cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect PWM case fan hub using ASUS Strix Z270E

Epictobias
Level 7
Hi lovely community,

i`m now a proud owner of the ASUS Strix Z270E in combination with a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass (PWN fan hub already included) and have a simple question, so don`t laugh:

Where to connect the CPU fan (Cryorig H5 Ultimate) and PWM hub (3 Phanteks 140mm PWM fans connected to it)?

At the moment i do use CPU_OPT for the Cryorig CPU fan cooler and CPU_FAN for the PWM hub. It`s right? I`m asking because AI Suite 3 is telling me every time that i changed the fans and wants to calibrate again.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

FuryA
Level 8
hi Epic , welecom

hi Epic , welcome
An advice Connect PWM fan hub to chassis fan, would be better
You can try connect the Cryorig H5 Ultimate' with two fans connect the pwm fan splitter to CPU_Fan / OPT

Thanks for the fast answer.

The Cryorig has only 1 fan, so i should connect it to CPU_FAN, right?

The CHA_FAN1 has enough power for the hub (3 fans connected to hub)?

Epictobias wrote:
The CHA_FAN1 has enough power for the hub (3 fans connected to hub)?

Can`t find any information belonging that ...

Epictobias wrote:
Can`t find any information belonging that ...

hi Epic,

The Fan connector is maximum of 1A and 12W,
It means really enough power

Chino
Level 15
Also check the HUB that you're planning to buy. Some HUBs get their own power from a SATA/molex cable so you don't have to worry about pulling too much current from the fan header.

As written i already own the HUB, because it was included when i bought the case.

The HUB has the option to use an SATA power cable, but PWM control isn`t possible if i use it.

I did know the CPU_FAN has 1A, but i was worried about the CHA_FAN1.

Epictobias wrote:
As written i already own the HUB, because it was included when i bought the case.

The HUB has the option to use an SATA power cable, but PWM control isn`t possible if i use it.

Latest iterations of ASUS fan expert are quite capable of controlling DC three pin fans. I have a Phanteks hub in my rig (Z270G) and the CPU fan cooler socket is wired to the hub input, connected via SATA power and drives 5x120mm 3 pin fans. It is possible to also control the fans using Q fan tuning facility in the bios as well, although you are not able to have such fine control as fan expert. Try it and see. You will have to do a deal of tinkering in the Q fan section because technically the CPU fan is now on DC control.

Epictobias wrote:

Well, all fan headers are rated at a maximum of 1A. You can connect multiple fans if the total power draw doesn't exceed that limit. Although you might also have to take into consideration that some fans draw more than the rated specifications when they start up.