cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY -Black Screen

Paracetamol_Gir
Level 7
Hey guys. I've got the WH71, and I've just encountered an issue where I'm getting a black screen and absolutely no monitor feedback. The computer will power on, the fans spin up, the keyboard lights, as do the power and battery indicators, but....nothing visually. I did notice, however, that the ROG logo does *not* light.

I've had the system only since late July (so it's not very old), and when I shut it down last, it had no issues whatever or indications of impending failure of any kind. I have had similar problems with other laptops, but obviously simply removing the battery isn't an option here.

Does anyone have any insight about what the problem might be? I'd like to know what to keep an eye out for before I start tearing the system down.
8 REPLIES 8

FirebirdTA01
Level 7
Does your computer have any other video ports? An onboard HDMI or VGA perhaps? Try starting the computer up with another monitor connected to one of those ports and report back. It could be caused by a number of things, even an automatically updated display driver. Another thing you can try is to power it on and give it sufficient time to boot. Press Fn + F(Whatever function key controls turning on/off your display, on my G73 F7 and F8 have this functionality). The function key press might get it to turn your display back on.

If another monitor doesn't work and it never boots, it might be your motherboard or gpu. You can try to reflow if its not under warranty, if it is then you may want to return it

Yes, I guess I should have mentioned that I did try HDMI.

Unfortunately, I don't have any additional monitors. The next best thing was a Vizio HDTV, but unfortunately all I got on that screen was a "no signal" error....which I'm not sure is a definitive enough indication of anything either way (or at least...I hope not).

Never actually connected my system to anything (17.3" was enough for me), so I'm not even sure if it's one if those cases where the PC needs to be manually set to another monitor in display settings.

It sounds like it might be your motherboard or GPU, but normally they don't go out like that. I mean they don't normally work fine until a shutdown/restart, most of the time they just break and you either get really strange display effects before shutdown, or the computer just turns off suddenly. Does that computer have a function key to switch monitors? My G73's F8 key switches between the laptop's display and an external one plugged in to one of the ports. You can try pressing Fn + F8 if your laptop is the same. Try that after you've given it enough time to start up and with the TV plugged in and cross your fingers. Do you know if there were any software updates done before you shut down the computer the last time?

No updates as far as I know, and I did indeed try the function keys first thing when I realized the problem.

Funny thing though: tried the HDMI connection again, and now it's displaying on the HDTV just fine (so I'm guessing that it was just classic Vizio mercuriality as I suspected). So I suppose there's a good chance the GPU is all right. Does leave me rather confused, though.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply, by the way. It's really, really appreciated.

Since the ROG logo isn't lit, perhaps it's a backlight issue?

Paracetamol Girl wrote:
Since the ROG logo isn't lit, perhaps it's a backlight issue?

Perhaps, but most of the cases where just the backlight goes out, you can still see things come up on the screen if you look hard enough or in the correct lighting. If you have a removable/upgradable GPU theres a chance it could still be the GPU. HDMI is controlled by the onboard video I believe (I could be wrong about this computer but I think thats the case), so HDMI out would/could still work. It might be socket creep from heating/cooling after many uses though. You can try to open it up and re-seat your GPU into its socket on the motherboard and see if that fixes the problem. Depending on how its build, you may not be able to get to your GPU without voiding the warranty however

I don't know why I didn't suggest this earlier after hearing you had HDMI out working... If you have a working external display, use that to go to your Device Manager inside of windows and see if there's anything highlighted there. There would be yellow '!' marks on the devices that were detected but not working properly. That may give some insight to the problem. If there's nothing shown in the lists with a '!' mark, check your "Monitors" and your "Display Adapters" drop down lists. There should be your graphics card listed in the "Display Adapters" and your computers screen listed in "Monitors" (and another one if you're using an external display).

benjmyers1
Level 7
Paracetamol Girl wrote:
Hey guys. I've got the WH71, and I've just encountered an issue where I'm getting a black screen and absolutely no monitor feedback. The computer will power on, the fans spin up, the keyboard lights, as do the power and battery indicators, but....nothing visually. I did notice, however, that the ROG logo does *not* light.

I've had the system only since late July (so it's not very old), and when I shut it down last, it had no issues whatever or indications of impending failure of any kind. I have had similar problems with other laptops, but obviously simply removing the battery isn't an option here.

Does anyone have any insight about what the problem might be? I'd like to know what to keep an eye out for before I start tearing the system down.

Have you installed the creaters update for windows? If so, did you install the latest nvidia driver? It breaks windows completely and will black screen. Avoid at all costs.