cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP and Overclock

Sniper_3001
Level 7
Well after having a lot of problems with my Rog Maximus ix Code mb ie not being able to run anything more than 3600mhz ram, I decided to take it back to Asus and just get a formula mb. The interesting thing I noticed is that I was now able to hit 4000mhz ram speed but I also had to increase the voltage of the CPU by .01volts. Weird considering they should be pretty much the same mb.
Anyways here is the problem I'm having now.
CPU stock speed with XMP enabled with ddr4 4000mhz at 1.4v with auto everything (agent and vccio) works perfectly. Passes all tests.
CPU at 5.1ghz with ddr4 at default ram speed (like 2000mhz or something) works perfectly. Passes all tests.
When I try 5.1ghz at ddr4 4000mhz same settings for CPU and ram as above, it will sometimes post and when it does it will fail realbench. I tried to increase the voltage of the CPU but same thing.*
I don't understand why combining the two will cause errors? P.s CPU temps are sound 55-60 at full load for over an hour. Anyone have any ideas? CPU is delidded.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Sniper_3001

The problem is likely with agent and vccio set to auto.

Try:

CPU Sytsem Agent voltage 1.25 - 1.30v
CPU VCCIO voltage 1.20v - 1.25v

Dram voltage at 1.40v is fine.

If this doesn't help try Maximus Tweak Mode 2 at the top of the Dram Timing Control page.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Sniper_3001

The problem is likely with agent and vccio set to auto.

Try:

CPU Sytsem Agent voltage 1.25 - 1.30v
CPU VCCIO voltage 1.20v - 1.25v

Dram voltage at 1.40v is fine.

If this doesn't help try Maximus Tweak Mode 2 at the top of the Dram Timing Control page.

Ok I will try this. Is there any strategy on how to figure out the right combination? And should I be doing realbench for every combination? *

Nate152
It's pretty much trial and error until you get it fine tuned.

Realbench is a good program to use as it stresses every part of your system.

You can also try setting the ram manually instead of using XMP, this sometimes gives better results.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That is completely normal by the way...often you have to compromise between CPU OC and RAM OC. Often not possible to maintain peak for both without a lot of voltage and the attendant heat and current...

I would definitely set up manually for trying though...as Nate152 said...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
That is completely normal by the way...often you have to compromise between CPU OC and RAM OC. Often not possible to maintain peak for both without a lot of voltage and the attendant heat and current...

I would definitely set up manually for trying though...as Nate152 said...

When you guys say setup manually....do you mean no XMP but manually set dram MHz and memory timings? What timings would I use for 4000mhz? Is there a range? *

Nate152
You'd set:

AI Overclock Tuner to Manual

Dram Frequency - 4133MHz
Dram voltage - 1.40v

The timings are found on the Dram Timing Control page. At the very top are the primary timings and there should be three boxes enter in:

command rate 2 or 2N

Then you'll need to play with the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage until you can get it to boot and it may take a few tries. If you can't get it to boot you'll have to settle for a lower frequency.

Don't forget to Try Maximus Tweak Mode 2.

Ok so the good news is it passed realbench with vccio 1.22500 and agent of 1.250. The bad news is sometimes the computer will post sometimes it won't. Ie right after realbench I reset the machine and it wouldn't post. Does this mean lower or increase some of the volts?

Chino
Level 15
Failure to post correctly is symptom of unstable OC so you'll have to continue tweaking. Would be a good idea to treat CPU and RAM OC separately. Then combine and tweak as needed.