cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the FX502VM called GL502VMZ

frostywolf
Level 7
I would like to know is the FX502VM called GL502VMZ ? I check in Dxdiag and it shows it. I noticed it when I was talking to someone for help because I cannot update the NVIDIA Game Ready Driver to 381.65 , the person noted that my laptop model is GL502VM. I am using the FX502VM model laptop.
1 REPLY 1

GolFer
Level 8
frostywolf wrote:
I would like to know is the FX502VM called GL502VMZ ? I check in Dxdiag and it shows it. I noticed it when I was talking to someone for help because I cannot update the NVIDIA Game Ready Driver to 381.65 , the person noted that my laptop model is GL502VM. I am using the FX502VM model laptop.

I have the same laptop (2017, i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060 6GB) the FX502VM.

The reason why that's what it shows up as is because it is exactly what it is. The difference between the non-ROG counterpart is that what we have is the basic version without the options the GL502VM has.

This includes (but is not limited to...)

Full memory expansion (Up to 32 GB![and we have an 8GB stick soldered to the board.. bah!])
M.2 SSD Slot preinstalled with memory. (Ours is empty, however the option to install it in our own machines remains open)
Thunderbolt USB (we don't have it, duh!)
Better audio driver(s) -- (I can't remember what the FX has but it's not what the GL has)
Better cooling capacities (Thicker body, better airflow, check pictures of these models taken apart, you'll see!)
COST! The GL was a whopping $400ish difference in price when I was looking at it, at the time. And it only had the 1050Ti! Screw that! another $300 would have gotten me the GL502 with the 1070! Price point comparison between the two set me off and I gravitated towards the FX because it provided what I needed without the Badging.

Anyways, on paper, we have a GL502VM without the M.2 SSD and thunderbolt, but we have the hardware that matters most - the 7th generation Kaby Lake intel processor, and the GTX 1060 6GB (although I read about some people who were unfortunate in that the 1060 in their FX502VM models only had the 3GB variant) which can handle VR just as well as a ROG machine with the sticker that says so! (Of course... as long as you have the same GPU I do.)

Anyways, before I go farther off on a tangent, try just using a program that will automatically detect your hardware and install what it needs to. If you have more trouble, I advise it be run in compatibility mode for Win7. Though not exactly the best way to do it - it's a way that works.

Enjoy