cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coolant that will react to RGB lighting?

bjcsoln
Level 7
All, I am planning out my next build based around the Maximus IX, and what I am trying to figure out is if there is a coolant that I can use that will react to the changing RGB colours (however I choose to set it up).

Basically, instead of having a colour theme (like on my current build with the Rampage IV, I have red coolant to match the M/B and RAM) I would like to use some type of clear liquid that will highlight the RGB lights from the board (or from additional RGB light strips that I add).

I saw a design from Snef (Dark Aura build using an ASUS board) that seemed to be what I was looking for, but I haven't heard back from him yet so was wondering if anyone here had some advice. Can I use some type of clear liquid with a UV additive that will pick up the colour strips?

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

Zka17
Level 16
Hm... I've heard about clear coolant which reacts to UV, but none which react to RGB...
What you can do is choose blocks which support RGB strips... or, if you use clear tubing, mount the RGB strips on the tubes...

Zka17,

Thanks for the suggestion - I still want to try and crack what Snef did on his Dark Aura build and do something similar (but no hints from him yet). It may be that I just do some experimenting with some Darkside light strips (UVA and regular) and see how various coolants / additives react to them.

kkn
Level 14
he used RGB led strips on the sides and photographed it so the light hit the way he wanted.
if you see on the first few pics on this you see the reflection of the strips witch is hiden behind the door
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89781-WIP-*******Asus-CES-2017-builds-The-Dark-Aura-projec...

so dark room + full led light = more visability.

and he used coolant mix from mayhem.

xeromist
What you want isn't really feasible. You are talking about photochromism and such compounds change between two states, not on a rainbow spectrum. And actually I don't think I've even seen a photochromatic coolant that can do a basic opaque<->clear transition so that alone would probably be a first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photochromism
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks KKN, thanks Xeromist - I was planning on adding some extra light strips, but to your point I guess right now what I am looking for doesn't exist.

I know he added a few extra Mayham compounds to his coolant (and as I have read those compounds are really only for short-term show builds) that perhaps also helped to pick up and reflect the light. Maybe I will start out with clear liquid and see how much it refracts / picks up the light and if it doesn't really show it off then I will go back to my planned blue theme.

All this being said, I can't really do what I want until ASUS changes the colour range for the RGB lights anyway - I wanted to use the temperature range function but did not want to go from green - red: I wanted to go from blue (cool) to red (hot). I have seen other people ask for this so hopefully it's on ASUS's radar for future software releases.

upsnef
Level 8
the best coolant to reflect the color of the RGB led is Pastel white, if you look at my white shadow video, you will see all tube and reservoir follow the color from led strips

in Dark Aura, the first goal was to have real silver coolant

I used 2L of Mayhem Aurora silver (more white than silver), I added some mayhem oil black (maybe 150ml) and the coolant turn green, I addes some drop of mayhem orange dye
and the coolant turn to real silver and reflec light very well but its for short period of time, the aurora effect disappear after 3 or 4 month and comme to very very dark clear coolant who don't reflect light anymore