cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 order of installation

grassy
Level 12
Hey Guys, just a question on *setting up after windows is installed.Do some off you connect to the internet first and then put your motherboard cd in or vise versa.What do you guys find is nessassary to install and what is not in order to have a trouble free system and a reliable gaming rig.Some people only install the minimum requirements and some people install a lot of software.Do you guys think to much software for gaming is an overkill.
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi grassy!

I'm a minimalist myself...before a clean install I get LAN, Chipset and MEI drivers as well as sound and video on a pendrive...i don't connect internet until I have those installed...one by one with restart...so windows doesn't start downloading and installing stuff...

I don't really install anything else...no ai suite no corsair link type progs etc

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi grassy!

I'm a minimalist myself...before a clean install I get LAN, Chipset and MEI drivers as well as sound and video on a pendrive...i don't connect internet until I have those installed...one by one with restart...so windows doesn't start downloading and installing stuff...

I don't really install anything else...no ai suite no corsair link type progs etc
When I install my drivers I only install physx and the main driver.I don't really use software that comes with hardware unless nessassary as I believe too much software can conflict with other stuff on the rig sometimes. I completed a small build for my daughter and as soon as I connected to the net it installed a graphics driver and when I started to do updates things were going wrong and the computer froze.Sometimes less means more.I have to remember to go into my windows settings before I connect to the internet and disable automatic updates.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Before all else
Chipset drivers
Management engine interface

Then latest graphics and sound followed by the rest of need drivers.

I dont use the CD as 99.99% of the time the drivers on it are outdated. Before the install I go to mobo support page then vendor pages and get the latest of everything.

Too much software? Didnt realize there was such a thing. If you mean drivers you are either using what the hardware vendor supplies or windows default. Some default drivers work fine, as in NVMe, and there is no advantage to using the vendors drivers.

Its really about personal preference.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Before all else
Chipset drivers
Management engine interface

Then latest graphics and sound followed by the rest of need drivers.

I dont use the CD as 99.99% of the time the drivers on it are outdated. Before the install I go to mobo support page then vendor pages and get the latest of everything.

Too much software? Didnt realize there was such a thing. If you mean drivers you are either using what the hardware vendor supplies or windows default. Some default drivers work fine, as in NVMe, and there is no advantage to using the vendors drivers.

Its really about personal preference.
Hey Justin, thanks for your reply mate.I think there can be such thing as too much software as I have come into problems before with software that creates freezing problems on my system not to mention other people's problems.Off late I believe that when finishing a build and having a fresh and successful install of windows,a sensible order off installing everything is important.I know I have made a few mistakes and it makes me wonder,if the order off installation had anything to do with it. Just a question,when you go to the motherboard support page what do you look for to download.