cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 Strix SLI Voltages

Agente_Silva
Level 9
Greetings 🙂

I have recently purchased a second GTX1080 Strix for an SLI setup. I was careful to buy the exact same version of the card already installed in my system, the M1 variant (with gaming mode clocks at 1734 MHz). Former drivers were DDUed 🙂 and installed the latest (381.65). From what I´ve being observing the GPU clocks run exactly at the same speed but voltages are always diferent under load. GPU1 is always .05 mV higher than GPU 2. Is this an issue?!

The experience I´m getting from gaming had a bit of a rough start (but at that time I didn´t know about Nvidia Profile Inspector)

Homefront The Revolution: - FPS increased a bit but not to the extent I was expecting (will try again with Ryse bits :))

Just Cause 3 simply doesn´t have an SLI profile.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided: although plagued with crash and performance issues, after some tweaking (graphic settings very high and Overwatch bits) I was able to play (Criminal Past) decently hovering 55-70 FPS on Full Screen and 60-100 on Exclusive Fulscreen (until is gave me a CTD after 15-20 minutes play). Anyway, those FPS, specially on Exclusive Fullscreen, are quite in the interval I expect from SLI.

HITMAN: another strange SLI performance - could be getting 100 FPS in one spot and 25 on another.

This is after playing HITMAN

Although not depicted in that image I could almost say for sure that despite GPU 2 being fed with less .05 mV it has more usage than GPU 1. I´ll check that when I get home.

On more taxing games like Deus Ex I get 1050 mV in GPU1 and 1000 mV in GPU2. The difference has been always .05 mV

Thnx for your attention 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No, it's not an issue...there will always be a difference in the silicon of each card and despite same make and model, one GPU may well need less voltage than the other to reach the same clock speed.

Also the first card in the pair will always work a bit harder than the other. I'm not sure that 1 and 2 go in order on the MB...I'd like to think so but would not be surprised to find that is not the case...

SLI unfortunately is not getting the support so is pretty much on its way out...soon 4K will be possible on a single card at 60FPS and it will disappear altogether

I am running SLI and increasingly wanting to change to single card...

Still, gives good scores in benchmarks!

Agente_Silva
Level 9
Thnx for replying 🙂

I see your point... althought I understand your point regarding the fadeout of SLI there´s the fact that consumers will never be satisfied when it comes to quality and performance. 10 years ago Full HD at 60 Hz seemed to be the settling point for hardcore gamers. Now there´s 120 Hz/144 Hz @ 1080p, 2K and 4K. Consequently the demand for powerfull hardware will continue to be intense and surely will not stop even @4K/144Hz 😛

This is just to say that after 4K@60Hz is conquered some will start to pair 1080Ti´s trying to reach 120 FPS and so on...

I understand that from a developer´s point of view, a miriad of PC setups means a lot of hard work to assure proper hardware/software compability. On the other hand I also understand they are interested in selling more (and PC enthusiasts in gaming market are still in a considerable percentage) so there will be a symbiotic relation between both parts regarding SLI support.

Also there are amazing people out there capable of creating/finding workarounds and/or solutions to many problems. In some cases those people seem to be quicker and most eficient even compared to "pros" 🙂

Raja
Level 13
I'd imagine dual GPU isnt going away fast. Display tech is improving too quickly for single GPUs to keep up. While support will be sketchy, the die-hard consumers will opt for dual solutions where possible. Yours truly runs two 1080s. Support isn't ideal, but where they work together, it allows me to maintain frame rates near the limit of my monitor, which is 100 Hz. FWIW, I can see the difference between 60 Hz and 100Hz. Anything over 120Hz is beyond my capabilities to discern.

Allow me to add something: it seems that tweaking Power Target to 120%, GPU frequency and setting performance instead of balance (in nvidia control panel) helps stabilizing gpu usage.

Agente_Silva
Level 9
AAA games will always bend the best of hardware. Unless you buy a 1080Ti for 1080p you´ll never run your most recent game at absolut full settings >60fps.

Anyway, alllow me to update my SLI experience so far:

Now that I finished HITMAN I can say that only on the first settings (Sapienza and Marrakesh) I had fps drops to 25. These drops were ridiculous: if I looked literally 2 cm to each side frames would rise to 100 and plummet back to 25 if I turned the mouse back to the original place (this happened looking at close range things like brick walls so not a case of high detailed draw distance like in Watchdogs 2 or something like that). After those two stages the game always hovered 70-100 fps.

Deus Ex (Criminal Past): using "Contact Hardening Shadows", "ScreenSpace Reflections Ultra" and "Ultra Textures" can easily eat 20 fps with imperceptible diferences (I´ve tested it for almost one hour. Applying settings, rebooting the game etc...). CHS is actually badly implemented and creats this odd shadow behaviour where at distance they are not visible and gradually are drawn as you come closer (besides not being real it feels almost like a pop-in bug). ScreenSpace Reflections Ultra gave me a gritty/sanded effect over reflections. Setting it to on solve it for me. I played this DLC hovering 55-70 fps on Fullscreen. Exclusive Fullscreen gave me CTD´s and I couldn´t find a solution to that... too bad because with this on I could reach 100 fps in most indoor settings. Still I want to go for a second run on this game, maybe I´ll have better luck.

Homefront: the Revolution - going through second run on this game and with nVidia´s profile (not the Ryse bits) the game hovers stable from 60-90 (on streets and exploring buildings respectively) and 100-120 (in subways or underground passages). Lightning and reflections on CryEngine are absolute gold... night time or rainy days are a wonderfull spectacle in this (underated) game. The skin reflections and "against light" effects are amazing as well. The effect of explosions/burning barrels reflecting on water pudles gives such an immersive feeling.

TL;DR - if you want a 4K high quality, issues free just about 60 fps experience, SLI is not for you. On the other hand if are willing to search for workarounds and/or wait for an official solution and play from 70-120 fps you will only get that with SLI.