cant afford the down time.

Everything is starting to lead to the motherboard, what do I do?

Here is my Windows Event Viewer Log. It is showing Errors coming from the mother board right around shutdown. Shutdown error is Event ID 6008.

http://www.littleraingames.com/ImagesForOffsite/Files/Event Viewer Shutdown Errors.evtx

CPU - i7-6850k
Ram - 32GB
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080 Water force
Motherboard - Rampage V Extreme
PSU - 1000watt EVGA
13 REPLIES 13

LittleRain
Level 7
Sorry for double post, but I have some new info that people who might have read already will probably know.

When I go to "msinfo32" from using Run, my bios said its Legacy Version. Could that be the issue?

I read somewhere that when you install your OS you have to decide which you use?

So how can I change it, do I have to reinstall my OS?

Many of the 3000 series bios's/machines have random reboot issues. If you have not done so already try updating to the latest bios 3504 to fix the issue. Is it a random shutdown or a random reboot?

You may also try manually setting System Agent (SA) to 1.1v and CPU VCCIO 1.05v to 1.05v. If your Ram is over 3000XMP you might even need more than that. Check these readings in the bios. Are they reading around .9900V ? If so, try raising.

If one of these three things does not fix, then you might have a HW/PSU problem.

LittleRain wrote:
Sorry for double post, but I have some new info that people who might have read already will probably know.

When I go to "msinfo32" from using Run, my bios said its Legacy Version. Could that be the issue?

I read somewhere that when you install your OS you have to decide which you use?

So how can I change it, do I have to reinstall my OS?

Yep. The "Legacy" you see in MSInfo32 means that you did NOT install your OS in UEFI mode. One of the advantages of installing the OS in UEFI mode is that it has better hardware integration. See "RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide" 6).
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Chino
Level 15

It is a random shutdown, like just turns off immediately with not warning.

How do I find out if my RAM is over 3000XMP, what is XMP?

I have actually contacted EVGA about getting a new PSU, because when I initially googled my problem I thought that was the case, they said I had to diagnose it before they will send me a new one, and the event viewer is giving me reasons to believe that its the mother board.

And Chino, how do I know if I'm not using default, I never changed any settings on the RAM so wouldn't it be default?

Here is the RAM I have.
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11181103063&vpn=CMK32GX4M4A2666C16&manufacture=CORSAIR

LittleRain wrote:

I have actually contacted EVGA about getting a new PSU, because when I initially googled my problem I thought that was the case, they said I had to diagnose it before they will send me a new one, and the event viewer is giving me reasons to believe that its the mother board.

And Chino, how do I know if I'm not using default, I never changed any settings on the RAM so wouldn't it be default?

Here is the RAM I have.
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11181103063&vpn=CMK32GX4M4A2666C16&manufacture=CORSAIR

XMP is Extreme Memory Profile. It's supposed to automatically set the speed and timings of your memory to give you their rated speeds. On these boards a few other adjustments seem to be required to get them running at speeds over 2400Mhz. As another user said you gotta adjust the "System Agent" and CPU VCCIO as another user suggested. Chino has a good guide on adjusting your RAM settings.*

Do you have your PC overclocked at all?

Did you try updating the BIOS?

I have that same kit of RAM and it's running fine at 2400Mhz. I couldn't get it stable at it's rated 2666Mhz and haven't had the time to try. I'm using the Rampage V Edition 10. *

LittleRain wrote:

Here is the RAM I have.

Clear your CMOS and use your system at stock defaults. Report back your results.

I am using stock default.

And what is CMOS? I just looked it up and it looks like its for handling Date and Time, so like stuff when the computer isn't running? Am I even close?
How would I go about clearing it?

I updated my BIOS, even though it said it was up to date. It hasn't happened yet, but it could start happening again in a month like it has many of times.

LittleRain wrote:
I am using stock default.

Without XMP?

As for clearing the CMOS, you can use the button on the back of the motherboard.