cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ryzen 7 1800X build impressions.

MeanMachine
Level 13
This is not a review as there are many out there. Mostly good and some complaining of poor optimization when gaming. Other reviewers basing their results on a 3.5GHz saying locked frequency and skewed graphs showing better results for Intel I7-6900K or 6950X. :mad: I take those reviews as Biased with a pinch of salt.
Just check out the price performance ratio. OMG has Intel been ripping us off.?

This is my latest build log based on the following specs:
CPU: RYZEN 7 1800X
MB: ROG Crosshair VI Hero
PSU: Antec HCP 850w Platinum Pro
DIMMs: Corsair 16GB (2X8)DDR4 CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 .
AIO: Corsair Hydro H115i
Case: Corsair Graphite 780T with all ML fans.

BIOS.
I updated to Bios 1002 to try. Not tried any of the other revisions as yet.
Qcode listings have many changes and some new unfamiliar listings. Qcode Od is undocumented which I got a lot off originally.
Once Bios was configured correctly it dosen't happen unless I switch the PSU off atm.
When I power on, the system Posts but sends me to Bios each time. I have to select boot priority to one of the two entries listed in Boot menu.

Boot Menu list has two entries:
1. M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
2. Windows Boot Manager (M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB) When I choose this entry Bios then goes to the OS.
I can't as yet boot straight to Windows. Bios tells me to adjust\disable Fan Speed low limit option. Tried all kinds of settings with no luck yet.

I had issues with my XMP profile which does not work. I manually keyed in the SPD Timings and Voltage and now clocked at 2933mhz.

It was easy to get 4GHz on the CPU, I just used the multiplier with BCLK at 100MHz.
One thing I have noticed is my temperatures dont read correct at 50C idle and research tells me that is an incorrect reading. My temperature probe tells me around 20C lower is correct.

Initial results based on Cinebench R15, CPUid HWMonitor, Aida64 and CPUz

I tested for 20mins in AIDA64 and temps got to 76C however the Ryzen Balance set for performance kicked in and increased my fans then temps settled at 67C.
I wanted to try Realbench stress test but I cant get it to run atm. 😞 The app opens but when I click on test nothing happens. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Here are some Stress test results:

Initial result are stable at 4.0GHz and i'm not done yet. Any comments or advice much appreciated. 😛 🙂

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]
98 REPLIES 98

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Will follow this thread with interest...much happier to see real users experience as opposed to for or against paid reviews.

One question...since AMD have said 1.35v maximum for CPU health and longevity...how come so many people are pushing more voltage? has the 1.35v been too conservative ?

Is your RAM on the QVL for the board MeanMachine? I wanted to know if the stuff coming from G.Skill for the platform and stuff on the QVL is plug and play...because lots of people were sticking Intel tuned RAM on and having a hard time getting it to run...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Will follow this thread with interest...much happier to see real users experience as opposed to for or against paid reviews.

One question...since AMD have said 1.35v maximum for CPU health and longevity...how come so many people are pushing more voltage? has the 1.35v been too conservative ?

Is your RAM on the QVL for the board MeanMachine? I wanted to know if the stuff coming from G.Skill for the platform and stuff on the QVL is plug and play...because lots of people were sticking Intel tuned RAM on and having a hard time getting it to run...

GDAY Arne :cool:

I think those recommendations of 1.35v on the Core are for air cooling and I think it would restrict your OC.
I left mine atm on Auto as there is an ability in Bios to OC if you have AIO cooling.

No I don't think my RAM are listed on the QVL. I took a chance when ordering and could return them if they don't work.
This Bios is so comprehensive. Trying to get my head around some of the RAM configs and settings is going to take me a while so I can understand some frustration.

Sorry guys my reply took so long to go thru and I thought it was not going to happen. Now I cant delete it.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

im curius i have the same cpu cooler and cpu but i cant even install windows what did you change im running default settings

Sweet build mate! I am waiting ram to restock and sent to me so i can build mine!

I also go the feeling of a ton of paid reviewers out there, or just plain ignorant people that don't know what they are talking about.
Games might be better of right now on higher clocked 4 core cpu but with new games that will utilise Vulkan and DX12 API from the get go and not added towards the end of development as a marketing ploy will be pushing draw calls from all cores not just 1... Couple of bios updates and faster memory for Ryzen and the argument is barely relevant anymore for higher clocked i7 or i5 quad cores.

Intel has been ripping us off with marginal performance gains since the introduction of the Nehalem and price gauging. AMD has finally returned into the fray at a point of time were intel is stuck at 14 nm! Wise move for AMD to licence samsung lithography process and ARM patents.

I wouldn't push voltage above 1.4 volts even with water. You should strive to use the get it stable with the least voltage possible if you want your cpu to live a long life.

SexyTerrorisT wrote:
Sweet build mate! I am waiting ram to restock and sent to me so i can build mine!

I wouldn't push voltage above 1.4 volts even with water. You should strive to use the get it stable with the least voltage possible if you want your cpu to live a long life.

Yea thanks for that SexyTerrorisT 🙂 Being a new platform and all will take some time to sort teething problems out especially the new Bios and temperature sensing issues.

I'm not too concerned with the Core voltage as is on auto atm cause my temps are in check. I was worried at first as temp readings I found were about 20C lower than what was being actually reported.
I found this statement from AMD saying the primary temperature reporting from a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short.
The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value to ensure they have a consistent fan policy.
AMD also say they are confident software will soon adjust automatically for this offset and report the true temperature when required.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Decoman
Level 7
I have the 250GB version of the 960 Evo SSD, though without ram sticks, my build is still incomplete (they won't ship for weeks apparently).

I have been wondering, if there might be a gain to use the official Samsung NVMe drivers as opposed to keep using the one presumably provided by Microsoft. I've also wondered how to do exactly that.

Decoman wrote:
I have the 250GB version of the 960 Evo SSD, though without ram sticks, my build is still incomplete (they won't ship for weeks apparently).

I have been wondering, if there might be a gain to use the official Samsung NVMe drivers as opposed to keep using the one presumably provided by Microsoft. I've also wondered how to do exactly that.

Sorry for the late response Decoman 😮

I took a gamble on the RAM I chose cause I didn't want any further delays. It was the MB availability for me that caused a delay.

I haven't as yet tried the official Samsung NVMe drivers so from what you said I looked into it and found this article: http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/glenn/beware-of-the-native-microsoft-nvme-driver/
The official Samsung NVMe drivers can be found here: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/overview.html

Here are my benchmark results as per Samsung Magician.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I'd highly recommend using the Samsung NVMe drivers they a very noticeable difference to drive performance, I'm now using the 082 EFI you can find in the other thread here with Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16 and no longer have any cold boot issues like i was with the older EFI version

Just interested in your OpenGL score seems a little low for a 1080

MeanMachine wrote:
Sorry for the late response Decoman 😮

I took a gamble on the RAM I chose cause I didn't want any further delays. It was the MB availability for me that caused a delay.

I haven't as yet tried the official Samsung NVMe drivers so from what you said I looked into it and found this article: http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/glenn/beware-of-the-native-microsoft-nvme-driver/
The official Samsung NVMe drivers can be found here: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/overview.html

Here are my benchmark results as per Samsung Magician.

I manage to get to 4160mhz on air but it sucks that cpu-z crashes everytime when I try to validate. Now I can't submit this on HWbot.63962